From: Blaine Lupulack <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux on Sparc
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 1998 11:50:06 -0800

==============9D52BAAA98C269F9EDE27673

"client.ne.news.psi.net" wrote:

> I am amazed at the speed and the accuracy of the answers I am getting frm
> this newsgroup.  I thank all of you.
>
> Here is my problem (and bear in mind - I am a novice with Linux):
> I have a Sparc 1+ machine that has no CD-ROM but only a tape drive.  The
> machine right now  has an old SunOS installed on it and it is on my LAN at
> home.  I am trying to get Linux on it and I am presently downloading the
> CD-ROM content from the RedHat ftp server.  I understand I can create a
> Linux boot floppy on my DOS machine and then use it for a CD-ROM
> installation.  But I don't have a CD-ROM.  I have an FTP server on my
> Windows NT machine on the same LAN and I wonder if Linux can install itself
> from the FTP.   In the instructions I see a network install procedure but I
> know I will get stuck at the NFS on another machine - I don't have it.  So,
> what are my chances?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Jordan

I believe that you can install Red Hat via FTP ( not sure ).

Try posting your question to linux.redhat.sparc, they ought to be able to help
you better than me ;>

--
Blaine Lupulack
Quesnel, BC, Canada

==============9D52BAAA98C269F9EDE27673

"client.ne.news.psi.net" wrote:
answers I am getting frm
The
on my LAN at
the
create a
server on my
itself
procedure but I
it.&nbsp; So,
I believe that you can install Red Hat via FTP ( not sure ).
to help you better than me ;>
<pre>--&nbsp;
Blaine Lupulack
Quesnel, BC, Canada
---
And remember kids, Cheese is Murder!</pre>
&nbsp;</html>

==============9D52BAAA98C269F9EDE27673==

------------------------------

From: "Andrew kunz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: how does the new XEON intel processor compare to the pII ?
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 1998 20:22:54 GMT

=======_NextPart_000_001B_01BE3276.8714A740

not true...

 the xeon's have a 46% performance increase over p-pro's and i'm not =
sure of the numbers but it can be stated as quite comfortable over the =
pentium II processors.. i at one point thought there was nothing faster =
then a pentium II @ 450 mhz..
    Blaine Lupulack wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
    David wrote:=20
        I believe the Xeon is a cartridge-like processor designed for =
servers that need=20
        multiple processors.  As far as speed goes, I think they're =
about the same, the=20
        difference is that mr. system manager doesn't have to go through =
**** when=20
        adding/changing/removing cpu's from a large server.  The ACTUAL =
name of the=20
        processor is the Pentium II Xeon, it is entirely based on PII =
architecture but=20
        with bigger caches, more features and of course, bigger prices.  =
Of course, if=20
        you've GOT to have nifty toys....=20
        Dave=20

        On Tue, 15 Dec 1998, dan wrote:=20
        >i have only seen 400Mhz XEON processors=20
        >and 450Mhz Pentium II,=20
        >which is faster ?=20
        >=20
        >thanks,=20
        >dan

    To add:=20
    The xeon has an L2 cache that runs at core speed, rather than 1/2 =
core like the PII=20
    They can also be run as Multiple processors of 4 or more. ( the PII =
restricts you to two processors )=20

    So yes,they are definitely for servers ( but I still want a quad =
Xeon-450 !!!)=20

--=20
Blaine Lupulack
Quesnel, BC, Canada
---
And remember kids, Cheese is Murder!
     =20

