On Sun, 4 Jul 1999, Tomi Manninen wrote:

} On Sun, 4 Jul 1999, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
}
} > Doesn't Red Hat provide any way to have modules automatically loaded
} > at boot up time? On Debian, we can list such modules in /etc/modules.
} > Then /etc/init.d/modutils loads each module in turn from that listing,
} > using modproble.
}
} Not that I know of. There might well be but I at least don't see the
} point...
}
        Then your not using Red Hat at all or you would KNOW they use
kerneld to load modules.

} > >   Enter Red Hat 6. This version has 90% of the 2.2.5 kernel on
} > > board as modules, and a very large file called /boot/modules-2.2.5-15
} >
} > What is /boot/modules* ? We have no such file on Debian. Perhaps it
} > is like our /etc/modules.
}
        Wish I knew what that did too. It's in both version 5.2 and 6.0 of
Red Hat.

} I guess Karl means /boot/module-info which seems to be a list of options
} the various modules take. I guess one of the GUI configuration tools in
} RH6.0 uses it for something, I don't know. I have never touched it and
} everything has worked like a charm for me...
}
        /boot/module-info is a sim-link to /boot/modules-2.2.5-15 if you
care to look.

} > It is a mistake to believe that every module you built should always
} > be loaded. I compile modules for many things I use only occasionally
} > eg minix file system, soundmodem, kiss etc. There is no advantage in
} > using modules if you use all of them all the time, IMHO.
}
} This should go without saying.
}
} > Sorry I could not be of more help. I have never encountered problems
} > like these on Debian, and I have been using kernel modules for about
} > three years now.
}
} Don't worry Hamish. Karl seems to be a special case. He manages to create
} a problem from something that works like a charm for anyone else...

        Tomi, are YOU using the new ax25-utils from CSmall and does your
netromd from that compile work fine? I don't create problems Tomi I
discover them when trying to use the alfa level software we have for Ham
Radio. Not complaining. Just pointing out problems.

}
} --
} Tomi Manninen           Internet:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
} OH2BNS                  AX.25:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
} KP20ME                  Amprnet:   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
}
}

Best wishes

         - Karl F. Larsen, [EMAIL PROTECTED]  (505) 524-3303  -