Hi,

As this is my first posting to this list I thought I would inrtoduce
myself and give a little background before jumping in with questions.

I am "old" to linux and "new" to ham.

I have been doing what is now called "wearable computing" for well
over a decade.  For the last 5 years the OS on the rig I wear has been
linux.  I primarily use an audio output only (text-to-speech)
environment but I do have a display with me as well.  If you want to
see the computer I wear there is a description and a few pictures at
http://www.cs.vassar.edu/~priestdo/wearable.html

I am just now going for my first ham licence.  It is something I have
always wanted to do and now is the time. I hope to take the test the
end of this month at a ham fest which is also were I would like to get
my first equipment.

I would like to add packet and arps to the computer that I wear, a
P166 running slakware 3.6 (with ax25 and allthe other ham option
sbuilt as loadable modules last week...).  I gather that means I am
looking at javaARPS and a 2 meter HT.

I am hooked up with some of the local hams and they are a great bunch
of folks, but none of them use linux (yet :-).  I am sure they can
help me find a used transever that can handle the demands that packet
and portability put on a device, but I have questions regarding TNCs
that work well with linux.

Is there a TNC equivalent of the linux-laptop page?  Somewhere I can
look to see which devices people have had good success with, which
ones give problems?

Specifically I am looking for recommendations for equipment that works
well with linux in a low power high use setting and also is likly to
be available used (not this years hot item).

I am not asking how to "do it all without spending a dime" - I am just
trying to benifit from the experiance of those who have done this before.

I am thinking strongly of going with a baycom device as it seems like
a good way to keep size, cost and power consumption to a minimum.  It
*seems* to be supported under linux and it also seems like an item I
am likly to find used at a fest.  A number of the DOS packet folks
have told me about problems getting baycoms to work though, which is
why I am asking here about how well they actually *do* work under
linux.

Are folks haveing good sucess with the 1200 baud baycoms and linux?
What about the 9600 baud Parallels?  If you are using one of these and
you are willing to share your views I would appreciate hearing about
it.  At the same time if there are particular models of "stand alone"
TNCs that people have had good or bad results with or that you have
found to be well suited to highly portable use (small, light weight) I
would be interestred in knowing so I can put them on a list to look
for (or what to look out for).

Thanks,

Greg

--