=======_NextPart_000_001B_01BE3276.8714A740

<HTML>
<HEAD>

http-equiv=3DContent-Type><!doctype html public "-//w3c//dtd html 4.0 =
transitional//en">
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>not true...</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>&nbsp;the xeon's have a 46% performance increase =
over p-pro's=20
and i'm not sure of the numbers but it can be stated as quite =
comfortable over=20
the pentium II processors.. i at one point thought there was nothing =
faster then=20
a pentium II @ 450 mhz..</FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
style=3D"BORDER-LEFT: #000000 solid 2px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; PADDING-LEFT: =
5px">
    <DIV>Blaine Lupulack<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message &lt;<A=20
    =
href=3D"mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]">3687DCF6.A369FE2C@uniserve=
.com</A>&gt;...</DIV>David=20
    wrote:=20
    <BLOCKQUOTE TYPE =3D CITE>I believe the Xeon is a cartridge-like =
processor=20
        designed for servers that need <BR>multiple processors.&nbsp; As =
far as=20
        speed goes, I think they're about the same, the <BR>difference =
is that=20
        mr. system manager doesn't have to go through **** when=20
        <BR>adding/changing/removing cpu's from a large server.&nbsp; =
The ACTUAL=20
        name of the <BR>processor is the Pentium II Xeon, it is entirely =
based=20
        on PII architecture but <BR>with bigger caches, more features =
and of=20
        course, bigger prices.&nbsp; Of course, if <BR>you've GOT to =
have nifty=20
        toys....=20
        <P>Dave=20
        <P>On Tue, 15 Dec 1998, dan wrote: <BR>&gt;i have only seen =
400Mhz XEON=20
        processors <BR>&gt;and 450Mhz Pentium II, <BR>&gt;which is =
faster ?=20
        <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt;thanks, <BR>&gt;dan</P></BLOCKQUOTE>To add:=20
    <P>The xeon has an L2 cache that runs at core speed, rather than 1/2 =
core=20
    like the PII <BR>They can also be run as Multiple processors of 4 or =
more. (=20
    the PII restricts you to two processors )=20
    <P>So yes,they are definitely for servers ( but I still want a quad =
Xeon-450=20
    !!!) <PRE>--&nbsp;
Blaine Lupulack
Quesnel, BC, Canada
---
And remember kids, Cheese is Murder!</PRE>&nbsp; =
</BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?G=FCnther?= Wieser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: HP690C
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 1998 12:16:44 GMT

On my SuSE 5.3 system theres a driver called hpdj or something like
that. With this filter which supports PCL3 and the 690C can do that,
everything works fine. Even when printing colors black is really black
and not a mixture of CMK.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Hello,
>
> any idea how I can print in color? Ghostscript doesn't seem to support this
> specific printer, but using HP500, I can print b/w - however I do not find an
> appropriate printer type for color printing.

Günther Wieser
creative-it/Günther Wieser Software KEG
http://www.creative-it.com
Student of Telematik at Graz University of Technology
In A World Without Walls And Fences, Who Needs Windows And Gates?
Written on Linux 2.0.34

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Hong)
Subject: WinChip & Kernel
Date: 28 Dec 1998 19:35:36 GMT

        Anyone been able to recompile a kernel under a WinChip yet?
Everytime I have tried it has given a "make: *** [vmlinux] Error 1" right
at the end.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 28 Dec 1998 11:44:50 -0800
From: Eric Haya <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Pioneer DRM-5004X CD-Jukeboxes for only US$11K!!!

Hello,

I've recently come across 30 Pioneer DRM-5004X (500 slot) CD-Jukeboxes.
15 are configured with 4 readers, and 15 with 2 readers and 2 writers.
These retail for around US$17,000.  I can let them go for US$11,000
each.  If you're interested, please email or call me at the following
contacts.

Happy Holidays,

Jason Tyler
--
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Infinity Technologies, Inc.
1021 Los Trancos Road, Portola Valley, CA  94028
650/851-7104 Phone,  650/851-7279 fax
http://www.infinitytec.com
Email:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Specializing in CD-Recorders, CD Premastering Software, CD-R Media,
CD-Duplication

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Hardware requirements
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 1998 20:34:54 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Ok, I have gotten some outstanding info from you guy on the subject
> already but would like to revisit it for a reason or two... I am looking
>
> ot get a CHEAP linux box (W/o) monitor to use as a file server, database
>
> (small or no instance of Minisql or something), HTTPD, FTP, email etc...
>
> i also want to use it as a router (Ip masuareding)  1-4 clients, and a
> friend of mine and I are working on deveolping a web interface for a
> command line driven MP# player. I would like to use this boxes power to
> play the mp3 over a sound card and wire the linux box into my altec
> lansig speaker set on my NT box...  Samba will be running if possible,
> and I would like to possible run X and use a X client on my NT box to
> run X windows if pssible.. OS will be RH5.2.  I was thinking under $400
> so maybe a p133 with 32 or 64 megs?   I found a P200 32megs for $450 but
>
> am a college student so I am thinking more like $200... Any ideas or
> minimum requirement, places of purchase to check? etc... Let me know!
> Thanks!!!

You could probaby do most of the above on a low end pentium. However if
plan on continually playing mp3s, you could run into a problem on a low
end, and might want to go for a 200mhz. IP Masq isn't really CPU intensive
so that isn't a problem. However if you plan to push your web and sql
server to the limit, while playing mp3s, you'll need to go for a high end
pentium (200mhz or greater). Of course, if these servers are only going to
be used occasionally, then a 133mhz is fine. Check onsale.

