The Loopback port was put there to enable programs like FBB to talk to other
progs like TNOS, as if they were talking to them via a TNC & Wireless. Older
versions of node software would only allow applications talks to the outside
world, and not "loop back" into another application.
For example : my bbs : GB7ZPU runs an archaic setup using DOS5, Desqview
386, BPQ4.08a,  FBB 5.15c, UKNOS 1.10i, and up until recently, a specially
cut-down JNOS 1.10i as a standalone Convers server. The whole system acts as
a AX25 mail gateway to IP, together with NNTP gateway, FTP server, etc. In
the UK, ax25 and ip nets are (should be) on separate channels, so they don't
interfere with each other, or should I say, that ax25 doesn't interfere with
ip's more friendly protocols!

The loopback idea was carried onwards by the authors as it is useful in many
applications, even under Linux (LinFBB/Xfbb).

As software is moving onwards, the need for the Loopback is becoming less
(except for sad old DOS software!), and even in the world of Gatesville99,
authors are moving to a more socket orientated way of talking to the outside
world with packet radio. SV2AGW's latest packet engine uses WinSock / ip
interfaces for applications, and is damned easy to setup and run. It's a
pity that some of the Linux amateur wireless apps are not this simple, or
more hams would move over to what is a superior operating system. Just that
it's user interface is crap compared to 95/98/NT in terms of adding
programs/utilities/hardware support etc..

I shall stop digging, and carry on with working out how to get this latest
kernel on my machine (and working!).

Regards (I don't use 73 - that's a Morse Code abbreviation!)

Rob. G1ZPU