On Fri, Feb 04, 2000 at 10:56:06AM +0800, Philip Maley wrote:
> Hi Brian and others
>
> I was running a fourport card for a while on vk6bbs but
> it used only a single irq (5). My understanding is that each
> fourport card has a single irq and each port has a unique
  ^^^^^^^^

There are such cards, you are right. But chances are when the card has IRQ
jumpers for each port (e.g. 4 on a 4-port card) that there is _no_ IRQ sharing
cirquity.
If you want to share several fourport-type cards you stll would have to make
modifications to them, or possibly use IRQ-sharing cables on a special
connector on that cards.

> io port address. The other thing is why is there a "^" before
> "fourport"?

It means 'not a fourport'-type card. Fourport cards and some clones have a
special register to quick look up which of the ports really has caused an
interrupt. (As opposed to polling each port individually). Linux
can use that register if available. In fact it's the default for some ports
ttyS5 onwards. So one can switch it off.
'^fourport' not needed on ttyS0..3 (because it's the default) but it won't
hurt either.

> 73
> Phil Maley vk6ad

73 Thorsten

--
| Thorsten Kranzkowski         Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]                        |
| Mobile: ++49 161 7210230        Snail: Niemannsweg 30, 49201 Dissen, Germany |