Linux-Hardware Digest #372, Volume #9             Sun, 7 Feb 99 00:13:35 EST

Contents:
  Thriller 3D As 2D Card In X-Windows? ("Network")
  Re: I'm looking for 3DFX Banshee dirver. ("Electronic Rider")
  Re: 1GB Syquest SparQ drive under Linux (waco)
  Re: 3COM sells crippled modems ("狂人")
  Re: SCSI boot ? (waco)
  Re: Modem damnit. (Steve Ginter)
  HP 890C Printer Driver ("Paul Stephenson")
  Re: dmm via seriell line (Steve Ginter)
  10/100 Ethernet SWITCH (to be used for Fast Ethernet LAN, and 10-BaseT cable modem)
("Numbers")
  Re: AGP and Linux (waco)
  Re: Modem damnit. (waco)
  Re: 10/100 Ethernet SWITCH (to be used for Fast Ethernet LAN, and 10-BaseT cable
modem) ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: 10base-T recommendation? (Rod Roark)
  1600x1200@60 params? (Bjorn Lundberg)
  SBLive! Value problems... ("Robert Banks")
  Re: 10base-T recommendation? (Leonard Gray)
  ide tape and taper (John Thompson)
  Re: 10/100 Ethernet SWITCH (to be used for Fast Ethernet LAN, and 10-BaseT cable
modem) ("J. Clarke")
  Re: Problems with Linux on a new Dell ("Linnea & Scott Steinhorst")

From: "Network" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Thriller 3D As 2D Card In X-Windows?
Date: Sat, 6 Feb 1999 16:59:32 -0800

I've been using my Hercules Thriller 3D (4MB version) as a 2D card for
Windows 95, 98, and NT4 (Yes, its a 2D/3D card).  This for some time now.

Windows Drivers:
http://www.hercules.com/support/drivers/thriller/thrill3d.htm
Card Specs:
http://www.hercules.com/presale/specs/thrill3d-spec.htm

In fact, the resolution I use on my 17" monitor is 1280x1024, and it works
great.  But by standard, RedHat 5.2 Installer does not appear to support
this card in the installer.  Luckily, when I downloaded all the 5.2 update
RPMs, Thriller 3D support appeared in the installer.

However.. I just installed RedHat Linux and X-Windows.. and as I pressed
enter afte "startx".. bam, I see the drivers do not work -- well, not very
well.  The screen is completely uneven, it moves around and if you look
carefully you can barely make out menu items, its really hard to explain,
and the 1st horizontal inch on the left of the screen looks fine.. heh.  In
other words... its not usable.  By default, the installer put my resolution
at:  1024x768 and that is what it loaded at.

Anybody else get Thriller 3D working in X-Windows?  I _really_ want to get
this card working!  It works great under WindowsNT/9x!  Id like to say one
more thing. There are some internal Rendition drivers I got a hold of one
day (couple months ago), and because there hasn't been new drivers out for
this card for almost a year now, I tried them out.  The same effect happened
to Windows as what is happening in X-Windows right now.. HMMM.  Anybody know
any hacks I can use my Windows drivers in X-Windows, or something of that
nature?

Finally, how can I load X-Windows in VGA mode.. if I have to?

Thanks
-Network

------------------------------

From: "Electronic Rider" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: I'm looking for 3DFX Banshee dirver.
Date: Sat, 6 Feb 1999 17:42:40 -0200

Thanks a lot!

Tell your cousin that:
"There is an Xserver for banshee cards thats in the alpha stages.
No real acceleration support yet, but it does work fairly well.
you can find it at :
http://glide.xxedgexx.com/3DfxRPMS_vb_glibc.html "

User escreveu na mensagem <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

------------------------------

From: waco <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 1GB Syquest SparQ drive under Linux
Date: Sat, 06 Feb 1999 20:10:58 -0500

Randy Cooper wrote:

> I have had the IDE version of the Sparq drive since kernel version
> 2.0.32. It is the slave of the primary IDE controller (i.e. /dev/hdb). It
> has worked just fine. I didn't have to do anyting special to get it
> running.
>
> Does your query mean that SuQuest is back in business?
>
> Reply to: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (mail checked week nights and weekends).
>
> On Sat, 6 Feb 1999, Bill Gates wrote:
>
> > Does any of you guys out there got this drive?
> > Can you get it running under Linux?
> > I would like to make it to work under Linux, is it possible?

