Hi richard,

  I'm a new ham, but I might be able to help you with the sendmail
  problem. Some things are not clear from your mail. 1) are xx.1 and xx.3
  both running sendmail and 2) why is mail going to xx.1

  If xx.1 is recieving mail for some reason... you can enable mail
  relaying to xx.3  using sendmail.cf however, let me know what is the
  problem exactly... and let me know the version of sendmail you are
  runing.

rkt