Linux-Hardware Digest #189, Volume #9            Sat, 16 Jan 99 13:13:48 EST

Contents:
  Re: Good motherboard for Linux ("Cliff")
  Working System ("George Reaves")
  Support for RS/6000 250,320,520 + C10 (Al)
  Re: Matrox Rainbow Runner support in Linux (Craig Ruff)
  Any Comments on the New 400 MHz Celerons ?? (John Auld)
  Re: Linux 5.1 display driver for SiS5598 ("Ken McCord")
  Re: Viper V550 X driver? (Herry Hamidjaja)
  3com PCMCIA card 3CCFEM656 (Matt Bettencourt)
  Is the 250MB Par. Port Zip Drive Supported? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Cannot talk to /dev/cua1, which is a modem (and NOT a winmodem). (Charles
Reindorf US/EE1 60/1/44 #44278)
  Re: X11 setup with STB Trio 64V+ and PanaSync E15 ("Wayne Huang")
  Hardware conflict : Iomega buz vs 2nd IDE port (Frederic Dambreville)
  PCMCIA network card not DHCPing (Jon Peccarelli)
  Re: Thinking about winmodems ("David Chen")
  Using SB AWE32 card with 2.2.0-pre7 (Stephen Anthony)
  Software RAID5 questions ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Linux acessible from Win 95 or NT??? (Enthalpy)
  Please help - can setup 3Com 3C905B-TX on RedHat 5.2 ("Tony K. Lawrence")
  Re: which network cards work with Linux? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  WinDriver supports Linux!! ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

From: "Cliff" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Good motherboard for Linux
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 1999 08:15:33 -0500

i just ordered an asustek p5, which has 5 pci 2 isa and 1 agp, 100mhz
fsb...you can checkit out at www.sunshinestar.com...i've been searching for
answers to the linux/motherboard question to no avail, i guess i'll find out
the hard way (i also plan to get the amdk6 2 400)...will let you know if it
works!

cliff

------------------------------

From: "George Reaves" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Working System
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 08:22:58 -0600

Just thought that I would share some experience.

I have the following system up and running:

AMD K6-2 /350 Mhz
64 MEG 100 SDRAM
GIGA  GA5SX-100 MotherBoard SiS 5591/5595 Chipset
Fujitsu 2.5 Gig IDE HD
ATAPI CDROM
Trident 9440 PCI Video ( Yes it is old but it works )
SoundBlaster/Pro (AT Bus with jumpers to set stuff  yep it is old too but it
works )
Viking 56K External Modem
Hewlet Packard 5XL Laser Printer
Redhad 5.0 with applicalble updates
XFree86-3.3.3 configured with Xconfigurator
    ( Running at 1024x768 256 color using SVGA server )
3-Button Serial Mouse

Everything is up and running fine. One thing to note is that the CPU is
extremely sensative to voltage. Originally I was using an older case and
power supply. The supply must have been weak as the voltage on the chip was
fluxuating some and when it would drop about .2 volts the system would pause
for a second until the voltage would come back up. If it dropped more than
.4 volts the whole then just gave up and quit. Originally I was using an
internal modem. The voltage would fluxuate more when the internal modem was
connected. Anyway, new power supply and a faster external modem took care of
that problem. Now the system is up and stable. For that fact when was the
last time I booted Win95 ??....Hmmm....

Thanks for the help from the list

George

From: Al <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Support for RS/6000 250,320,520 + C10
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 14:33:01 +0000

Er, sorry.

I'm knew to Linux - I know some AIX and HPUX, but as far as Linux goes
it's something new.

I have obtained some hardware from the company I work for, and I want to
ditch the AIX and have a bit more control over the software.

OK, the C10 is not a problem as it uses (I think a 68k) a RISC chip.  As
for the antiques - well - I don't know what processors they use so I was
wondering if anyone knew if any flavours of Linux will run on them.

As for configuring - support for MCA?

Any help would be appreciated.
--
Mother's got a brand new leaning post, it's made of words and pages,
It says 'God gives us our daily toast', but dad still earns the wages.

Al

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Craig Ruff)
Crossposted-To: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.matrox
Subject: Re: Matrox Rainbow Runner support in Linux
Date: 16 Jan 1999 07:35:40 -0700

In article <77p2a5$ins$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I was wondering if anyone was working on drivers for this
>piece of hardware (under Video 4 Linux).  If not, I might
>have the information necessary to start working on support.
>Email me directly.