Yes They're back in business (bought by Iomega)

comp.os.os2.setup.misc,comp.os.os2.comm,comp.os.os2.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
From: "狂人" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 3COM sells crippled modems
Date: Sun, 07 Feb 1999 00:30:31 GMT

In <79ik3v$rr0$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, on 02/06/99
   at 11:43 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Allen) said:

>Good Idea! Just as soon as I can figure out how to get this Monster2 3D PCI
>card into that ISA slot, I'll get an external modem to replace my internal
>one?  Out of curiousity,  how many un-used ISA slots do you have?  <g>

Maybe you don't know, but there are PCI based modem that can be used under
OS/2... (Lucent chipset have driver for OS/2) And if you used all your ISA
slots, you will also prevent one of the PCI slot from being used...

I have 1 PCI and one ISA open, which will soon be filled with another PCI
FastEthernet card... At that time, my system will have

 1 GLoria Synergy AGP 8MB
 1 Voodoo2 12MB (PCI) (Generic, no point getting an identical Diamond card
that cost a whole lot more.
 2 Acer's Digital 21140 based Fast Ethernet card (PCI)
 1 Symbios SYM 22801 based Dual Channel UWSCSI (PCI)
 1 UltraSound PnP Pro 8.5MB (ISA)
 1 Roland Sound Canvas SCC-1 (ISA)

The choice is clear, eh?

--
===Team OS/2, Team OS/2 at Taiwan, ICE News Beta Tester. Bovine Team===
======Warped Key Crucher, And OS/2 ISP CD Project Member. TBA  #3======

     Owner of PC End User Web Site       http://www.pcenduser.com/

  光碟月刊 OS/2 技術編輯 Internet Pioneer CD-ROM Monthly, OS/2 Editor
      Java 1.1.4 - MR/2 ICE REG#:10510 - OS/2 T-Warp Connect 4.0
      ICQ# = 8943567 (Still Experimenting with ICQ for Java :) )

------------------------------

From: waco <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SCSI boot ?
Date: Sat, 06 Feb 1999 20:16:07 -0500

Len Cuff wrote:

> I installed Suse 5.2 on an IDE drive without any problems. I fitted a
> big SCSI drive to the PC and tried to install on that. Installation
> again went fine but when I try to boot from the SCSI using loadlin, it
> fails saying it can't find the root directory to mount !
>
> If I go back to the IDE installation, I can happily mount the SCSI
> partitions and I've even tried putting the SCSI /usr partition in the
> /etc/fstab file and it still boots fine. The adapter is an AHA152X
> compatible and Linux finds it no problem so what have I missed ? Do I
> need some sort of extra parameter when booting from the SCSI?
> I tried using LILO but that managed to blow my boot disk up !!
> After much fiddling I got it back but minus the ability to load the
> previous OS (MSDOS6.22) - it just says it can't load it and goes
> straight to Win95.
> Cheers,
>         Len

Hi Len,

Adaptec leaves out the boot roms of some of its cards.  If it is a card
that came with a scanner or cdR then it definately doen't boot.  I have a
AHA2910B and in the documentation (in small hidden print!) it says it
doesn't boot.  I believe that most MBs look for the bootable device as IRQ
15.  If you can set your SCSI card to IRQ 15 (which is the IDE HD
Controller BTW) then it probably can boot.  I have an advansys oem card in
another computer that can boot (it came with my CDR).

