Gaston")

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Darren Greer)
Crossposted-To:
linux.redhat.install,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: PLEASE HELP !!! PLEASE HELP !!!
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 1998 01:06:02 GMT

Post all you want....but please....not so many caps...its quite
annoying, and will probably prevent many to even consider responding.

DrGreer

On Thu, 31 Dec 1998 00:37:41 GMT, Drg ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

-->SORRY, DOUGY BOY BUT I AIN'T GONNA PAY. Besides, I still have to make
-->sure my ethernet card works. As for posting, I CAN POST ALL I WANT
-->UNTIL I FIND A DECENT SOLUTION !!!
-->
-->On Wed, 30 Dec 1998 18:05:51 -0500, Doug Bryant
--><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
-->
-->>>>install via ftp with cox@home and if so, how and what configurations
-->>>>are to be made during installation?
-->>Yes but do not know how.
-->>
-->>
-->>http://www.cheapbytes.com      <<   $1.99 Redhat 5.2 as well as many other Linux
-->>and Frebsd partitions
-->>Don't Post to so many newsgroups again
-->>
-->>"[EMAIL PROTECTED]" wrote:
-->>
-->>> Hi. i do apologize if my message sounds a bit too long but at least
-->>> you all will be able to figure out the sticky problem I'm stuck with
-->>> and may even know how to help me out of it. I currently am running
-->>> Windows 98 on one hard disk. However, since it is 7.5 GB and it's
-->>> 32-bit, Linux  won't recognize it when I first install Linux. At least
-->>> that's what I have been told and eventually found out. Besides, sure I
-->>> can download 500 MB in 2 hrs without any trouble via my cable modem,
-->>> but I would still need to copy it to a CD-R or CD-RW disc or something
-->>> and I'm not gonna pay $200 - $400 for CD-R/RW (in case you all wanted
-->>> to know why I would not prefer to copy to a storage device and then
-->>> install). I'm not sure if Linux will do it off my zip disks if I copy
-->>> linux to 6 zip discs. In any case, these wonderful people keep on
-->>> changing the versions of RH Linux. Therefore having got fed up with
-->>> it, I looked in the book which talked about RH Linux and how to
-->>> install. Well, I had versions 3 and 4 of RH but since some of my
-->>> crucial hardware at that time could not be recognized I abandoned RH
-->>> until I finally found out that if I had a direct connection with
-->>> Cox@home just like corporations and universities that have a direct
-->>> connection with their T1, T3, OC-3, etc... server, then you don't even
-->>> have to download RH linux. All you really have to download are the
-->>> boot.img and supp.img files and transfer them to two blank but
-->>> formatted 3.5" high density disks. So I did just that and booted up my
-->>> machine and when I got to the installation method option, I chose ftp
-->>> method. When I got to the ethernet card question, I 3c509 driver. By
-->>> the way, I still have the 3c509b PnP 16-bit Ethernet adaptor which I
-->>> obtained when I used to attend another university. Rather than sell
-->>> it, I kept it for something like a cable modem. In fact that same
-->>> ethernet card I had was part of the requirements for my cable modem
-->>> installation. Anyway, RH Linux never in the past had any trouble
-->>> recognizing my ethernet card. The only trouble was recognizing my
-->>> video cards,my parallel port zip drive, and my higher capacity hard
-->>> drive. here, in 5.2 that was not the problem. however, when I got to
-->>> the options of DHCP, BOOTP, and Static Address, I chose the Static
-->>> option and filled in my fields correctly. However, I got an error
-->>> message saying unable to connect to host. I fully verified the ftp
-->>> site address and typed it correctly. So I then went back and tried the
-->>> other two options only to get the "no response" error message from
-->>> bootp and dhcp. So the question still remains, isn't it possible to
-->>> install via ftp with cox@home and if so, how and what configurations
-->>> are to be made during installation?
-->>>
-->>> P.S:
-->>> PLEASE DO NO TELL ME TO USE ANOTHER VERSION OF UNIX SINCE I KINDA AM
-->>> USED TO RH LINUX. ALSO, PLEASE DO NOT TELL ME HOW TO PARTITION MY HARD
-->>> DRIVE SINCE MY 75. GB HARD DRIVE IS NEARLY FILLED UP. I PLAN TO
-->>> INSTALL REDHAT LINUX 5.2 TO MY OLDER 730 MB HARD DRIVE SO PLEASE DO
-->>> NOT BRING IN 7.5 GB INTO THE PICTURE UNLESS YOU ARE GONNA GIVE ME A
-->>> FREE CD-RW DRIVE FIRST !!! ALL I AM ASKING IS THAT YOU GIVE ME A
-->>> SOLUTION FOR THE PROBLEM I GOT. DO NOT GIVE ME IRRELEVANT BULLSH**
-->>> SUCH AS TELLING ME TO PARTITION MY OTHER HARD DRIVE. I WILL CONTINUE
-->>> TO POST THIS MESSAGE UNTIL SOMEONE HELPS ME FIX THIS PROBLEM !!!
-->>>
-->>> Please post a reply to this message. I've had to switch ISPs in the
-->>> past due to people spamming and framing my acount(s).
-->>>
-->>> --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-->>
-->

