From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Allen)
Subject: Re: Please explain IRQ2 and IRQ9
Date: 4 Feb 1999 01:50:23 GMT

In addition, They were short-sighted when they did it too, as that was
still around the era when they thought no one would need/use/ or be
able to afford a WHOLE meg of RAM...  it's exactly the same set of
chips the early workstations used to produce 256 interrupts, just by
grounding a different pin, and causing them to multiply, instead of
divide the output...  Oh well...  (8^8 vs 8+8-1)

Allen

(email addy; user ID portion has a numeral one in place of word
onespoiler, and of course, delete the bogus secondary domain of
nospam.)
fight spam everywhere!!!

                The irony is that Bill Gates claims to making a
                         stable operating system and
             Linus Torvalds claims to be trying to take over the
world.

                 Linux; The Official OS of the New Millennium

                          http://www.linuxlink.comOn Wed, 3 Feb 1999

------------------------------

From: Grant Leslie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: New k6-2 system advice
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 1999 01:23:03 -0400

Darren Shaw wrote:

> Sound Blaster PCI 64 sound card

Caveats here... no hardware midi synth, Win drivers use software
wavetable only, to a second sound channel built into the card...  and no
/dev/audio.., but my PCI 128 works ok, with Timidity for playing midi
files.
Given a choice, I'd go with an AWE 64 though.

"It looks so lovely, and fragile. Imagine how many millions of people
 are living on it, and don't even realize how fragile it is."
  Alan B. Shepard, 1971, said with a tear in his eye, on the
            Apollo 14 mission looking back at earth from the moon

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Allen)
Subject: Re: How to connect a PS/2 mouse to motherboard
Date: 4 Feb 1999 01:58:59 GMT

You will still need to make sure that your SCSI board is not using
that interupt, as that is the default one for a PS/2 port (12)

        It should take priority over the scsi ok on boot-up, so check
the other screens on you bios setup.  BTW, Which motherboard did you
get, and did you get the mouse connector from the same place? or at
least an authorized dealer for that same brand of motherboard?  there
are many different wiring pin out schemes for the motherboard
connections, and sometimes, even different ones with the same
manufacturer/diff. model?  (Supermicro for example has at least 3
different wirings depending on which model board you got.  AsusTek is
fairly consistent, and others are somewhere in between.

check for bios options for integrated peripherals, not PnP setup.

                          http://www.linuxlink.comOn Wed, 03 Feb 1999

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.arch,comp.arch.storage,alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: Same Disk RAID and Mirroring
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 1999 06:01:19 GMT

Andy,

Archiving and IDE disk mirroring are pretty different things.  If you're
looking for a way to eliminate the headache of having to rebuild a crashed
drive, you might want to lookin into hardware RAID.  RAID 1 requires two
drives but IDE drives are really reasonably priced these days and you can get
an Arco DupliDisk IDE RAID 1 controller for under $250.  If a drive fails, he
other takes over automatically.  Both drives are identical and bootable so
you stay up and running, don't lose any data and can continue working with
only one drive until you can find the time to install a replacement drive.

Donna Barron
http://www.arcoide.com

From: Stephen Carville <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: GTE flamed linux for BillG
Date: 4 Feb 1999 06:20:56 GMT

Bob wrote:

> It's a police-state mentality. I told one phone rep I run windows and it
> handles dynamic-addressing and nameservers. They say w95 works
> but w98 won't pull nameservers so they won't support it but they
> allow it and you type some info in static. The nasty man went off in
> my face, terminating the conversation by an endless loop on having
> windows. I have heard in newsgroups that GTE has terminated
> ADSL service when they found out somebody was running linux.

If they have, I suggest the victims write a letter to the PUC and
complain.  Griping in a newsgroup accomplishes nothing.

--
Stephen Carville
Management: The art of hiring intelligent, skilled individuals and then

------------------------------

From: Jeff Pimper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc,rec.models.railroad
Subject: Re: HELP !!!!! System commander did not work so good !!!!
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 1999 22:31:50 -0800

Boot up in DOS and look in the system commander directory (C:\SC probably).

Run the program SCIN.EXE.  It should help you repair things.

I run DOS, Windows 3.1, Windows 98, Windows NT, and Linux all via
System Commander and it  works like a champ.

Jeff Pimper

------------------------------

Subject: Matrox AGP, and general questions.
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Egg LeFume)
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 1999 06:33:40 GMT

Hi.

        I'm in the market for a new video card.  (My current card is a 1M
Cirrus Logic ISA card, which can't give me more than 256 colors in X;
blech.)  My new DFI board has an AGP slot on it, so I may as well get an
AGP card, and I've seen lots of positive comments about Matrox on Usenet,
mailing lists, etc.  My 15-inch monitor maxes out at 1024x768, so I
believe 4M or 8M of video RAM should give me 24-bit color, no?

        There's one thing I heard recently that got me wondering.
Somebody said that some card manufacturers (video, sound, whatever) make
their cards such that they use part of main memory for their own memory,
or something like that.  Do Matrox cards do this?  Or is this something I
shouldn't really worry about?  (I have 32M of RAM, and 100M of swap
space).

        Please either post or email (eggie at sunlink.net) any replies.
Thanks.

