  Re: Ensoniq Driver (Markolf Gudjons)

From: Jonathan Wurtz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Intel EtherExpress Pro/100B Problem
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 1998 17:19:35 -0500

problem.

If the DHCP negotiation failed, no interface for eth0 will show up in
ifconfig, even though the device is recognized.

My cable modem service (@Home) set me up with the same setup, though it
was a 10Mbps EEPro.  I tried everything I could think of, using DHCPCD
7.0, and finally determined that the EEPro card was not working.  Check
/proc/interrupts to see that your card is getting the interrupts it
needs for both Tx and Rx.  If you have a LAN sniffer, or tcpdump(1) on
another linux box, use them to verify that your DHCP requests are
actually hitting the wire.  Also make sure that PnP is turned off (use
the DOS configure program that came w/ the card) or isapnptools has been
used to correctly configure the card.  I never did get the card running
under Linux and eventually gave up and got a cheap NE2000 clone, which
works fine for me, using DHCPCD 7.0.  The different card is OK for DHCP
(at least w/ @home) because is assigns IP addresses based on hostname,
not MAC address.

As for the two nodes on one modem, I would think this probably won't
work
unless your ISP has allocated two different IP addresses and two
different
host names to you (for an extra charge, I'm sure).  If you want to use
your cable modem as a gateway to the internet, you'll probably have to
put
a second LAN card in the gateway node and run IP masquerading (check IP
masquerading mini-howto) to get your lan working with just one IP
address.
This is, of course, if your ISP does not forbid you to use their service
as
a gateway (#include <stddisclamer.h>).

That's my two cents.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 00:18:58 -0600
From: Heikki Julkunen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: writing to Ultra DMA disk & skips when using sound card
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup

Hi.

I'm using Debian 2.0 & Linux 2.0.36.
I have three big UDMA drives, a 10Gb Conner, a 10Gb WDC and
a 12Gb Quantum Bigfoot. When writing on the Bigfoot drive,
I almost certainly get skips when playing mp3 music. Writing
and playing works fine on the other drives, so it can't be that
the CPU is not powerful enough (AMDK6-2@333).
It seems like the cpu never gets a chance to handle interrupts
when using the Quantum drive.
'hdparm -u 1 /dev/hdx' (interrupts enabled) doesn't help either.
hdparm doesn't allow the '-d 1' (dma on) switch.

Now, it looks like UDMA is not really supported by the 2.0.x kernel,
so I tried the 2.1.131 kernel to see if possibly faster transfer
rate using UDMA would avoid the problem by transferring the data before
an interrupt occured (assuming this is the problem). It actually
seemed to fix the problem, but the kernel hangs miserabely if issuing
the following for a simple benchmark for writing a 100Mb file:
'time dd if=/dev/zero of=t.t bs=1k count=100000'
This works fine in 2.0.36 at least, although I get the skips in music.
I'm using Alsa 0.2.0 as it seems to skip less than the ordinary sound
driver (also less than the commercial OSS driver).
The 2.1.131 kernel breaks a lot of other things like networking
(route add doesn't work for instance), as well as masquerading
(other configuration tools), so I'm not that eager to try an
experimental kernel again unless it works of course! ;)

The Ultra-DMA mini howto (v2.0.7, August 1998) talks about applying
a patch to the 2.0.35 kernel in order to apply ultra DMA,
but 'patch' fails with all the patches provided.
Is there an updated version somwhere that uses 2.0.36 ?

Please help!
Thanks!
/ Heikki

------------------------------

From: Barron Koralesky <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Turtle Beach Montego sound card
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 1998 16:34:23 -0600

This soundcard has an Aureal Vortex chip.  OSS is working on supporting
this chip but, as of yet, has not.  Thus you will not be able to get
sound under linux.

------------------------------

From: d s f o x @ c o g s c i . u c s d . e d u (David Fox)
Subject: Re: AMD k6-2 in a server.
Date: 21 Dec 1998 22:19:42 -0800

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter Daniel ECKERSLEY) writes:

> nearly twice >> > as fast as my K6-2/333 when doing mpeg layer 3
> encoding.  I don't >> > know why.
>
> That sounds suspiciously like an optimisation problem, not a
> capability problem.

It is, but unfortunately the software is closed source and patented.
--
David Fox           http://hci.ucsd.edu/dsf             xoF divaD
UCSD HCI Lab                                         baL ICH DSCU

------------------------------

From: spmccann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.advocacy,linux.redhat.install
Subject: Re: Dell loves Linux!
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 06:33:42 +0000

Scott Palmer wrote:

> What opportunity is Dell "missing out" on?