------------------------------

From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?G=FCnther?= Wieser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Need for WinModem research? (was: Re: need to take action...)
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 21:30:23 GMT

Thats what I want to hear in this NG: Something real usefull.
If anyone can tell me, how I can listen to my PCI bus under WinXX, I
would appreciate that.
As I´m using a laptop I´m not willing to cahnge my modem, which is built
in, and I can not believe that theres something that WinXX can do but
not Linux! Can that be real?
And, as you wrote, I don´t believe that this piece of software will be
too hard to write.

--
Günther Wieser
creative-it/Günther Wieser Software KEG

------------------------------

From: Rick Moen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: IRQ problem with RedHat 5.2
Date: 30 Dec 1998 21:02:08 GMT

[Followups snipped.]
In comp.os.linux.setup Christinger Tomer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

: (1) If I comment out the appropriate lines in conf.modules concerning
: the sound chip and the second NIC, will the OS find the network adapter
: at IRQ 5, etc.?

I don't think so.  These are basically hardware-level problems having
to do with hardware-resource assignments.

: (2) If I enable PnP on the card, will RedHat find the NIC at IRQ 11?

I'd bet not.  ISA PnP is a disaster.  See:  isapnptools package for Linux.

: (3) Would all of this be solved by using a PCI adapter?

Hell, yes.

--
Cheers,                   The cynics among us might say:   "We laugh,
Rick Moen                 monkeyboys -- Linux IS the mainstream UNIX now!

------------------------------

From: Jason Dixon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.dial-up,comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Viking External Modem Works!
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 20:22:47 -0500

Before I say what I did, keep in mind that these changes in my setserial
file were made PRIOR to my acquistion of the Viking.  So other than the
fact that I know that buying the new modem is the primary reason I can
dial out, I don't know for sure that these manual configuration changes
would have made any difference over the autoconfig that is done during
bootup/install.  Now that we've got that out of the way...

I edited the scripts in setserial as such:
1) Commented lines 36,45-48,52-55,64-67, and 115-130.
2) Uncommented lines 152,153,154 and changed the UART setting from
16450   to 16550 to reflect the newer modem types, and
3) confirmed the irq settings in lines 152-154.

If you emac the setserial file, you will see that most of it is
commented well enough that you shouldn't have any problems changing this
from an auto config to a manual one.  Keep in mind, though, that all of
the details above are based on my files in RedHat 5.2.

P.S.  Even though I've got my modem working, I still haven't been able
to configure the proper dial-up into my ISP.  If you get lucky, let me
know.  Good Luck!

------------------------------

From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?G=FCnther?= Wieser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: need to take action on the Winmodem problem
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 21:36:07 GMT

I fully agrre with this. I do not know anyone who´s got his linux box
working without connecting to the Internet. And to boot Win every time
he/she needs his/her modem is not a good start for a new linux user.

From: Marc van Duijnhoven <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Good supported PCMCIA ISDN card ?
Date: 30 Dec 1998 22:53:35 +0100

Hello,
What are good PCMCIA ISDN cards for linux ??
Currently I switched from w98 to linux. However my Eicon diva pro
is not supported.

