modem software for use in warp4?)) (Jack Troughton)

From: Frank Carney <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: Success at Booting Linux from ATAPI ZIPDRIVE???
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 1999 00:21:10 -0700

In order to do this the motherboard bios must support it.  If it does
not then it will not happen.  Many MBs do support both the IDE Zip IDE
LS120.  Good Luck

--
To e-mail me please remove "NOSPAM" from the reply-to address.

------------------------------

From: James <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Eggcam support for Linux
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 1999 01:11:08 -0700

>From all the information I've seen about video for Linux, the only truely
supported
video system is from hauppauge.

------------------------------

From: James <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: HardWare Advice Much Appreciated
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 1999 01:16:29 -0700

Any SoundBlaster card (or compatible) would be my first suggestion.
I still use a Pro Audio Spectrum 16 card on me second Linux box, good sound
and never had a driver problem with it. I might suggest getting a disk larger
than
2 meg id you plan to load Linux and a few of the development apps such as
java swingset, database tools from Oracle, Informix, IBM DB2 or Sybase.
(and there are SO many more to choose from !)

------------------------------

From: Charlie Vigue <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Winmodem or no??
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 07:59:38 -0800

DaZZa wrote:

> On Thu, 28 Jan 1999, Charlie Vigue wrote:
>
> > > Not Really.......
> > > There are just too many vague generalities and too many combinations.
> > > Its more like a specification than a standard.
> >
> > Do you have any idea what ANSI stands for?
>
> American National Standards Institute.
>
> However, ANSI "standards" are more de-facto standards as opposed to
> de-jure ones like IEEE or ISO.

OK. But it is a standard, de-facto, de-jure or de anything else.

What about NSI/TIA/EIA 232-F-1997 is ambiguous?

I've never had anything that claimed to be RS232 fail to work with other
RS232 devices. I HAVE had plenty of 'serial' devices not work with RS232
devices, but that is to be expected.

EX: I can buy a serial to parallel converter, or an RS232 to RS422 converter.
One claims to meet a standard, one merely claims vague functionality. Serial
could be RS232, RS422, etc. or (most likely) could refer to compatability
with a PC serial port. RS 232 means RS 232.

> They just came into common useage because America was at the forefront of
> early computer useage, and people just continued to use them because it's
> easier than changing.

And that makes ANSI the American National Specifications Institute? What is
your point?

ANSI is a well known and accepted STANDARDS body. They produce standards.
It's what they do.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chris Lee)
Subject: Re: Cheapest Linux "Hardmodem"?  Less than $55.95?
Date: 29 Jan 1999 14:04:45 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...

>[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chris Lee) writes:
>
>> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>> says...
>> >
>> >Can anyone find a better price than $55.95 on a modem listed as
>> >working with Linux on http://www.o2.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html, or
>> >otherwise known to be compatible?  At www.buycomp.com I found the Best
>> >Data #56SF for $55.95.  Its not "V.90", is that important?  Test your
>> >surfing/shopping skills!
>>
>> Do yourself a real favor and check around your local office supply stores
>> and such before buying a modem via the WWW. You'll find out that the
prices
>> aren't all that different once you add in the WWW site's S&H fees, and
>> you'll won't run into problems with returning the modem if you buy it
local.

>What's the best price you've seen at an office supply store for
>a Linux compatible modem?

I've seen the Zoom 56k v.90/56kflex that comes with mac/pc software for
$80.00 at an local Staples office supply. They also carried 3Com modems for
around $20-$30 cheaper than many other places I've seen.

comp.os.os2.comm,comp.os.os2.misc,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.os2.setup.misc
From: "狂人" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 3COM sells crippled modems (was  3COM "support" (was: any voice
capable/fax modem software for use in warp4?))
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 1999 08:09:32 GMT

In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, on 01/30/99
   at 07:15 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ron Gibson) said:

>On Fri, 29 Jan 1999 00:35:32, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Brush) wrote:

>> I didn't think even NT could deal with a winmodem. Wow, we are in
>> trouble when one cannot even tell from the box that we are being
>> robbed. I also wasn't aware that other manufacturers are making
>> winmodems. Sad times :(

>I insist on opening the box and looking for the jumpers.