Hope this helps

J,

------------------------------

From: Steve Ginter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Modem damnit.
Date: Sat, 06 Feb 1999 20:12:44 -0500

Dennis Barbier wrote:

> Okay... Im not an idiot in computers but new to Linux. What the hell. I had
> a very frustrating night last night.
>

> Can someone PLEASE help????
>
> Dennis

Login as root and run the setserial command for ports 1-4, this will
show which ports have been detected by linux during the boot process

port    DOS Name        Linux Name      Address         Irq
1       COM1            ttyS0           0x3F8           4
2       COM2            ttyS1           0x2F8           3
3       COM3            ttyS3           0x3E8           4
4       COM4            ttyS4           0x2E8           3

You can share IRQ's between devices as long as you don't use both
devices at the same time.

'setserial -a /dev/ttyS[0-3]'

-steve

------------------------------

From: "Paul Stephenson" <pauls#austin.rr.com>
Subject: HP 890C Printer Driver
Date: Sat, 6 Feb 1999 19:15:32 -0600

hello all, i have just got done installing linux on my system, and i was
wondering if anyone knows the best place to find drivers for my HP 890C
printer, and for what its worth, a good place to find a compilation of linux
drivers.

Paul

------------------------------

From: Steve Ginter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: dmm via seriell line
Date: Sat, 06 Feb 1999 20:14:40 -0500

kai-martin wrote:

> I am having a hard time to persuade linux to talk my digital
> multimeter (dmm) via the seriell line.  The dmm was delivered
> with a msdos based program included which worked all right.
> So the hardware seems to be working.
> I can talk to other devices with minicom or seyon, but I
> just seem to be unable to chose the proper settings for
> the dmm. The manual tells me to use two stop-bits, seven bit
> data at 600 baud and software handshake. This seems to be
> impossible with  minicom (no two stop-bits) or seyon
> (no explicit software handshake). I tried various settings
> unsuccessfully.
> Is there any alternative terminal programm?
> Can the properties of the port be set manually from the shell?
>
> Any hints welcome,
>                    ---<(kama)>---
>
> PS: The dmm type Me 32 was delivered by Conrad, a german
> electronics discounter)

Software handshaking usually means XON/XOFF flow control

-steve

------------------------------

From: "Numbers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: 10/100 Ethernet SWITCH (to be used for Fast Ethernet LAN, and 10-BaseT cable
modem)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.networking,comp.dcom.lans.ethernet,linux.redhat.misc,linux.samba
Date: Sun, 07 Feb 1999 01:30:08 GMT

I am looking to buy one of these for my 100-BaseT home LAN (which also has
some 10-BaseT boxen too), and the net connection will be a 10-BaseT Cable
Modem interface.

I am only looking at spending < $150.  What should I buy?

p.s. - What's the overall most stable and fastest 100-BaseT ethernet
adapter for the Linux 2.2 kernel?  Also, is there such a thing as a ISA
10/100 Ethernet card?

------------------------------

From: waco <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: AGP and Linux
Date: Sat, 06 Feb 1999 20:18:25 -0500

Turbo wrote:

> I am trying to configure my ATI All in Wonder Pro, AGP card to run
> Xserver.  So far I have had no luck.  I am using Red Hat version 5.0.
> And I believe it is only checking for PCI cards and since mine is AGP I
> am unable to run Xserver.  I am new to Linux this is my first install
> ever.  This seems to be the only problem that I am having so far.  I
> have tried to find HowTo's.  Could maybe someone give me a hand?

If you can find this out I'd be interested to know this too.  I'm using an
Apollo MVP based motherboard (Super 7) in which the USB s/w must be loaded
to work.  I'm not sure if this is the case with Linux

------------------------------

From: waco <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 06 Feb 1999 20:34:39 -0500

Dennis Barbier wrote:

> Okay... Im not an idiot in computers but new to Linux. What the hell. I had
> a very frustrating night last night.
>
> I installed a USR 56k internal modem. This is NOT a winmodem.
>
> First, setup under com1, when viewing the dmesg, it picked it up saying
> something like ttyS0 (adress) (irq4) is a 16550.
>
> So Ive got it set to com1, irq4.
>
> I ln /dev/ttyS0 /dev/modem.
> I run Minicom -s for setup. I make a config file. I change the Init string
> a simple ATZ.
> Minicom freezes up.
>
> So I rm /dev/modem, and I try this
> echo "ATDT5555555/n" >/dev/ttyS0 (nothing happens)
> try the same with ttyS0 through to ttyS3, and also cua0-cua3. Nothing
> happens.
>
> I tried the modem on Com1, Com2, and Com3. nothing. I know the modem works.
>
> When viewing the dmesg thing, it says somethin glike "..is a 16550 with no
> serial options set". What does that mean? I tried running linuxconf to find
> a place to set options for serial devices??
>
> IM running 2.0.36
>
> Should I jumper the modem for Plug n play? =)
> Can someone PLEASE help????
>
> Dennis