Is it also possible as under windows to see the numbers of
people who called ?
Please any reactions and advices on this subject are welcome.

Thanks in advance,

Please mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Michael Panchula <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.periphs.scsi
Subject: Problems with Seagate 43400N and Linux 2.0.34
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 19:04:22 -0500

The scenario:
I found good deals on SCSI drives over the past few months.  Bought an
adapter. Put it all together.  Under any of the other OS's I have
installed, both SCSI drives run fine.  Everyone plays together *except*
Linux.

The cast:
Abit IT5H motherboard with K-6 233, 64mb ram.
LS-120 IDE floppy
Creative Labs 32mx CDROM
Western Digital 2700  IDE
Western Digital 31200 IDE
Fujitsu M2952ESP Ultra Wide Drive
Seagate 43400N Fast drive
Adaptec 2940U/UW SCSI controller
OS's -- Win98, WinNT (SP4), Solaris 2.6, Linux Redhat 5.1 (2.0.34)

The problem:
Linux is happy with the Fujitsu.  Whenever the Seagate drive is
connected Linux refuses to boot. With or without the Fujitsu. I just get
screens full of this message:

(SCSI0:-1:-1:-1:) Bad scbptr 16 during SELTO.  Referenced SCB 255 not
valid during SELTO.  SCSSISEQ=0x5A SEQADDR=0x8 SSTAT0=0x10 SSTA1=0x8a

Occasionally interspersed with:
SCSI aborting command due to timeout: pid=4,SCSI0, channel 0, id2, lun0
0x00 00 00 00 00

The question:
Can anyone help?  I'd really like to attain peaceful co-existance.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

-Mike

From: "Tim Gajewski, KU4IY" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.linux.setup,de.comp.os.linux.
Subject: Re: How to set Riva TNT card in Xf86 in Red Hat 5.1 system
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 17:07:22 -0500

==============0B07848DAF16DAA6919DD3FD

==============0B07848DAF16DAA6919DD3FD

<HTML>
<BODY BGCOLOR="#FFFFFF">
Jim Orfanakos wrote:
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>&nbsp;<FONT COLOR="#000000"><FONT SIZE=-1>try <A
HREF="http://www.d128.com">www.d128.com</A></FONT></FONT>
<BLOCKQUOTE
style="BORDER-LEFT: #000000 solid 2px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; PADDING-LEFT:
5px">kramesh<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote in message &lt;<A
HREF="mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]">[EMAIL PROTECTED]</A>>...<FONT
 SIZE=-1>Please
tell me where to download the updates and how to install.</FONT></BLOCKQUOTE>
</BLOCKQUOTE>
&nbsp; You will have to down load XFree86 3.3.3 and install according to
the instructions (really easy).&nbsp; I have a Creative Labs Riva TNT PCI,
it works wonderful in 800X600 32bpp.

<P>Tim
</BODY>
</HTML>

From: garv <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: LS 120 and Red Hat 5.2
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 22:02:36 GMT

Yo wrote:

> I am building a system that I would like to run Red Hat 5.2 on as well
> as Winblows.  Is there support for the LS 120 Superdrive in 5.2?

Yes. Works fine with no compile.  (I might add that my first ls-120
died.)

------------------------------

From: Joe Pfeiffer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: 30 Dec 1998 18:10:25 -0700

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chris Lee) writes:

> Winmodems are an issue for people who want an internal modem for whatever
> strange reason. I've never owned, and never had any desire to own an
> internal modem.

I don't fully understand your dislike for internal modems -- they cost
less than external modems, and if all your serial ports are in use,
they certainly cost les than adding a serial port and buying an
external modem.  I've been using internal modems for quite a while
now; I just wish I could get a light panel for one!

> You're not going to see support for Winmodems because most Linux
> programers already own an external modems, and I don't think they are about
> to run out and buy a worthless winmodem.

I would be surprised if a dominant majority of Linux programmers have
external modems; I'd be more surprised if they particularly *cared*
whether their modems were internal or external.