Or refund guarantee with NO RESTOCKING FEE WHATSOEVER... :)

--
===Team OS/2, Team OS/2 at Taiwan, ICE News Beta Tester. Bovine Team===
======Warped Key Crucher, And OS/2 ISP CD Project Member. TBA  #3======

     Owner of PC End User Web Site       http://www.pcenduser.com/

  光碟月刊 OS/2 技術編輯 Internet Pioneer CD-ROM Monthly, OS/2 Editor
      Java 1.1.4 - MR/2 ICE REG#:10510 - OS/2 T-Warp Connect 4.0
      ICQ# = 8943567 (Still Experimenting with ICQ for Java :) )

------------------------------

From: James <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: QuickCam VC
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 1999 01:27:33 -0700

Good LUCK!!!!

I talked to the vendor a few months ago and NO WAY would they offer an form
of support or documentation! Yeah it's cool under Win, They just don't take
Linux
seriously!, Try a Hauppaugge instead!

------------------------------

From: James <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Arrggghhh!!!
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 1999 01:23:58 -0700

If it's any help I think that your MB has a built in IDE controller (my
PcChips 598 does)
and if you are using a seperate SCSI card you may need to disable the on
motherboard
IDE controller through BIOS?

James

------------------------------

From: James <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: CD Re-Writable
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 1999 01:29:04 -0700

"allo all!

Was wondering if anyone out there went through the pain and agony of
getting a Memorex CDRW 2216 to write under Linux??????

Tia

James

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Simon H. Garlick)
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.install,comp.os.linux.help
Subject: Re: Ram Detection
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 1999 08:19:12 GMT

------------------------------

From: Gert Wollny <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux becomes slow with more memory
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 15:02:52 +0000

And I forgot to mention - top gives no usefull results!

Bye

Gert
--
Remove NOSPAM to reply or mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Max-Planck-Institute of Cognitive NeuroSience      http://www.cns.mpg.de

http://gerti.home.pages.de

------------------------------

From: "R.H." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: tape backup drive support
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 1999 01:45:45 -0800

I have a Teac Internal Backup Tape drive that I use with Win98.  It is
installed in parallel with the floppy controller cable.  Does anyone
know if it is possible to use it with Linux.  I have Caldera Linux 1.3
with a 2.0.35 kernal.

    Thanks,
            Roger

------------------------------

From: "Udfyld dette med chfn. Oprettet af root" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Printer problem :) (same ol' - same ol')
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 14:41:01 +0100

Now I've tried to find the answer for quite a while -- thought I might
just as well ask.

"Printer not working! %#^#$%$@%@#$ "

"Works with Window$ - thu"

Facts:
 printer :      HP LaserJet 5 (or 6 -- can't rem.)
 system :       RedHat 5.1  -- kernel 2.0.34
                K6 200 Mhz
                32 MB RAM
                Big screen
                Old mouse
                Dusty

I've tried to follow the Printing.HOWTO. I've included the lp-device in my
kernel, as the module stuff didn't work -- same problem. I've set
"lp=0x378,5,0x3bc,5,0x278,5" in the lilo thing (tried other settings too -
but havn't made the exhaustive search yet). Remade the /dev/lp's -
with MAKEDEV.

But still - when I write "cat stuff > /dev/lp0" it responds "bash:
/dev/lp0: device not configured". And the nice "Printer-Tool" program wont
autodetect a bit.

During bootup I get a message like: "lp:driver configured but no
interfaces found."

HELP HELP HELP
                - Jesper

ps. I might just shoot the damn thing.

------------------------------

From: Seth Mason <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.dev.kernel
Subject: qlogic2100 driver and kernel 2.2.x
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 1999 00:58:43 -0800

    I've compiled the latest patch as modules from gfs.lcse.umn.edu for
the qlogic fibre channel adapter with no problems. However, when I try
to load the module my system does a hard lock up. I don't believe that
I'm able to generate a trace of what is going on at the time of the
lockup.
    There are no other devices on the loop, the card is plugged into the
hub and the hub registers a good connection, though I'm starting to
think that the card might be downloading the firmware and locking up the
system at that time....

