I've noticed a strange behaviour of Linux encapsulating
IP packets in AX25 frames. It seems that it prefers to encapsulate
them in UI-frames which is not a good choice for some connections
where I-frames within a AX25 connection orientated transfer would
be desirable.

That what I call strange is the following:
Also Flexnet on a Windows98 system supports both methods which are
called Datagramm (for transfers of IP within UI-frames) and VitualCiruit
(for I-frames). When connecting from Flexnet to Linux with setting VC
Linux answers the SABM+ correctly with UA- and reads the IP packet
within the I frame. The thing that I call strange now, is that Linux answers
again with UI after some packets and Flexnet automatically goes to
Datagram mode unless I tell Flexnet to keep VC permanently. But even
with VC set to permanent, Linux insists answering with UI frames.

Do you know how I can tell the linux system to use UI's only for
local stations on the local port and use I's for digipeated stations
which log in from the port which is connected to a link.

Thanks in advance
Robert