As for WinModems, well, if the manfacturers won't release specs....
--
Joseph J. Pfeiffer, Jr., Ph.D.       Phone -- (505) 646-1605
Department of Computer Science       FAX   -- (505) 646-1002

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Gerald B. Rosenberg)
Subject: Re: NETGEAR FA310TX on RH 5.2
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 17:41:26 -0800

I used the tulip.c file that was provided with the FA310TX card (the
chip does not have DEC markings) and compiled/installed the tulip.o per
the instructions provided with the card.  Although I got no error
messages, I cannot independently verify that the new driver is being used
(at least I don't know how to; is there some way to do this?).

The card is now failing 25 to 30% of pings across my local network.
Netstat -i shows them all to be RX-ERRs.  No TX-ERRs.  I have rotated
10BT cables with two NT4.0 systems on the same net, which ping each other
without droping packets.  When they ping the linux box, they report only
that no response is received for 25 to 30% of the pings sent.

Does this indicate that I don't have the new driver installed?  Would the
stock tulip driver (that ships with RH5.2) work at all?  Any suggestions
on how to diagnose/fix this would be appreciated.

Also, is there an independent source of the required tulip.o driver and
installation instructions?

Thanks,
Gerald

In article <CWyi2.2124$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
says...

------------------------------

From: "umm" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Redhat 5.2 wont see my Intel 8/16 ethernet card
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 16:24:14 -0500

Redhat 5.2 won't see my Intel 8/16 Ethernet card

I am trying to do a FTP install
windows 95 can see the card
but RedHat can't

I tried putting in  every option
+ setting the IRQ IO manually

no luck

its a very common card
any ideas?

------------------------------

From: "sergio" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: How to install a 3dfx Banshee 16 mb in linux readhat 5.2
Date: 30 Dec 1998 20:22:11 GMT

Please help me.
I dont now how to install my 3dfx
Xwindows dont run.

------------------------------

From: G-der <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.caldera,alt.os.linux.slackware,comp.linux,comp.linux.os,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.development,comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.ne
Subject: Re: Lilo (BootLoader) Installation
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 18:50:43 -0700

It was my understanding that NT did make some changes in the MBR to point to the
loader, even if the loader itself is not in the MBR.  I could be mistaken though

Gene

------------------------------

From: Jason Dixon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Re: Newbie need help !
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 20:41:23 -0500

Hey odeda-
I can answer #1 for you, but I can't weed through the rest of that
mess.  First of all, linux doesn't recognize the cdrom drive as a
device, but as a file.  You have to mount it (as well as your floppy)
whenever you want to access it:  mount /mnt/cdrom (as long as you have
the proper symbolic link).  Just make sure that you unmount it before
you change cd's or shutdown.  On a side note, I'm as much a newbie as
the next guy, but pleeeeaase, invest in a decent linux book or delve
into some of the HOWTO's at sunsite.unc.edu.  They contain some great
information on the topics you have listed.  I actually OWNED 3 Linux
books and a UNIX shell guide before I even installed my RedHat Linux, so
you sound like you're ahead of the game.  Good Luck!

Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 17:38:14 -0500
From: "Karl W. Gaston" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
linux.redhat.install,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: Want to do direct install of Redhat 5.2 via FTP since I have Cox@home but
am stuck in the DUNGEONS OF DOOM !!! SO HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELP !!!

If you could read anything other than upper case letters, there was a solution for you
to do this for free, with your piece of sh*t hardware.  But since you probably only
read
the first two lines of my post before your attention deficit problem kicked in you
probably missed it.

>From my original post:

>Or you can DOS format a small partition on the 700M drive,
>enough to hold the Linux distribution, copy all of the distribution to it (via your
>internet connection), then use the boot disks to fdisk, format and install the
>unallocated space of the 700M drive under Linux (like using the DOS as a bootstrap,
>instead of purchasing a CD, or Jaz, or CD RW).

As I have done this before with Slackware Linux I know it works, no expensive hardware
or stuff needed.  The time that you have spent wasting while whining, you could have
figured it out by now.

Have a nice day a$$*ole