Linux-Hardware Digest #387, Volume #9             Mon, 8 Feb 99 15:13:40 EST

Contents:
  Re: Dual Processor (Michael Meissner)
  Re: linux on 386 (Geoff Short)
  creative 3D blaster banshee (Etienne Bouchard)
  Linux on Nintendo 64? (Habibie)
  Diamond FireGL 3000 problems (Rubin)
  Re: Problems with Linux on a new Dell (William Kellerman)
  Video Card not working with X Windows (Zachary Echlin)
  Re: Diamond FireGL 3000 problems (Vuthichai Ampornaramveth)
  Re: US Robotics Sportstar MessagePlus (Piniek aka Piotr Ingling)
  Re: Linux 5.2 support for Adaptec ARO-1130CA-C RAID controller? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  FIPS Problem, MAYBE? PLEASE HELP !!!!! ("Ahmed Abukmail")
  S3 Trio3D: The solution is here! (Bernhard Dobbels)
  Problem with QLogic QLA2100 fiberchannel ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: IntelliMouse problem with XFree86 (Charles H. Chapman)
  Re: DVD-RAM drives (Yasuyuki Saito)
  Re: Delaying eth0 initialization?! Why??? (M. Buchenrieder)
  Re: 10/100 Ethernet SWITCH (to be used for Fast Ethernet LAN, and 10-BaseT cable
modem) ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: UDMA problem with Aladdin and patched 2.2.1 kernel) (Joseph Lam)
  Re: BUYCOMP, Don't Believe It! ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

From: Michael Meissner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Dual Processor
Date: 08 Feb 1999 10:53:59 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Pauper9) writes:

> you need 2.2. The 2.0 kernels can't do SMP fer poop.

I wouldn't say that.  2.0 kernels can do SMP (at least 2 way), just not as fast
as the 2.2 kernels, due to the lock around the kernel implementation.  The only
2.0.x problem I recall (granted its been quite some time since I ran 2.0 SMP,
but certainly for 2.0.29 and 20.31 eras) is that CPU time accounting did not
take into account the second processor, which made benchmarks kind of dicey.

--
Michael Meissner, Cygnus Solutions (Massachusetts office)
4th floor, 955 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Geoff Short)
Subject: Re: linux on 386
Date: 8 Feb 1999 17:04:44 GMT

TJ ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: I read that Linux can run on 386 mechine. However, what is the hard disk
: capacity required to load Linux ?

Depends what you want to run on it.  People have produced working routers
etc which fit on a floppy disk.  On the other hand, I've just unpacked
the latest kernel source and it's taken up about 70 Meg...

As a guide, I've got a machine with basic utilities, network support and
compiler taking up 62 Meg.  Allow room for the source code on top of that,
and don't forget you'll need about 5-10 meg swap depending on memory.  I
installed slackware-3.6, just including the things I knew I needed, and
probably deleted about 5 meg of non-essential documentation.

Older distributions tend to be smaller, if you don't need the latest of
everything.  Slackware is reputed to take up less room than many other
distributions.

You'll need at least 4 meg of memory (again, newer dists may require 8 to
install) although 8 is comfortable.  Don't expect to run X and applications
at the same time on it, you might find X slow even if you just use it to
connect to a fast server.

        Geoff
Ever sit and watch ants? They're always busy with                Geoff Short
something, never stop for a moment.  I just          [EMAIL PROTECTED]
can't identify with that kind of work ethic. http://kipper.york.ac.uk/~geoff

------------------------------

From: Etienne Bouchard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: creative 3D blaster banshee
Date: Mon, 08 Feb 1999 12:10:43 -0500

Anyone have seen a driver for this video card?

thanks

------------------------------

From: Habibie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linux on Nintendo 64?
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 1999 11:36:48 -0500

Is there a work in progress to port Linux OS to a Nintendo 64 or am I
missing
some news about such a thing?  If there is such a port, please kindly
forward
the reference to me.  Thank you.

From: Rubin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Diamond FireGL 3000 problems
Date: Mon, 08 Feb 1999 16:18:50 +0100

Hi all,

I've got my Diamond FireGL running with the 3dLabs accell  server, but i
get a weird screen; everything seems doubled or trippled and is very
unreadable! I've tried allmost all resolutions and colordepths, but to
no avail ;-(  (one modeline though).

Does anybody have any suggestions?

Thanx,

Rubin.

