Hi,

Previously sent this question to pacemaker mailing list, have since learned of
this list that is probably more appropriate. Apologies to those that listen in
on both and have seen question already:

I have been doing some testing of a fairly standard pacemaker/corosync setup
with DRBD (with resource-level fencing) and have noticed the following in
relation to testing network failures:

- Handling of all ports being blocked is OK, based on hundreds of tests.

- Handling of cable-pulls seems OK, based on only 10 tests.

- ifdown ethX leads to split-brain roughly 50% of the time due to two
underlying issues:

1. corosync (possibly by design) handles loss of network interface differently
to other network failures. I can only see this from the point of view of the
logs: "[TOTEM ] The network interface is down.", which is different from
cable-pull log, where I don't see that message. I'm guessing this as I don't
know the code.

2. corosync allows a non-quorate partition, in my case a single node, to update
the CIB. This behaviour has been previously confirmed in reply to previous
mails on pacemaker mailing list and it has been mentioned that there may be
improvements in this area in the future. This on its own seems like a bug to me.

My question is: is it possible for me to configure corosync/drbd to handle the
ifdown scenario or do I simply have to tell people "do not test with ifdown",
as I have seen mentioned in a few places on the web? If I do have to leave out
ifdown testing, how can I be sure that I haven't missed out testing some real
network failure scenario.

It is not feasible to do hundreds of cable-pulls, which is effectively what I'm
trying to simulate. I will look into introducing failures via the switch, but
ideally I'd like to be able to handle ifdown properly or have a clear
explanation/justification for corosync's handling of ifdown (or maybe this is a
general ifdown issue, independent of corosync?)

I would really appreciate advice on this as it's a serious issue for me.

Thanks,

Tom