Thanks James. It appears to be the case that APRS for dos and
windows is written in Quick Basic. This is not the end of the world. I was
told by a computer science professor that I, who went to school before the
advent of computers, should use Quick Basic to write the programs I needed
in EE.

        I bought Quick Basic and used it on my old 88286 computer and it
was good. It taught me to write good code. Another co-worker showed me how
to write the source away from the Quick Basic editor and then put it back
to test.

        All this said there is a ham writing a completely new APRS server
for Linux without any help from anyone. It will run in X windows and have
buttons and all the nice GUI stuff. I hope he gets some help so he gets it
done. It's a big job!