I've got two-node clusters running Heartbeat (3.0.3-2.3.el5) and
Pacemaker (1.0.9.1-1.15.el5) from the clusterlabs repo on CentOS 5.9
(yes, I know my Pacemaker is a little old, but I don't want to upgrade
unless there is some reason to believe it will help). These clusters run
Xen virtual machines that provide critical infrastructure services (such
as DNS).

The problem is only that I don't know what is the best way to shut down
the entire cluster cleanly (e.g. as when we do electrical maintenance in
the data center and have a planned complete outage). Often one of the
nodes gets stuck at "Stopping HA Services" and eventually I just have to
hit the power button (physically or via IPMI).

I can get a clean shutdown if I shut down one node first, then the
second, but that isn't really "clean" because it causes all the virtual
machines from the first node to stop and start on the second node, then
go down again. I'd rather have everything just go down and stay down.

Is there a recommended method for taking a cluster out of service
cleanly?

Thanks,
--Greg