> From: Richard Adams <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2000 18:32:49 +0000
> Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> On Tue, 18 Jan 2000,  Haines Brown wrote about,  test (ORBS):
> > Sorry for this test, but there's currently a discussion taking place
> > on another list on this server (linux-newbie) re the server's ORBS anti-spam
>database
> > "feature" and whether it drives away potential subscribers. I need to
> > know if the server accepts my messages, and hence this test.
>
> Haines did you unsubscribe like i suggested and resubscribe with your new
> address. ???
>
> One thing which seems odd, All mail from linux-hams "normally has"
> linux-hams as a replyTo header, this mail has [EMAIL PROTECTED] as
> reply-To.

Richard,

Exactly. Sorry I didn't make that clearer (I'm carrying on the same
dialog on two lists, and that's confusing).

I ran the unsub command and then re-subscribed on the linux-hams list,
and that seems to work, as my test message indicates. I did not go
through this yet on the linux-newbie list because it is where the
issue is being discussed, and I did not want to risk loosing any
messages.

Perhaps in spite of people throwing stones at ORBS, I suspect the root
of my own problem was a change in my local machine hostname as I switched
it from being on a LAN to a stand-alone workstation. I subscribed
under one hostname, and when I tried to communicate with the list
server under another, got into trouble, forcing me to use Netscape,
which for some reason is dumber.

As for the ReplyTo header, that is probably a function of how my mail
utility works, since it is what assigns strings to the variout
outgoing mail fields. In my case, I'm using rmail under emacs as my
mail handler (although I just heard from someone who seemed surprised
that was possible!).

Haines