On Thu, 8 Jun 2000, Richard Adams wrote:

> I belive Tomi has said before, you can ignore them, but for the record my
> comments.
> BTW; just about all of my ax25 stuff is modules.
>
> > Jun  8 19:00:25 gb7cip kernel: kissparms uses obsolete
> > (PF_INET,SOCK_PACKET)
>
> I have serveral machines all running kernel ax25 netrom, drivers include
> mkiss scc dxlmodem, i also get the obsolite message for;
> netromd and mheardd, but not from kissparms, further more i cant say i have
> seen your problem.

The message can come from any program that uses the packet capturing
interface the old way. These include kissparms, listen, netromd, mheardd,
xfbbd... However the kernel only prints the warning once after a boot so
what you see in your system logs depends on how you set up your AX.25.

Anyway, once again, the message is completely harmless. It just warns us
that sometime in the future this backwards compatibility feature will be
removed and the program will stop working. All this has already been taken
into accound in recent versions of ax25-tools/apps (if someone sees this
message when using the very latest tools/apps please let us know).

--
Tomi Manninen           Internet:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
OH2BNS                  AX.25:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]