Okay, I have Redhat 6.0 installed, and I'm looking for an example on how
to setup the soundmodem and ax25.

Is there an easy way to figure out what modules are compiled in a kernel?
I tried 'inmod hdlcdrv' as in the ax25 how-to  after installing the
ax25-utils, and I get an error, so I assume that means I have no
soundmodem stuff in my kernel -- right?  It says no module found.  Or do
I just run sethdlc without installing it as a module? I'm not really
sure how the 'sethdlc' program and the 'module' interact.

Anyway, apparently, I don't have enough room to recompile the kernel, so I'm
going to try again installing less stuff after reformating this hard drive.  That's
going to suck up the rest of tonight as I go through all that again.

My assumption is, and please correct me if I'm wrong, is that I
need to install the ax-utils rpm, rebuild the kernel with Soundmodem for
Soundblaster installed, (I have a SB16 in the machine) and Radio network
interfaces.  Then, jump ahead to the 'insmod hdlcdrv' and 'insmod soundmode mode=...'
commands in the ax25 help page.  Then I can patch in the rest of the
sample config files that are in the etc directory, right?

I've listened to the local 9600 baud channel 145.71, and I hear somebody
out there, so I've decided to go ahead, and give it a shot, and order
one of the MFJ 2m packet radios.  Though I guess  I won't bother with 9600
until I get 1200 working ok.