-Any ideas? Alternatives?
-Seth

------------------------------

From: "KiWiB0RG" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Any SB 128PCI Users?
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 1999 00:06:52 -0800

I am running Redhat 5.2 and it automatically detected my pci128 and runs
great.
you may want to consider upgrading if 5.1 won't detect it.

/KiWiB0RG

Ki-Won Lee wrote in message <78uam5$13t$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>Greetings!
>
>I just purchased the card and am trying to get it to work in my RH5.1 linux
>box.  I used sndconfig, but that only lists upto SB 64 and my card's not
listed
>at all.
>
>Can someone who's using the card tell me how they were able to configure it
>correctly and use it in linux?  Strange thing is though, it's grabbing the
>9 irq and in windows that conflicts with my vidcard, but it's performing
>just fine even when playing QuakeII.  It's just in Linux that I can't seem
>get it to work.  Thanks in advance.
>
>With Best,
>
>Steve
>
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 1999 04:28:02 -0500
From:  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Newbie Q: Linux Box as Router, Server, Gateway?

Well, with 4 and 8 port hubs going for about $10 or less
per port it would seem to be just as inexpensive to use a
hub without the extra trouble. In any case, two other sources
of information for you would be http://www.linuxrouter.org/
and http://www.freebsd.org/~picobsd/picobsd.html

Greg

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jack Troughton)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.os2.misc,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.os2.setup.misc,comp.os.os2.comm
capable/fax modem software for use in warp4?))
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 14:52:40 GMT

On Fri, 29 Jan 1999 00:25:42, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Spencer Lu)
wrote:

> On Thu, 28 Jan 1999 13:57:41, Paul Wylie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > Note:  Modems which are included with PCs are BY RULE complete pieces of
> > shit.  It doesn't matter who made them.  They're all crap.  PC
> > manufacturers throw in shitty winmodems because they're cheaper than real
> > ones and like it or not, the vast majority of the computer-buying public
> > isn't thinking about the day when they'll finally get pissed off and ditch
> > Windows only to discover that the shitty winmodem ain't supported under a
> > real OS.
>
> Well, the vast majority of the computer-buying public doesn't realize
> that there are alternative OSes.
>

> > There are plenty of options, such as buying a REAL modem, like the
> > USR/3COM Courier modem.  It's about $200-$250 almost everywhere.  That's a
> > damn sight more expensive than the $50-$60 a typical Winmodem sells for at
> > retail.  I don't buy analog modems very often any more, but when I do, I
> > buy Couriers.
>
> I bought a Courier, because I thought it'd be more reliable than a
> Sportster.  However, if someone just picks up and then hangs up a
> phone (on the same line as the Courier) while I'm online, the Courier
> ALWAYS drops the connection.  I thought it'd be able to deal with
> line noise better than that.  I probably should have just bought the
> less expensive Sportster.

Heh.  I used to get a big kick out of a housemate with something
similar to that...

I was running warp, and he was running win95.  He used to enjoy
dissing me for running warp... "join the dark side, Luke."  Anyway, I
could usually get the last laugh by picking up the phone when he was
online.  You know, I wanted to make a call, and didn't know he was on,
etc... his machine would drop the connection.  However, mine wouldn't
if he did the same thing to me.  The thing is, we even swapped modems
when we realized that my connection was way more robust than his was
to see if it was the modem, and it wasn't: it was the OS.

After doing some reading about it, it became clear that it had a lot
more to do with the tcpip implementation and how it dealt with out of
order packets etc than it had to do with the modem itself.  In other
words, the tcpip implementation under windows sucked.

I ended up razzing him back with the line that "hey, it may not have
the bells and whistles, but at least the basics work like they're
supposed to!"  That usually shut him up:)

Jack Troughton   ICQ:7494149
http://207.96.209.68:8000/
jack.troughton at videotron.ca
jaft at adan.kingston.net