On 2012-10-22T14:12:17, Ulrich Windl <ulrich.wi...@rz.uni-regensburg.de> wrote:

> Interesting formula: I'd use something like "number of CPUs" * 4, not divided
> by.
>
> Reason: Today's workload is usually limited by I/O, not by CPU power.
>
> However with something crazy like 32 CPUs, 32 tasks can easily be run, but
> most likely will block or slow down each other (due to I/O, locking, etc.)

if the formula doesn't suit a particular environment, the variable can
be explicitly set as per adminstrative requirements. If one wanted to
get reallllly fancy, the idea of dynamic adjustment crosses the mind.

But surely it's better than the static "4" we had in the past ;-)

Regards,
    Lars

--
Architect Storage/HA