> On Sat, 10 Jul 1999, John Ackermann wrote:
>
> > Last week I posted a question about an interaction I saw when trying to
> > use LinuxNode to establish an AX.25 connection with another LinuxNode
> > over an axip link.  I didn't receive any replies that explained what
> > was happening, so I did my best to figure it out.  The paragraphs below
> > are a first draft of the explanation I plan to put into the gateway
> > section of the book.  I'd really, really, appreciate any feedback on
> > whether this explanation is correct, or coherent.
>
> Hi John, I was going to answer to your original question but with all the
> other things going on I forgot...
>
> Anyway your description of the problem seems correct to me. In NOS every
> axip link is a straight pipe between the two points and there is no
> interaction with the callsigns. With ax25ipd the whole routing is based on
> callsigns and that results in the problems you described. I hadn't
> thought of NET/ROM as the solution but I guess it works. :)
>
> What we have done here is that we put ax25ipd to digipeater mode and gave
> it a callsign. So then from the local node I can connect to the node in
> Kuopio with "c axip oh7rba-2 v oh2rbi-3 oh7rba-11" where oh2rbi-3 is the
> digi call of the local ax25ipd and oh7rba-11 is the digi call of the
> ax25ipd in Kuopio. As ax25ipd routes the frames based on the next
> digipeater that hasn't been digipeated this works for all users. Of course
> this is a bit more uncomfortable for the users, but it avoids the use of
> NET/ROM if that is an issue.

Hi Tomi --

I've never quite understood how ax25ipd in digipeater mode works;
thanks for providing an example.  One further question, though -- in
that scenario, do you also need to run axdigi?  axdigi has always been
troublesome to me because it is wide open, and allows people to digi to
and from ports where I'd prefer they didn't...

John