On Mon, 28 Jun 1999, Michele A Debandi wrote:

> On Sun, 27 Jun 1999, Gabriel Calin wrote:
>
> > Hello all
> >
> >     This is the problem. I have two servers about 3km
> > apart (1.6 miles) and I have to conect them using a
> > radio system. The connection speed is not a problem
> > (9600 would be fine), but the $$ to do that is a
> > little bit limited. To make things worst, there's a
> > building in the way, so I have to transmist the
> > signal to the top of the building and then back down
> > to the other server.
> You could use a Wireless LAN system on 13 cm band.
> No (except in Italy) costly lincense required, integrates
> transparently on IEEE 802 LAN, easy to set-up.
> Plug the board into a Cisco router or a Linux box acting as a router,
> attach a suitable antenna, configure the router and all works.
> Using a g3ruh with a couple of fm radio is costly (a commercial service
> V/UHF radio is about $500 and you need a commercial license) and
> 1000 times slower than a wavelan system, you have to twek with ax.25,
> that is insuitable if you have to use IPX or netBEUI.

Or you can get "radiomodems" - these are integrated modems/tranceivers
that work in the "unlicenced" 400MHz bands (these are in the UK and
most of Europe, probably elsewhere too). There are various of these which
operate at speeds of 9600 and above. Connectd to a couple of simple
aerials these will give more than the range you require, even over an
obstructed path.

Supplimentary:

Does anybody have a *cheap* source of Wavelan cards?

Geoff
--
     Geoff  Blake        [EMAIL PROTECTED]          linux 2.0.36
      Chelmsford            [EMAIL PROTECTED]             sparc - i586