>       I've been fighting the new kernel blues. I was for-warned that it
> will not use the old serial port notation and made sure all of mine are in
> the /dev/ttyS0 type. The first config I made used modules and it was a
> total disaster! The new module loader I found was not even compiled! I
> found the source code in a /linux/ directory.
>
>       So I re-compiled with zero modules and it still fails. It will not
> run several applications including one in the ax25 group. The deman that
> keeps track of heard stations will not run. For some reason I can't ping
> or connect over the ax25 system. Nothing seems to work.
>
>       Has anyone got 2.2.0 working? What did you do for the module
> problem?
>
>       I am back using 2.0.36 which runs fine and seems to work well. But
> I am booting with a floppy. I want to use the new kernel.
>
> Best wishes
>
>        - Karl F. Larsen, [EMAIL PROTECTED]  (505) 524-3303  -

ax25-utils fails to find stuff in /etc/ax25/axports.  Something to do with
the SIOCGIOCONF ioctl not working unless the port has an IP address
assigned.  Try assigning one (even if you don't use it).  Also, the
socket(AF_INET, SOCK_PACKET) calls need to change to socket(AF_AX25,SOCK_PACKET) or
something like that.  Here's an incomplete SOURCE RPM that I set up.
It includes a patch for my own stuff that you may not want to include:
http://www.columbia.edu/~alan/ham/.

Read and understand my patches before using them.  They are incomplete and
will break.  It was a quick fix.

73 de Alan N2YGK