------------------------------

From: William Kellerman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Problems with Linux on a new Dell
Date: Mon, 08 Feb 1999 11:04:23 -0600

Linnea & Scott Steinhorst wrote:

> I just bought the same computer (XPS R400) and am installing Red Hat 5.2.
> The video works great (same card - ATI XPERT 98D AGP). I bought Dell's 19"
> monitor. During the Red Hat install I set: Horizontal sync range "monitor
> that can do 1280x1024@76Hz"; Vertical sync range: "50-90"; Xconfigurator has
> error finding video ram -> I set manually to "8meg"; clockchip: "no
> clockchip setting (recommended)"; X-probeonly: clock probe failed,
> configuration proceeds with default values; Video mode: "24 bit 1024x768".
> Anyhow, works great. It does appear to use the XFree86 Mach64. Between the
> video card and the network card maybe it's worth trying Red Hat 5.2. Wish I
> could be more helpful but I'm a newbie and don't know much yet!
>
> My problems are getting the sound card to work - Turtle Beach Montego A3D,
> and printing on an HP Deskjet 870Cse. I've surfed and surfed and read and
> read and can't find any references to drivers for the HPDJ 800 series
> printers or the Turtle Beach Montego. Maybe I'm just uninformed and don't
> need drivers and it's a matter of properly configuring the proper things. I
> can believe the the Montego card is new and that's why there aren't drivers,
> but the HP 800 series printers have been out a long time (I bought mine >
> 1.5 yrs ago).
>
> Good luck,
> Scott Steinhorst ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

> with

I just got done playing around with my HP 895 (I think) printer and I
used
the HP 500, 600 and 700 driver that ghostscript has for the deskjet.
I made up the four printer pipes that were suggested in the Sams "Linux
in 10 Hours" book. The four printer pipes give me four ways to print
- black, color, greyscale, and best color.

I'm running the KDE desktop and using its "printtool", it was very
easy to play around with the print drivers.

The sound card drivers are not available yet. I read where they should
be
available in the spring.

Bill

*   Bill Kellerman  * Those that say money can't buy happiness         *
*   [EMAIL PROTECTED]     *    have never owned a Springer Spaniel.          *

Date: Mon, 08 Feb 1999 08:01:55 -0800
From: Zachary Echlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Video Card not working with X Windows

Hi,

I have a 4 MM Diamond Stealth II S220.  How do I setup X windows for my
video card?  What X Server do I use?  Is there another card its
compatible with?  Xconfigurator is having trouble probing my video
card.  Please help me!

Thank you for your time,
Zachary

------------------------------

From: Vuthichai Ampornaramveth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Diamond FireGL 3000 problems
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 1999 02:12:55 +0900

Get the X server from SUSE and
make sure you turn on the FireGL3K-specific option in
server setting.

SUSE server used to work very well on my old FireGL3K.

Hui :)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Piniek aka Piotr Ingling)
Subject: Re: US Robotics Sportstar MessagePlus
Date: Mon, 08 Feb 1999 18:02:39 GMT

Dnia Sat, 06 Feb 1999 15:46:31 +0100, Herbert Augustiny
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> napisał(a):

>This site does not answer!
>
>Herbert

I guess he meant http://freshmeat.net

                         Piotr Ingling

                e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Linux 5.2 support for Adaptec ARO-1130CA-C RAID controller?
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 21:57:19 GMT

John,

I'm having the exact problem.  I've checked all the web sites and haven't
found a driver for my ARO-1130CA adapter.  Let me know if you hear anything.

Cheers,
cgk

From: "Ahmed Abukmail" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: FIPS Problem, MAYBE? PLEASE HELP !!!!!
Date: 8 Feb 1999 18:15:24 GMT

Hi Guys, I used fips last night to partition my hard disk on my laptop.
I downloaded it off the internet.

1) I booted using the fips system disk that the docs asks you to make.
2) I repartitioned using fips to 4.3 (for win 98), and another disk 2.1
(later for linux)
3) It displayed at the end that the partition was complete, however a
system error about an invalid or bad device was displayed and said that the
system is halted now.
4) I rebooted CTRL-ALT-DEL into win98, I saw that there are two disks,
however
    C: is now 4.3G, but D: is an invalid disk or device.
5) I rebooted back using the fips boot disk, and resotred the original
config using restorrb.
6) I displayed c: it was still 4.3 G. Then I rebooted into win98, and
instead of what was originally 860MB full and 5.1G available, it's now
~2.9G full and rest available.
7) I rebooted back using fips disk, and ran fips again, but didn' t
continue after I saw that fips recognized all the 6.4G, or 6.1 as it
displays.
8) Rebooted in win98 and I got the original configuration, and that kind of
interrupted my heard attack and I as well as the computer went back to
normal.
9) I defragmented again. BTW, I defragmented before using fips as
recommended.
10) I shut down the computer and went to bed.

