You know Peter, I think Bob's got a few good points (actually, both you two
have some good thoughts).

For example, I'm probably a bit atypical to the ham community. I'm a Linux
"ancient" but a ham newbie - most everyone I come across is the other way
around. Been using Linux since it was two 5.25 floppies, no networking code,
no X, just a filesystem.

I picked up my technician study books back at the same time, but never found
the time to get it done. Built a couple Internet companies and finally
decided last month to take the darn exam. Now I'm studying for my general.

I was glad to find this list, having been surprised at the absence of Linux
ham current material. But the emails I see are non-ham kernel compile
questions. It'd seem, perhaps, that we have two very separate demographics
with the same interest,  experienced hams and experienced Linux hackers.

I think Peter's got a good point that the list should support answers that
to the Linux hacker are basic. (Hopefully, the elmers on the list will be
equally supportive and tolerant when I ask some brainless ham questions
too:-) )

Incidentally, I have to believe that the Linux hams have the most to offer
the future of amateur radio -- the spirit of the open source community and
its accomplishments could make a dramatic impact on the amateur world.
Things we deal with in the international IP arena -- IPv6, 3G (third
generation cellular, which uses IPv6), WAP, Bluetooth and others are going
to radically change wireless. Hams need to push that envelope, or be
eclipsed by the commercial sector and rendered irrelevant.

JRS

--

James R. Saker Jr.
Vice President, Internet Services