On Thu, Sep 04, 2014 at 04:23:36PM +0200, Ulrich Windl wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Yes, it helps: The problems with ping are:
> 1) There is no error if you use an interface alias with -I (like bond0:xyz)
> 2) You can use an IP address as "interface" for -I

Right. So what is wrong with that.

If you already know you want to explicitly specify it,
you probably also know which IP address you want to specify?

> 3), but you cannot use a hostname (resolving to the same IP address as in 2)):
> "ping: unknown iface <hostname>"

Send a patch upstream to check if
  "interface" can be matched as interface
  or, failing that, can be resolved.

That would still require it to be presently configured on that host...
Does not look like the right approach to me.

        Lars