-- Nadeem

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Harry McGregor)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: When will kernel 2.2 be released?
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 1998 16:54:41 GMT

Ok, so I overestimated M$ quality a bit too much.  I prefered to
underestimate the quality of the development code (I also forgot when
the code freze went into place).  It still means the same thing:

Yor own workstation/test system run 2.1.xx if you don't mind that much
If you need some part of 2.1.xx, by all means run it
If you are running a server, don't use 2.1.xx unless you *NEED* to.

        Harry

------------------------------

From: Geoff Shukin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Redhat 5.2 with Asus P5A and OnBoard Sound
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 1998 21:37:45 GMT

hammy wrote:

> Have you tried using the ESS 18xx driver ???

I did with no sucess.   It gives a module error.

Geoff

------------------------------

From: "B. Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: HP LaserJet 1100es printer
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 1998 15:55:11 -0600

Is there a Linux printer driver for the new HP LaserJet 1100es printers.
I believe this new series replaces the HP LaserJet 6 line.  Anyone know if
the two are compatible, so that the current HP LaserJet 4/5/6 drives can
be used with the 1100es?

Just thought I ought to find this out before shelling out the $$ for a new
printer.

Brian J. Smith
Division of Biostatistics
The University of Iowa College of Medicine
email:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
office: (319) 335-4748

From: "J. Reeves Hall" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linux booting problems with Triton chipset
Date: 28 Dec 1998 22:48:11 GMT

For some reason Linux will not boot on my new motherboard. It's a
P166MMX with an Intel Triton-TX (430TX) chipset. There's one non-UDMA
(PIO mode 4) hard drive attached. There are no peripherals attached
(except a well-supported S3 Trio64V+). The bootup freezes right after
the hard drive initialization but before the filesystem detection. It
recognizes the chipset and the attached drive. The hard drive is
detected at BM-DMA (busmastering I guess?). It's not timing out; I left
it sitting overnight. This is when I boot from the Red Hat installation
disk. When I try to boot an older custom kernel, the machine reboots
almost immediately (right after the BogoMIPS calibration).
I've seen Triton chipsets work with Linux before, and I haven't seen
anything about this chipset on hardware incompatibility lists.
Has anyone had this problem before? Any suggestions?

Please cc the response to my address ([EMAIL PROTECTED]).

Thanks!
-Reeves Hall

------------------------------

From: John Myers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: RedHat 5.2 Compatible  56K Voice/Data/Fax Modem
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 1998 17:27:33 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I am only beginning my Linux adventure, and need to replace my existing
> winmodem with one that is compatible with both Linux and Win95/98.  I use my
> computer (under Win98) as my telephone and fax answering machine, so would
> like to find a modem with voice capabilities, whether or not those
> capabilities are supported under Linux.  I would appreciate any guidance as
> to which 56K modems from any manufacturer will work.  Thanks in advance for
> any help!

My USR (now 3com) Sportster 56k external data/fax works fine under RH 5.2. I am
also using KDE as my window manager and found the app kppp easy to configure
for internet access.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Thomas Sicheritz)
Subject: Help with ACEEX PCI modem
Date: 28 Dec 1998 17:19:12 +0100

Hej

Does anybody know how to get a internal
ACEEX HCF 56k Speakerphone PCI Modem
to work in Linux ?

Win98 recognizes it on COM3 with irq 10 and io 03e8
UART: NS 16550AN, 155kbaud
Identifier: PCI\RSS8004

I tried to get the com port with setserial - but I still
can't contact the modem.
Minicom tries to dial but never reaches the modem.

I am sure that the modem is no winmodem (because of the Rockw. chip)

Does anybody have a description of the jumper settings ?
There are jumpers J1-J7 and the layout on ACEEX's webpage does not
agree with the actual layout on my card ...

* * *

* * *
7 6 5
        *
        *
        4

    * *3
    *-*2
    *-*1

Any ideas ?

thx
 -thomas - again mailing from windows :-(

--
Sicheritz Ponten Thomas E.  Department of Molecular Biology
[EMAIL PROTECTED]         BMC, Uppsala University

        De Chelonian Mobile ... The Turtle Moves ...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stuart R. Fuller)
Subject: Re: Uncorrectable Error on HD - Help!
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 1998 22:58:27 GMT

Hugh caley ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: Every time my NEC laptop does an fsck I get a bunch of "uncorrectable"
: errors, and I have to skip the errors to proceed.  It also informs me of
: something like "short read in inode scan".
:
: I'm running kernel 2.1.132, but I get the same thing with 2.0.33.  Anyone
: know what this is?

Your harddisk is dying.

: I'd appreciate a reply to my email address [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I'd apprecate a consulting fee, too.

        Stu

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Alex Yung)
Subject: Re: Debian Install: Where did my support aha152x scsi driver go ?
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 1998 18:06:50 GMT

Nick Dreyer ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: This morning I had to rebuild everything from installation files, and no scsi
: drive is now being found.

