From: linux-ha-boun...@lists.linux-ha.org [linux-ha-boun...@lists.linux-ha.org]
on behalf of Andrew Martin [amar...@xes-inc.com]
Sent: Friday, February 01, 2013 4:15 PM
To: General Linux-HA mailing list
Subject: Re: [Linux-HA] best combo of software for HA (on Ubuntu 12.04)

Hello Paul,

I've recently worked through building the latest versions of Corosync (2.1.0 at
the time) and Pacemaker (1.1.8) on Ubuntu 12.04. I think you'll have the best
results if you work with the latest version of these services so that you
don't run into bugs that have since been fixed. If you simply build them from
source and do "make install", it should be pretty straightforward. If, like me,
you want to create packages to deploy on your production servers, then there's
a bit more work to be done. On Ubuntu, Pacemaker and Corosync depend on the
cluster-glue and resource-agents packages. I've been told that there should
be no problem using the versions of these packages provided in 12.04 with the
latest versions of Corosync and Pacemaker. The new version of Corosync also
introduces a new dependency, libqb (http://www.libqb.org/). You can also build
this from source.

>From repositories: cluster-glue resource-agents
>From source: libqb corosync pacemaker

Part of the complexity of building packages for Corosync and Pacemaker
is that Ubuntu divides these source packages up into a number of binary
packages, as defined here:
http://packages.ubuntu.com/source/precise/corosync
http://packages.ubuntu.com/source/precise/pacemaker

Thus when you compile your own version of Corosync or Pacemaker, you don't want
to have any of those packages installed.

I'd recommend using apt's "build-dep" option for installing all of the
dependencies you'll need to build Corosync and Pacemaker from source:
apt-get build-dep corosync
apt-get build-dep pacemaker

In regards to the cluster you set up, can you post your Pacemaker CIB or
additional details about your configuration? I think Corosync + Pacemaker + DRBD
should work well for what you'd like to do.

Thanks,

Andrew