On Tuesday 26 July 2005 16:46, Jeremy Utley wrote:
> > Hmm...I can understand Keyspan not wanting to release the driver
> > sources for the chipset

I meant to say: 'firmware sources'.

The Keyspan device driver *is* open-source, and, I believe, was
written by (or with assistance from) the manufacturer. This is why I
purchased this particular gizmo.

Firmware is what programs up the chipsets inside the device.  By
studying what registers are being written to, it would make it easier
to reverse-engineer the hardware.

I have another USB<>RS232 converter (USB1000 single-port ) based on
the FTDI chipset, which doesn't require a firmware download and works
with out-of-the-box Debian 3.1

Wilbert, ZL2BSJ

-