I was told that Matrox would not give out the programming info as it is
"too complex".  The SDK that is (was?) available is just Win32 API stuff.
Have they changed their minds?
--
Craig Ruff              NCAR                    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
(303) 497-1211          P.O. Box 3000

------------------------------

From: (John Auld)
Subject: Any Comments on the New 400 MHz Celerons ??
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 1999 14:26:40 GMT

I am looking at upgrading my hardware to run RedHat Linux 5.2 and I am
interested to hear your view on the choice of current CPU's.

400 Mhz Celeron chips with a 128kb cache have come on the market at a
good price, but the older Celerons can be overclocked to 450 Mhz.
Given that the older chips are cheaper, has any one got any advice on
the best choice of chip? Is it worth overclocking for an extra 50 MHz?

Can the 400 MHz  Celeron be overclocked to higher speeds?

Can it be run in dual CPU configurations (no news about this new chip
on http://www.cpu-central.com/dualceleron/).

Thanks in advance for your help.

John Auld

------------------------------

From: "Ken McCord" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux 5.1 display driver for SiS5598
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 1999 09:27:07 -0500

Do a DejaNews search for my instructions posted in December using XFree86
3.3.2.  This chipset is also support natively in 3.3.3.

Ken McCord

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Herry Hamidjaja)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: Viper V550 X driver?
Date: 16 Jan 1999 13:35:58 GMT

Gunnlaugur Thor Briem <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>Hi folks,

>is anyone working on an X driver for Diamond's new
>Viper V550 card? Anyone know whether the V330
>driver will grok the V550 card?

No, it won't.

>Thanks,

>       - G.

You need to get the latest Xfree86 3.3.3-1 from
ftp.xfree86.org/pub/XFree86/3.3.3/binaries/Linux-ix86-glibc/Servers/XSVGA.tgz

The new Xfree 3.3.3 does work with my V550.

Hope this help.

Cheers,
Herry
--
   _/    _/  _/    _/     May the force be with you.
  _/_/_/_/  _/_/_/_/      [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Matt Bettencourt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: 3com PCMCIA card 3CCFEM656
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 08:50:15 -0600

I see that the 3CCFEM556 combo lan/modem card is supported but does
anyone out there know about the 3CCFEM656 card??  I also see that the
driver is "buggy"
From
http://hyper.stanford.edu/~dhinds/pcmcia/ftp/SUPPORTED.CARDS
[3c574_cs driver: driver is buggy]
        3Com 3CCFEM556B
What does that meen???  If anyone is using this and is happy please let
me know
Matt

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Is the 250MB Par. Port Zip Drive Supported?
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 1999 14:43:04 GMT

I just bought a 250MB zip drive, which works OK under Win95, and
barely under WinNT.

Has anyone sucessfully hooked this device  up to Linux?  If so, did
you use the
ppa or imm driver?

Thanks

Allan

------------------------------

From: Charles Reindorf US/EE1 60/1/44 #44278 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Cannot talk to /dev/cua1, which is a modem (and NOT a winmodem).
Date: 15 Jan 1999 14:18:34 +0100

Michael Powe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>     Christopher> I have <some recent SuSE distribution>, kernel
>     Christopher> 2.0.35. Using the Compaq tells me that the modem
>     Christopher> (which is internal) is on COM2, with the usual IRQ
>     Christopher> and port numbers. Running various Windows diagnostics
>     Christopher> show me AT-style commands exchanged so I have no
>     Christopher> reason to beleive that it is a Winmodem. Also, the
>     Christopher> diagnostics under Win98 tell me that I am talking to
>     Christopher> an NS 16550AN.
>
> Windows modem diags will not tell you if it's a Winmodem.  If you have
> doubts, you should try to access the modem from DOS (go to the Windows
> startup menu and choose "command prompt only").  If you can't use a
> simple DOS-based comm program to dial out, then you've got a
> Winmodem.
>
> mp

I was there. I am beginning to think the same: Perhaps Win98 is
talking to the Winmodem and then faking an 16550 and an AT command set
on top of that for the benefit of direct-hardware apps running under
it. Win98 is a bit like that.

Regards,

Charles.

------------------------------

From: "Wayne Huang" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.linux.x.video
Subject: Re: X11 setup with STB Trio 64V+ and PanaSync E15
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 09:54:07 -0500

I have E15 and S3 Virge card. I have to mannualy
create my own modeline to make it work.  E15 is
not a true multisync monitor (the mannual says multi mode),
ie. it only works in certain range of vedio timing,
not the whole range by the specification.
I will mail you the modeline parameters once I got home
this evening.

If you want to try it your self.  Read the XFree86-Video-Timings-
HOWTO article.  Try to configure the video card so it generate
1024x768 @ 75Hz.

