On Thu, 18 Feb 1999, Ronnie Hale wrote:

> I agree with Jose.  This is a "gotcha" for most every newcomer to linux
> ax25, and totally unnecessary.  Someone dropped the ball here, and it's time
> to fix it.  If ax25 doesn't work without MKISS, why is MKISS an option?

  For the very same reason we have all drivers as options. ax25 works just
fine without mkiss, if you happen to run it over, say, the 6pack or BPQ
ethernet drivers. Some people might not need KISS and it would be foolish
to force them load it in their valuable RAM. It's a hardware driver, just
like the hundreds of ethernet, SCSI, mouse drivers.

  In the 2.2 configuration all the amateur radio code is selectable in one
single "Amateur Radio support" section so it should be fairly easy to find
the right stuff. Thanks to whoever got the idea of putting them there.

  - Hessu