Chris Kantarjiev wrote:

That's why I'd favor using SOCK_STREAM for AX.25 connections (just
as TCP uses SOCK_STREAM) - there's no requirement with SOCK_STREAM
that the sender and receiver coordinate on the size of the largest
write operation.  This would seem to ease the software compatibility
problem quite a bit!

But TCP is a reliable stream, without internal record delimeters. SOCK_SEQPACKET is meant to retain the record delimiters and make them visible to the endpoints.

So it depends entirely on what the application level is trying to do.

Quite right!  I think that there are plenty of places for both
sorts of protocols.

I do think that having SOCK_STREAM available for AX.25 would be a good
idea.  It would make it easier for TCP-based applications to be ported
over to AX.25.

-