I know how you feel pal.....

I have a SupraExpress V90 internal (also not a winmodem)

I had to jumper to remove PNP, then set another to set the com (com3) and IRQ
as 12.

For Linux I found a file called serial (i'm using SuSE 5.3) I had to edit the
file to reflect my Com3 IRQ 12 3e8 setup....

For Win 95 I had to install the modem as a com port 3 and install modem s/w to
reflect this

this took about a week to jumble around (you can't please all of the computers
all the time  :)  )

hope this helps

J,

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.networking,comp.dcom.lans.ethernet,linux.redhat.misc,linux.samba
Subject: Re: 10/100 Ethernet SWITCH (to be used for Fast Ethernet LAN, and 10-BaseT
cable modem)
Date: Sun, 07 Feb 1999 01:58:12 GMT

On Sun, 07 Feb 1999 01:30:08 GMT, "Numbers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I am looking to buy one of these for my 100-BaseT home LAN (which also has
>some 10-BaseT boxen too), and the net connection will be a 10-BaseT Cable
>Modem interface.
>
>I am only looking at spending < $150.  What should I buy?
>
>p.s. - What's the overall most stable and fastest 100-BaseT ethernet
>adapter for the Linux 2.2 kernel?  Also, is there such a thing as a ISA
>10/100 Ethernet card?

Hate to break it to you, but most 100/10 switches cost upwards of
$1000, depending on the features.

Now, a hub on the other hand, could be had for that price.

I have a D-Link 500tx nic in my machine - 100/10 autoswitch PCI - It's
based on the DEC tulip chip, so it's well supported in the kernel.  It
was detected during the RedHat 5.2 install, and worked flawlessly out
of the box.  It's a 'cost effective' (read that as CHEAP) card, too.

        As always, YMMV...

 Heath

------------------------------

From: Rod Roark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 10base-T recommendation?
Date: 7 Feb 1999 01:21:33 GMT

Keith W Sheffield <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I'm going to try to network my home machines together.  Initially, I'll
>just use a crossover cable, but I plan on getting a hub and using IP
>Masq at some point in the future.  The machines I'm using will be
>running linux.
>
>Does anyone have any recommendations on a good but inexpensive 10baseT
>PCI ethernet card and any suggested web pages/tips that I should check
>out before I begin this project?

Check the HOWTO list at
http://metalab.unc.edu/mdw/HOWTO/HOWTO-INDEX-3.html; several of them
concern networking basics.

Data Comm Warehouse (www.warehouse.com) has cheap network cards; try a
NE2000 clone.

-- Rod
Sunset Systems                           Preconfigured Linux Computers
http://www.sunsetsystems.com/                         Starting at $499

From: Bjorn Lundberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: 1600x1200@60 params?
Date: Sun, 07 Feb 1999 00:12:56 +0100

Hi,

I always manage to get my monitor to auto-switchoff when I try different
parameters for 1600x1200, 60Hz resolution (Philips 200B
monitor) in Xfree 3.3.n.
Does anyone have these parameters to share with me?

---
Bjorn Lundberg

From: "Robert Banks" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: SBLive! Value problems...
Date: Sun, 07 Feb 1999 02:13:18 GMT

Has anyone gotten the SBLive Value to work under Linux?  Having problems
with kernel 2.2.01. Thanks!