------------------------------

From: Frederic Dambreville <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Hardware conflict : Iomega buz vs 2nd IDE port
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 14:32:32 +0100

Here is my problem (in fact, two problem):

Until today, I was pleased with my computer, who worked very well under
linux.

But today I've installed the iomega buz card (I run it with win95,
because I've got no driver to run it under Linux). And now, lilo don't
want to launch linux.

My problems are :

First : how to resolve this conflict with Buz. I noticed that Lilo stop,
just after it initialize the first ide port : /dev/hda and /dev/hdb.
When I disactivate the second ide port, using BIOS, all thing run very
well. But that's not a solution! I need to use this second port...

Two : is there some drivers and freewares to run iomega under Linux ?

thank you for your help.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jon Peccarelli)
Subject: PCMCIA network card not DHCPing
Date: 15 Jan 1999 09:16:19 -0600

When I insert or boot with my 3Com (or my old Xircom even) PCMCIA network
card into any PC card slot, it initializes the card but does not get an
address.  This worked before I upgraded to 3.0.6.  I have to manually run
/etc/rc.d/init.d/network stop and then /etc/rc.d/init.d/network start to
get an address.  What is going on?  How to I fix this?  THIS IS REALLY
ANNOYING ME!  Otherwise, it works GREAT!

Thanks,

Jon Peccarelli

From: "David Chen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Thinking about winmodems
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 1999 14:48:21 GMT

My LT Win Modem has decent performance under windoze.
Yes, it is a piece of junk under Linux. But I can get 49kbps V.90
connection under win98 and average speed to download a
large compressed files is about 5.6kb/s.

David Chen

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stephen Anthony)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Using SB AWE32 card with 2.2.0-pre7
Date: 16 Jan 1999 15:33:10 GMT

I having trouble setting getting my SB AWE32 soundcard working under 2.2.0-pre7.
When I compile and insmod the modules, there seem to be no problems.  But when I
play a sound, either from the command line or through some game, it seems like the
sounds are 'skipping' or missing certain parts.

I have correctly used isapnp, and the interrupts and DMA are set up correctly.  I
know it is not a hardware problem since I can use the ALSA drivers as well as the
demo of OSS/Linux.

The problem with ALSA is that it does not support my MIDI chip, and OSS/Linux only
works for 10 minutes!  Other than those limitations, they work fine.  Under 2.0.36,
everything worked fine with the kernal-provided OSS/Free drivers.  How can I make
them work again (with 2.2.0-pre7)?

Email me or respond in this group.

Thanks,

Steve

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Software RAID5 questions
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 1999 16:55:32 GMT

        That's correct, 2 IDE disks on the same channel cannot be
accessed simultaneously. RAID 5 on IDE will, consequently, be nowhere
near as speedy as SCSI. It still may be appropriate for your
requirements, however. HTH

                        --Eoin

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Enthalpy)
Subject: Re: Linux acessible from Win 95 or NT???
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 16:26:50 GMT

I've seen the sysadmins at my uni using linux to control the student accounts
on the win NT machines downstairs.. ie create,manage, delete users and files
and so on... dunno if it's much help but it might prick up some ears and get
them to remember the name of whatever on earth it was I saw them using...
anyways.. hope it helps...

Enthalpy

------------------------------

From: "Tony K. Lawrence" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Please help - can setup 3Com 3C905B-TX on RedHat 5.2
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 15:29:00 -0000

When installing linux said it was a Vortex 3c59x.  I could get that to work.
I then opened up the box and found out that its a 3c905b.

Is there a driver for this device?  Which one should I use.

Please help,
Thanks,

    Tony

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: which network cards work with Linux?
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 1999 11:44:50 -0500

Many thanks.  It was exactly what I was looking for.

nm

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: WinDriver supports Linux!!
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 15:32:47 GMT

KRFTech announces the Linux version of its popular WinDriver device driver
development toolkit.  The beta version is available for free download at
http://www.krftech.com/windrv

WinDriver for Linux includes a generic kernel driver which allows you to
create your driver in the user mode, making the development and debugging
process much simpler.

Using WinDriver, the same driver you write will run on Linux and on all
Windows platforms as well.

The WinDriver toolkit includes sample source code which can be used as
skeletal code for your driver.  Also included is the WinDriver Wizard which
enables you to diagnose your hardware through a graphical interface.  After
diagnosing your hardware, the Wizard will generate the driver code and
hardware access application for you.

WinDriver supports ISA, EISA, PCI, Plug-and-Play, and DMA with special
chip-set support for the PLX 9050/9060/9080, AMCC and V3 PCI bridge chip
sets: .

For a free 30 day evaluation download and for more information, please visit
our website at http://www.krftech.com.