On Wed, 5 Jun 2013, Lars Marowsky-Bree wrote:

On 2013-06-05T12:09:31, Tony Stocker <tony.stoc...@nasa.gov> wrote:

Four (4) of my resource groups are related in that one of them is a process
master which farms out jobs to three (3) computing nodes (all of these are
running software designed in-house).  Now, without that process master node
the computing nodes are basically worthless.  How can I ensure that the
process master will continue to run in a low-availability scenario, even if
that means only running two (2) or even one (1) of the computing resource
groups?

Priorities and the resource utilization/load feature.

Lars, can the priority be set by a resource group or does it have to be set only at the primitive level? I'm looking at "Pacemaker-1.1-Pacemaker_Explained-en-US.pdf", section 5.4, Table 5.2 and section 10.1.2. In 10.1.2 it says options are inherited from primitives. But it doesn't seem to indicate that you can set an explicity priority for the group, can this be done? If not, is my best bet to set priorities on all of the primitives that make up the group or simply set it on 1 of them?

I don't think utilization will help simply because we can't run any of the resource groups concurrently on the same hardware, so every resource group needs an exclusive node. If they could share hardware, then utilization would be a good path for me to investigate.

Also, if you want to have the cluster keep going if below the "normal"
quorum threshold, you have to adjust this downwards using the
expected-quorum-votes.

At this point I'm not worried about going below the expected quorum (if we lose more than 5 nodes in a 12 node cluster, something major is up) but it's nice to know that we have the option to do so if we set appropriate priorities.

Regards,
   Lars

believed to be clean.