I believe it was Micheal Dell who said that "Windows is an operating
system not a religion"
My piont being like any other OEM Microsoft has you by the short and
curleys,
this is not a good position to be in.

on the other pionts,

Yes I would be willing to pay for Linux support.

I have a dell optiplex rinning Suse 5.2 and win95(games) and its a
dream.
Dell have a reputation for building solid well priced machines, hence I
bought one.

Dell tech support are competant, friendly and knowledgable.

I would like to be able to buy a machine with just linux on it,
 prefrabley from Dell based on past experience.

In Europe use Suse it has  a more European bias probably because its
German.

the main problem dell is going to run into id driver suport for Linux.
But Dell
is a big company with plenty of bargaining power to deal with h/w
manufacturers.

Sean.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter Daniel ECKERSLEY)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Linux SMP revisited
Date: 22 Dec 1998 04:26:10 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Brian Hurt) writes:

>Jason Baeder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>>But what I don't know is to what extent under daily use Linux will take
>>advantage of two cpu's, especially under multitasking conditions (rather
>>than twiddle my thumbs while waiting for a web page to download, I'd
>>rather use the time to do something else constructive).  Right now I'm
>>leaning towards putting the money I would otherwise spend on a dual-cpu
>>m'b and an extra cpu towards additional drive space.  But I'm also
>>wondering about the imminent release of the 2.2 kernel and if its
>>reported stable SMP processing will bring even more advantages to
>>running dual cpu's under LInux.

>The second CPU would help in high-load situations.  However, most
>processes spend most of their time blocked- your web browser, for
>instance, is spending most of it's time waiting for the images to
>download.  I'd be more inclined to spend the money on:

You can generally get a good idea of whether you would benefit from an SMP
machine by running xload; being over 1 indicates some benefit from 2 cpus, being
over 2 would indicate that two cpus would have lots to do.

Peter

------------------------------

From: David M <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: HELP - Linux on Compaq Prosignia
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 01:43:32 -0600

Alberto Lago da Silva wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We are trying to setup Linux Slackware 3.5 (linux 2.0.34) on a Compaq
> Prosignia 200 with a SCSI drive. Aparently it has a ncr53c406a controller or
> a wd7000 (at boot time both are mentioned). We are booting from CD-ROM.
>
> Acording to Compaqs SmartStart utility the config of the SCSI card is:
> iobase addr=0x6000, irq=5 and dma addr=0x40001000 or 0x40002000.
>
> However during boot the following error is printed on screen:
>     ncr53c406a: No available ports found
>     Failed initalization of WD-7000 SCSI card !
> The system boots but the SCSI drive is not accesible.
>
> I've looked into all the docs I could get, I've tried passing parameters to
> the driver at boot time with no positive results. Could someone help ?
>
> Thanks in  advance.
>
> als

Compaq machines love to share IRQ's.  I have seen it where the SCSI and Ethernet
were sharing an IRQ and the Ethernet would not work.    I had to go into the
BIOS and assign IRQ's to each device.    I don't know if your problem is
related?

-David M

------------------------------

From: "Jörn Nettingsmeier" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Soundblaster Live! drivers for Linux
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 1998 23:55:32 +0100

Dear Simo !

Generally, I think your campaign idea might be helpful.
But I don't think we could demand that somebody do the work for us and
write a driver.
Our target shouldn't be the OSS or ALSA folks, who are doing a fine job
IMHO, but the morons at Creative (a must for lovers of WebSitesFromHell)
or Turtle Beach who just ignore Linux and withhold their product
specifications.
BTW, if you are looking for a pro-audio card, seek out zefiro.com.

Happy New Year,

Jo"rn

--
___________________
Jo"rn Nettingsmeier

------------------------------

From: "Jörn Nettingsmeier" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 1998 23:39:46 +0100

Hello, SMP gurus out there !

I have a dual p2 board with one slot yet unused.
My question is:
Do several normal, non-threaded applications benefit from SMP when
running at the same time (provided there are no I/O bottlenecks), i.e.
will POVRAY be just as fast as on a single cpu while playing Quake on
the other one? (I know it's a stupid example, but I hope you'll get the
point.)
My non-programmer's hope is that different apps will be spread evely
over the CPUs by some magic little scheduler in the kernel w/o knowing
or slowing down each other.
Is that actually possible ?