Perhaps, you can educate us the meaning of "rebuild everything ...".  Did you
reinstall by reformating your hard drive or built a custom kernel for your
specific hardware or something else?

: Should there be a file aha152x.o under /lib/modules for the kernel "appendage"
: to work, or does some other configuration file need tweaking?

: If I need a aha152x.o module file, what would be the easiest way of getting it
: (without recompiling from kernel source package, please !!!)

As far as I know, you will not find the file "aha152x.o" from the Debian
distribution.  It is always compiled into part of the kernel.

You might have SCSI termination problem on your chain.  You may want to
verify whether your SCSI hardware is working under other OSes i.e. DOS

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Harry McGregor)
Subject: Re: Genius GF100TXR (Realtek RTL8139 Based)
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 1998 22:07:24 GMT

On Mon, 28 Dec 1998 14:34:15 -0500, "Harry C. Warren"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Try:
>http://www/realtek.com.tw/cn/driver/8139-driver.htm
>or
>http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/rtl8139.html
>I could not get ne2000 to recognize mine, and mound up
>using one of the above (the nasa one I believe).
>Good luck.
>Harry

I have not yet worked with this card, but I know it is NOT an NE2000
compatible card (the 8029 and the 8019 based cards are).  I seem to
remember a driver for this card being in at least the 2.1.xx kernels,
if not the 2.0.36 kernel.

                Harry

------------------------------

From: "Jim Orfanakos" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: RivaTNT X-Server
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 1998 17:59:23 -0500

Try going to http://www.d128.com for the latest drivers.  I was directed
there when I was having problems with my STB Velocity 128 on my DELL XPS
400.  Try the NVIDIA qlibc Riva X-Server.

    David Pinaula wrote:
        Fire Tiger wrote:

        > In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> "B. Joshua Rosen"
        > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
        > >I'm using the Riva TNT X server on a Dell Dimension XPS 450 with
an STB
        > >Riva TNT graphics card.
        >
        > I'm trying to get X-Windows (XFree86) on RedHat linux 5.1 to work
with
        > my ASUS RivaTNT AGP card, but I don't have a server to do that (I
tried
        > choosing Riva128, but it doesn't work) where can I get an X-Server
for
        > the RivaTNT ?
        XFree86 3.3.3 includes an SVGA server that supports the TNT chip.
        Upgrade your XFree86 to the latest version.

    Shouldn't have to upgrade the whole thing...
    get the latest XF86_SVGA server from ftp.xfree86.org or a mirror, then
untar it to the proper place ( tar -C /bin/X11R6 -zxf XF86.tgz ).
    Then when you run XF86Setup or xf86config, just select the XF86_SVGA
server.
    Should work ( and beats dl'ing 60+ megs )

--
Blaine Lupulack
Quesnel, BC, Canada

From: Tonny Sejr Kromann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.comp.linux.isp,comp.multimedia,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Sound card trouble..
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 1998 23:49:15 +0000

> Card config:
> (MAD16/Mozart (MSS) at 0x530 irq 11 drq 3,0)
> (MAD16/Mozart (MPU) at 0x330 irq 9 drq 0)
> (Sound Blaster at 0x220 irq 7 drq 1,5)
> (Roland MPU-401 at 0x330 irq 9 drq 0)
> (SB MPU-401 irq 1 drq 0)

This tells you that there is kernel-support for the devices. But none
detected.

> Audio devices:
>
> Synth devices:
>
> Midi devices:

Therefore no audio-devices and so on.
Have you taken a look at the plug'n'play problem? Linux doesn't support
plug'n'play devices. It is possible to configure them with "isapnp" tools.
Search for them. You might allready have them installed, though.

I had a similar problem. My card worked with kernel 2.0.34, but I needed
2.0.36 for my SCSI. With this I couldn't get my soundcard detected. Tried
and tried for weeks (months?). At last i tried the commercial OSS-demo from
http://www.opensound.com. It solved my problem in 10 minutes. Ten more
minutes and I had also paid for it. ($30)

--
Good luck
Tonny

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stuart R. Fuller)
Subject: Re: What is the very best motherboard
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 1998 22:58:27 GMT

Command ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: Can any one give me opinions on the "Very Best Motherboard/CPU" on the
: market?
: I m looking to build my linux box very slow, but with the best hardware.
: It is going to be a work in progress from a PC the best Linux server I can
: afford.

First, you need to define the term "best".  The phrase "I can afford" suggests
that the best might be the cheapest.  In that case, one of them VXPro-II
motherboards for $40 or so is the best.

        Stu