Steve Dimse K4HG wrote:

> On 6/21/99 1:08 AM jim ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
>
> >I am interested in APRS. I have a KPC-9612 and wish to receive APRS
> >information from a local repeater (APRS repeater) and display it on my
> >Linux box over a 10baseT network. My radio and tnc are connected to a
> >Pentium class machine on the end of my LAN, and I would like to run the
> >software there, but view the maps inside on another box. Any suggestions
> >for a good piece of software for Linux?
> >
> There is only one Linux display program released so far, XASTIR
> (http://www.eazy.net/users/fgiannan/linux/), in very early alpha form. To
> do what you seem to be asking, you would need to run a Windows program
> like WinAPRS, which incorporates a built in APRS data server, and connect
> to that with XASTIR.
>
> There also is a good APRS server for Linux, aprsd
> (http://www.wa4dsy.radio.org/aprs/Welcome.html), which would let you
> connect to the tnc and serve the data that way, though it sounds like the
> Linux box isn't where the tnc is.
>
> Setting all this up isn't a beginner's exercise in APRS though!
>
> Steve K4HG

Steve, I have two Linux boxes, one of which is connected to the KPC9612.
I would like to run the software that decodes the APRS information on
that machine, then view it from another Linux box in a different
location on my LAN. Do I need to set up the server on the box with the
tnc and the viewer on the remote computer?

So it's not a beginner's exercise. I have friends here who can help,
right?

73 de Jim, KI7AY