I am little new to Linux and Amateur Radio however I am interested in the
subject area.
        However despite all the HOWTO's and documentation however I am still
unsure as to what the AX.25 protocol actual does. I have bought a second
hand BayCom Modem and understand that the bits written by Thomas Sailer
make Linux one of the few OS's to support it.
        Am I right in thinking that the AX.25 is a basic layer that any of the
applications can use? Or do most of them communicate with the TNC itself. I
would apreciate anyone who tries to explain this to me.

Thanks a lot

Tom Edwards