Jamie Kufrovich
--
Egg, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
FMS3amr A- C- H+ M+ P+++ R+ T Z+ Sp#

------------------------------

From: Mircea <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Celeron and Linux How about it?
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 1999 01:37:47 -0500

Well, I constantly use my overclocked Celeron300A in Linux, usually to
450 MHz, sometimes even at 504 (4.5*112), without the slightest problem,
not even for compiling the kernel :)
As opposite to this windblows, that wouldn't even boot at 504.

MST

------------------------------

From: "Smartpatrol" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Celeron and Linux How about it?
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 1999 11:39:11 -0700

I'm considering building a Celeron 400 based Linx box With a Tyan AT BX
chipset board. Will I miss the extra cache of a P-II and will it reconize
memory above 64MB!

Smartpatrol

------------------------------

From: jeff blau <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Problems with Linux on a new Dell
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 1999 19:56:37 GMT

Your NIC is supported in Redhat 5.2... I know.. .cuz I'm using the same
one.  It's codenamed 'Cyclone' by 3Com.  I have a Dell XPS H233.
Everything works fine here with my Millenium II 12mb.

jeff

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Allen)
Subject: Re: Modem Question MT5634ZPX-PCI
Date: 4 Feb 1999 03:07:00 GMT

        Just out of curiosity, how much did it cost?

And in your windows control panel, is there also an "HCFModem" entry
in your system properties/device manager screen?  IRQ 11 is real
suspicious and could be a problem, even if the modem will work w/
Linux.  You may need to pass some config info on to system at boot or
somesuch to let it know to look for ports beyond the normal 4, and If
you don't need the on-board serial ports, disable them in CMOS setup,
NOT CONTROL PANEL  (both if you have a PS/2 mouse, and whichever one
your serial mouse isn't using if you use one of them), and check which
one it shows up on then.  I think then you may be able to use
something similar to isapnp to check its parameters and tell linux.

BTW, I have no Linux experience yet, but 15 years of computer
experience, and an A+ cert, and many hours of reading the how-to's,
and FAQs, but I'm still collecting hardware for my Linux box, and have
a personal interest in whether this modem can be made to work, before
I buy one, so please post or email your results?

hope some of this has been helpful.

------------------------------

From: "Gary" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,rec.autos.simulators
Subject: Re: video card upgrade?
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 1999 21:49:15 -0500

Bill Jones wrote in message <799qe5$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>Last night on ZDTV's Screen Savers program, they talked about PC upgrades
>and said that it makes sense to upgrade older 2D video cards now to a 3D
>card.  They said even an inexpensive card like the TNT ($89??) would be a
>noticeable improvement.

Hi Bill,
For about the same price you could upgrade your CPU, and probably get as
good or better improvement overall in your system. Really, try buying a nice
boxed Celeron 300A and OC it to 450Mhz... if your system is up to the FSB
100 speed, you'll be flying much faster, video cards are nice, and they will
help, however you're CPU is now probably as much behind the pack as your
video card, and the cost to upgrade is comparable... check out some
overclocking newsgroup discussions and celeron discussions... then think
about where to put your cash.

Regards

------------------------------

From: jenn <col@Caldera_1>
Subject: xx
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 1999 01:04:12 -0600

xx

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (MCheu)
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,rec.autos.simulators
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 1999 00:31:30 GMT

On Wed, 3 Feb 1999 10:08:21 -0500, "Bill Jones" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>Last night on ZDTV's Screen Savers program, they talked about PC upgrades
>and said that it makes sense to upgrade older 2D video cards now to a 3D
>card.  They said even an inexpensive card like the TNT ($89??) would be a
>noticeable improvement.

That's sort of what happens when you get hardware shipped to you for
free.  You end up having no clue how much hardware actually costs.

>The question is, should I bother to replace my ATI with a newer card?
>Should I keep the Monster 3D, or get an all-in-one 2D/3D card?  The only
>reason I'd want to upgrade is if I'd get a noticeable frame rate increase in
>the 3D games, and keep the Linux compatibility.

I think there is a TNT driver in the latest XF86 version, so you
shouldn't have any problem in that area, but you will encounter
problems with something like a Banshee.   Not all new boards have
Linux support yet.

Considering that your system is a no AGP system, stay with what you've
got.   You might get a bit more performance out of a PCI TNT, *BUT*
you'll find that you may be disappointed later if you upgrade to an
AGP system as the PCI card might be a bottleneck.    Given that you're
relatively satisfied with your current setup, and The ATI card is an
adequate 2D performer, and the Voodoo1 is also adequate, I'd suggest
staying put for now.   Upgrade to a faster AGP card like TNT (or
something newer later) when you upgrade or replace your system.

Thanks

MCheu
[EMAIL PROTECTED] or [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Reply to either (not both please) address, but remove nespamezpas_ first.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Computer Club)
Subject: Compex RL100-TX/PCI can't work
Date: 4 Feb 1999 05:18:11 GMT

I have have Compex RL100-TX/PCI card..Linux redhat 5.2 unknow it.
Can I use it ? Help me.....

------------------------------

From: Matthew Ho <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Integrated Yamaha Wavetable Sound Card not working
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 1999 17:18:26 +1100

Hi,

I am configuring a Dell XPS-V400 run on RedHat 5.2 at the moment.
I have tried a number of times, but the Integrated Yamaha Wavetable
Sound does not seem to be working. The manufacturer said the
clip of the sound component is OPL3-SA2/3/x sound chip.

Could anybody tell me if there is is a way to fix this problem?
Thanks a lot in advance.

Matthew HO      [EMAIL PROTECTED]