From: "Derek Ruths" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Kernel 2.2 and 3Com 3c900 NICs
Date: Sat, 6 Feb 1999 21:17:28 -0600

>> when the kernel gets to connecting to the network via
>> DHCP, it can't do it -- "failed" is the response.  if I restart and boot
>> 2.0.36-7, it works fine.

I get this same problem.

>I got dhcpcd working with newer kernels by downloading the newest
>dhcpcd from sunsite.unc.edu  and the need for updated dhcpcd for
>newer kernels is well-documented.

I tried this and downloaded the latest I could find - version .7  - Is this
the version I want?  In addition, the make refuses to compile - I get tons
of compiling errors where there are duplicate variables defined between my
/usr/include files and their twins in the /usr/src/linux directory (which is
where the 2.2 kernel code resides).  Have I forgotten something?  Is there
some simple thing I'm missing (I hope).  If you have any insights, I would
*greatly* appreciate it.

    Thanks,
        Derek Ruths

------------------------------

From: grandma angst <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: 2.2.1 - apparently won't copy to boot sector
Date: Sun, 07 Feb 1999 22:46:53 -0500

after recompiling the kernel, i ran "make zlilo".

it ended saying, "can't put boot sector on logical partition 0x345".

i am using red hat 5.1 with kernel 2.0.35, and am desperate to get this
new kernel running.

------------------------------

From: "David A. Frantz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
linux.redhat.install,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.redhat,alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: Redhat 5.2 over NT
Date: Sat, 6 Feb 1999 12:55:18 -0500

eric;

At this point I would suggest that you get one of the RedHat distributions
available at your local book store.    The first time arounf Linux is
easyest to install from CD.    In any event the manual will point out a few
things such as the need for at least two partitions to dedicate to Linux.

The value of Linux is partially listed below.

1.        Open Source
2.        Very reliable kernel
3.        A huge amount of free software
4.        Great learning environement - keeps the mind sharp.
5.        Very effiecient programs
6.        Works well on Laptop computers, esp. ones with limited resources
7.        The ability to taylor the system in any way you might like.
            ex.    Recompile everything for a I686 for example.     Choose
any of several windowing programs or for that matter differrent X-Servers.

Dave

------------------------------

From: "Microsoft" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 10/100 Ethernet SWITCH (to be used for Fast Ethernet LAN, and  10-BaseT
cable modem)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.networking,comp.dcom.lans.ethernet,linux.redhat.misc,linux.samba
Date: Mon, 08 Feb 1999 04:05:58 GMT

The reason I would like to use 100-BaseT Ethernet at home is so that I can
use SMB-mounted drives as source for CD-R.  10-BaseT is too unreliable for
any serious CD-R recording, especially at 4x and 8x speeds.  100-BaseT is
the only practical solution for this, also when I am doing disk intensive
tasks directly ober the network, such as using vcdgear to convert a .dat to
a .mpg (500 MB+ file) over a network mounted drive, 10-BaseT takes upwards
of an hour to do this, which is a total waste of time.  If I has 100-BaseT,
network mounted drives would be basically about as fast as local drives.

¿Comprende?

Stephen Carville <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in article
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
> Christian Aasland wrote:
> >
> > As stated, the switches are really expensive... not really sure a full
switch
> > is better than a hub for small networks, as switches only prevent
collisions
> > on busy nets.
>
> I have found that, on small networks, a switch can dramatically improve
> throughput if the server is on a 100 Mbps port and the rest of the nodes
> are on 10 Mbps.  I've seen such a switched setup (one server and 20 WS)
> equal the performance of a shared 100 Mbps network with a similar
geometry
> and traffic.
>
> With the cost of 10/100 switches dropping it is a practical solution for
> small office.  I don't think the home user with less than four or five
> machines will get any discernible advantage unless he is running some
> bandwidth hungry client server apps.  For surfing the net it is moot.
Even