On Wed, 22 Sep 1999 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Hi Tom , tnx for the reply, now I'm getting really confused, as I have
> already set the retry timers to linear, but they still behave as
> exponential timers. I was told that the kernel timers in 2.0.36 are
> exponential, Can this be clarrified ?

The AX.25 T1 (retry) timer has three modes in the linux implementation.
First is no backoff, second is linear backoff and third exponential.
(The numbers for the sysctl interface are 0, 1 and 2 respectively.)
AFAIK the timers work just fine both in 2.0.x and 2.2.x.

> But if you either telnet or ftp kernel to kernel over a not to good
> path, once a couple of packets have been missed the backoff time just
> get worse. I cant do much about the path , it got a big lump of iron
> ore in the way, it a great microwave reflector !!! but if I can
> improve the rate of retry attemps it would help..

You are talking about the TCP timers here. Nothing to do with the kernel
AX.25 implementation. That code is done by completely different people and
I doubt we have much chances of getting that changed. Everything except
exponential TCP timers is simply concidered evil in the real world.
(However Jonathan did a patch long time ago that set the TCP timers to be
linear. Jonathan called the patch something like "the evil sick TCP timer
patch...")

> the retry timers in tnos can be set to linear and when set are linear,
> the Tampa convers server, and the modified and cleaned up variant HTPP
> also behave linearly.

This however confuses me. Are you saying that you are using HTPP, a normal
Linux application, and TNOS timers have an effect on convers connections?

--
--- Tomi Manninen / [EMAIL PROTECTED] / OH2BNS @ OH2RBI.FIN.EU ---