This might be slightly off-subject, but if this list is not the proper forum,
please point me to a more appropriate list. This list is the only Linux list
to which I subscribe, and I have always been impressed with the quality of
the information on this list, even for off-subject topics.

I'm looking for a piece of software that makes it possible to see the output
and supply the input of a running program from another machine.

Let me try to explain the situation more in detail so that you can better
understand the problem: Our OZ7SAT automatic ground station comprises two PCs,
one - the 'space segment' runs PB/PG and an administration program that takes
care of tuning the radio and controlling the rotator. Each of these programs
has its own console, which is obtained by redirecting stdin and stdout to the
proper (p)tty. Incidentally, the programs use curses for screen management.

The other PC - the 'ground segment' - is our web server and does the post
processing of downloaded files. The two PCs are connected by an Ethernet and the
file system of the 'space segment' PC is NFS-mounted on the 'ground segment' PC.

Presently we also use the 'ground segment' PC as console for the programs of
the other PC. We achieve this by telnet'ing to the 'space segment' PC and
redirecting stdin and stdout to the ptty that is used be the telnet session -
ptty1 for the first telnet session, ptty2 for the next, etc.

This approach has several disadvantages:
-  It is inflexible as it require us to do the telnets in a very controlled
   manner. It also prevents others from looking at the console.
-  If the 'ground segment' PC for some reason should not be running, the
   administration process, which is started from the telnet session, will
   terminate and we will get no data from the satellites.

What we are looking for is some piece of software that makes it possible to
- on the fly - redirect the program's console, preferably to more than one
user at a same time.

Any help will be much appreciated, be it a specific program or 'just' a
design
hint.

Best 73 de Bent/OZ6BL

PS: If somebody cries Back Orifice for Linux, you may be right - at least
as I undestand BO - but let's not start a flame war on this. We believe we
know what we are doing. A more positive approach is to suggest a better
solution to our problem. Thank you.