I'm planning to do some heavy Audio processing, and I hope to have some
effects computed in the background while editing on the GUI, possibly
with different programs.

Thanks, Happy New Year,

Jo"rn

--
___________________
Jo"rn Nettingsmeier

------------------------------

From: Codifex Maximus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Running Linux on AMD or Cyrix microprocessor
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 1998 17:48:08 -0600

Neoh Kee Lin wrote:

> Is any one knows any compatibility problem on the above issue, other than
> what has mentioned by
> http://www.redhat.com/support/docs/rhl/intel/rh52-hardware-intel-3.html#ss3.
> 2?
>
> --
> Neoh
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I run an AMD K6-3D 300Mhz 100Mhz PC100 bus and 64MB Ram, 14GB worth of Quantum
and Maxtor IDE drivespace. SoundBlaster AWE64. RedHat 5.1 fully updated - Linux
Kernel 2.0.36 specifically tuned to my machine's needs.  Blackdown's Java Port
1.1.7 and TYA1.2 JIT. Mesa3.0 with GLUT.  KDE fully tricked out.  All the
goodies. Netscape full accessorized, RealMedia Client for Unix, Synaesthesia,
JCthugha, Bomb, x11amp, xanim with mov and avi support. Hitchhiker, mHockey,
SimCity. Wine981211. BitchX.  More software than I can download and run.

My machine runs like a top and registers 599.50 BogoMips.  Hello.

Rock on!
--

=======================================
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Marco 'Big Brother' <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 1 Gb of ram not supported
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 00:50:39 +0100

Pieter Krul wrote:
> You really should read
>
> http://www.phys.uu.nl/~riel/mm-patch/more_than_1GB.html

This is a funny story actually.  I quote:

  The 64 MB 'gap' we leave is there to allow Linux
  a bit of space for internal administration.

I only have 64MB :)  Glad they don't use the same 'gap'!
Next year I'll get 64GB though (on my SX-5 that is :)
It's time for real 64/128 bit machines?!
--
Marco 'Big Brother'
Work: mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]       http://super.nlr.nl:8080/

------------------------------

From: Marco 'Big Brother' <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Drivers for Riva tnt?
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 00:52:00 +0100

Pete wrote:

> Are there any drivers for the riva tnt chipset? I have a Daiamond viper v550
> with 16 Mb ram and can't get it configured in linux...

XFree86 3.3.3 SVGA server.  It's only mentioned a couple of time so far :)

From: Maik Hassel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: fido.ger.linux
Subject: Grafik-Karte erkennt keinen Monitor, nur LCD
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 08:19:34 +0100

Hallo!

ich habe eine auf dem Chips+Tech. 65554-Chip basierende Grafikkarte, die
sowohl LCD als auch normale (CRT) Monitore ansteuern k=F6nnen soll!
Unter X wird jedoch kein Monitor "erkannt", weshalb nur die 640x480
m=F6glich sind (X-Server-Msg: "No Monitor probed" oder so)!

Wer kennt eine L=F6sung???

Danke und Gruss
  Maik
-- =

      GMD/SET                        German National Research Center =

    Maik Hassel                      for Information Technology
E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]                Schloss Birlinghofen
Phone:  +49 (0)2241-14-2444  (o o)   D-53754 St. Augustin/Germany
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~-ooO-(_)-Ooo-~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

------------------------------

From: Christian Huebner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 2.1.131 & PS/2
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 1998 14:41:06 -0800

Eugen Dueck wrote:

> I patched my 2.1.116 kernel up to 2.1.131 and after that my ps / 2
> (logitech oem) mouse doesn't run, neither with gpm nor under X.
>
> How can I fix this?
>
> Eugen Dueck - Munich, Germany

Hi Eugen,

It cant be a universal problem as I use a notebook with 2.1.131
and my touchpad mouse runs fine with the PS/2-driver. I dont
have a suggestion to fix it, but I wanted You to know it can
be done.

Good luck

Chris

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Markolf Gudjons)
Subject: Re: Ensoniq Driver
Date: 22 Dec 1998 08:12:45 GMT

Tim Moore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> - ES1370 is the Ensoniq card          (great)
> - ES1371 is the Creative version card (crap)
I have a Soundblaster 64 PCI, made by Creative (it says on the PC
board). However, it is definitely an ES1370. Bios reports device
1274:5000 and I've identified the chip on the board. Strange.

It works brilliantly with 2.1.131 and ES1370 support except, as noted
in the Readme, cat test.au >/dev/audio doesn't work.

- Mark