------------------------------

From: Leonard Gray <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 06 Feb 1999 21:40:01 -0500

Keith W Sheffield wrote:

> I'm going to try to network my home machines together.  Initially, I'll
> just use a crossover cable, but I plan on getting a hub and using IP
> Masq at some point in the future.  The machines I'm using will be
> running linux.
>
> Does anyone have any recommendations on a good but inexpensive 10baseT
> PCI ethernet card and any suggested web pages/tips that I should check
> out before I begin this project?

I just did the same thing here, and found the Netgear FA310tx PCI card to
be an exceptional value.  Around $27 each, this is a 10/100 PCI card using
the DEC Tulip driver.  Someone donated a cheap Sohoware hub, and things
are running great here.  I've read some rumors that newer models of the
card don't have the DEC chip, but can't confirm that.

Later!

------------------------------

From: John Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ide tape and taper
Date: Sat, 06 Feb 1999 17:38:01 -0600

After poking through dejanews I decided that I should be
able to use an HP-Colorado 5GB IDE tape drive with linux.
Other people have reported it to work, anyway.  Well, I have
it installed now, and my kernel(2.0.34)/modules compiled for
IDE tape support but it doesn't work.  The drive is detected
at boot time but I get a message that the drive is not
supported:

hda: WDC AC26400B, 6149MB w/512kB Cache, CHS=784/255/63,
UDMA
hdc: 36X CD-ROM, ATAPI CDROM drive
hdd: HP COLORADO 5GB, ATAPI TAPE driveide-tape: Sorry, DRQ
types other than Accelerated DRQ
ide-tape: are still not supported by the driver
ide-tape: the tape is not supported by this version of the
driver

OK, fine.  Maybe I can use SCSI emulation to get it to
work.  Compile up the needed stuff, it seem OK at boot:

scsi0 : SCSI host adapter emulation for IDE ATAPI devices
scsi : 1 host.
scsi : detected total.

But no joy.  If I try to use taper (my prefered software)
with switches for SCSI it dies whenever I try anything:

"Operation not supported by device while opening backup
device"

Has anybody managed to get this stuff to work?  Is there a
newer version of the IDEtape driver that supports this
device?  If so, where?
--

-John ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

------------------------------

From: "J. Clarke" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: Sat, 6 Feb 1999 23:55:51 -0500

You can get a two-port switch from Netgear or Linksys for under $100US, that
will work fine.  You'll need a 100baseTX hub on the fast side and a 10baseT
hub on the slow side, as well.

10/100 ISA cards do exist, but quite frankly unless you find them used or at
auction, it will probably be cheaper to put in a PCI motherboard.

Don't really know what's fastest and most stable for Linux--Intel works well
for Novell and NT.

--John

Reply to jclarke at eye bee em dot net

------------------------------

From: "Linnea & Scott Steinhorst" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Problems with Linux on a new Dell
Date: Sun, 7 Feb 1999 00:00:20 -0500

I just bought the same computer (XPS R400) and am installing Red Hat 5.2.
The video works great (same card - ATI XPERT 98D AGP). I bought Dell's 19"
monitor. During the Red Hat install I set: Horizontal sync range "monitor
that can do 1280x1024@76Hz"; Vertical sync range: "50-90"; Xconfigurator has
error finding video ram -> I set manually to "8meg"; clockchip: "no
clockchip setting (recommended)"; X-probeonly: clock probe failed,
configuration proceeds with default values; Video mode: "24 bit 1024x768".
Anyhow, works great. It does appear to use the XFree86 Mach64. Between the
video card and the network card maybe it's worth trying Red Hat 5.2. Wish I
could be more helpful but I'm a newbie and don't know much yet!

My problems are getting the sound card to work - Turtle Beach Montego A3D,
and printing on an HP Deskjet 870Cse. I've surfed and surfed and read and
read and can't find any references to drivers for the HPDJ 800 series
printers or the Turtle Beach Montego. Maybe I'm just uninformed and don't
need drivers and it's a matter of properly configuring the proper things. I
can believe the the Montego card is new and that's why there aren't drivers,
but the HP 800 series printers have been out a long time (I bought mine >
1.5 yrs ago).

Good luck,
Scott Steinhorst ([EMAIL PROTECTED])