On Tue, May 23, 2000 at 09:10:39AM -0400, Jon Bloom wrote:
> > Thank goodness. I was just going to say -- at least use standard formats.
> > The QEX 81-98 CD is ugly to view in Linux (uses a mix of TIF and JPG
> > files from memory);
>
> TIFF and JPEG aren't standard formats?

Yes they are -- but there's no easy way to browse through the pages.

> Actually, I've been thinking about putting something together for Linux to allow
>reading the QST (QST View), QEX and NCJ CD-ROM collections. Having the images in
>TIFF/JPEG format makes that a lot more feasible.

Yep. That sounds great. Perhaps not too hard using Tcl/Tk or Perl/Tk
or similar. So the QST View CDs also use the TIF/JPG mix? Glad to hear
they're not all in the MS proprietary format.

> That's correct; it was made using Microsoft's Media View product (sort of an
>enhanced Windows help file). No new ARRL products will use that.

Great.

> > The AView program is yuck.
>
> Not a particularly informative comment. Did you have some specific gripe or were you
>just trying to be insulting?

Sorry, no offense was intended. It is certainly usable. However, I would
prefer that the original formatting/layout was maintained, as with
PDF or TIF/JPG etc. The QST/NCJ/QEX viewer (looking at 1998 for example)
does not preserve the formatting. From memory images are viewed separately
too (although I don't have the CD in the drive to confirm that at present.)

73
Hamish (who just join the ARRL a week or two ago, coincidentally)
--
Hamish Moffatt VK3SB <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>