PLEASE, I need some help, I am sick and tired of running that win98 stuff,
I need a real operating system running.

Thanks

Ahmed

From: Bernhard Dobbels <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: S3 Trio3D: The solution is here!
Date: Mon, 08 Feb 1999 20:12:24 +0100

Hi folks,

I have an S3 trio3D videocard. I've had a lot of troubles with it, but i
finally decided to change to kernel 2.2.1 and use the framebuffer
drivers. And... It works.
ok, it's slow, but it's 32bit, so i can happely work woth The Gimp!
The upgrade from 2.0.36 to 2.2.1 takes about an 2-4 hour (depends on how
much you have to upgrade -> glibc, modutils ... see howtos)
The configuration of framebuffer takes just about a few minutes!!! Yes,
indeed, it is very simple.
Just go to the howto website:
http://www.tahallah.demon.co.uk/programming/prog.html
There you find the info you need.

One minor tip: I could not start up the XF86_FBDev. Therefore i changed
some kernel-sources and i had to add one line more in my XF86Config than
was explained in the howto:

Section "Screen"
        Driver          "FBDev"
        Device          "Primary Card"
        Monitor         "Primary Monitor"
        DefaultColorDepth 32                  --> This one was extra
        SubSection      "Display"
                Modes           "default"
        EndSubSection
EndSection

If this doesn't work and you get following message:
fbdevScreenInit unable to set screen params (invalid argument),
mail me , i have a changed kernel-file that gives you probably the
sollution.

Good luck,

Bernhard

--
Bernhard Dobbels        Student Elektronic Engineer
                        option Automation and Computersystems.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Problem with QLogic QLA2100 fiberchannel
Date: Mon, 08 Feb 1999 07:28:50 GMT

I'm not even sure if this is possible, but...

I've got a Qlogic 2100 FCL card I'm trying to install in my Linux system. I
really don't know much about Linux's QLogic support, this card someone gave me
with a bunch of old drives to try and hook up and see if I could get them to
work with it.

When the system comes up it sees the controller, and the controller sees the
drives, so I'm confident the hardware side is running dandy. I compiled
QLogic ISC support into the kernel, but I'm not sure if the driver supports
to QLA21XX bios. I also have an Adaptec 2940 in the system (Different
IRQ/memory range) and it finds that on boot, it just says there's only one
SCSI HA in the system.

Should this work? I'm using the 2.2.1 kernel (Of course) and the card's only
fairly new, 1997/98. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Brian

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charles H. Chapman)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: IntelliMouse problem with XFree86
Date: 8 Feb 1999 19:24:08 GMT

On Fri, 5 Feb 1999 22:39:56 -0500, Jim Ross <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Wael Sedky wrote in message ...
>>In comp.os.linux.misc jackle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>: [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>>
>>Do I understand from this that you can actually use the wheel?
>>
>>Thanks
>
>Yes.  Imwhell will do the job.
>Also QT 2.0 is also said to have support.
>Works fine.

I disagree.  It "works" but it's impractical.  It's true you can use the
wheel to scroll windows in X, but you have to do it without pressing
the wheel hard enough to click it, otherwise you'll paste whatever
is in the X clipboard into the window that has the focus.  It's nearly
impossible to spin the wheel without clicking it.  Has -anyone- found a
work around to this???

Chuck

------------------------------

From: Yasuyuki Saito <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: DVD-RAM drives
Date: 8 Feb 1999 18:36:58 GMT

Hello:

In article <79fr0i$[EMAIL PROTECTED]> at comp.os.linux.hardware
Matthew Fleming wrote:

$B!B(BThe title says it all: is there any support for these puppies under
$B!B(BLinux? Ideally I'd like to be able to write as well as read the disks.

  I use LF-D100J (Panasonic).
  DVD-RAM drive is usually recognized CD-ROM drive by kernel.
So, you have to apply a patch to "/usr/src/linux/drivers/scsi/scsi.c".
You can get the patch from my Web page
        http://www.jaist.ac.jp/~sight95/linux/dvd-ram/dvd-ram.html
and you have to apply 2048 byte/block patch. If you use kernel 2.2.0
or later, you don't need 2048 byte/block patch because kernel 2.2.0
or later support 2048 byte/block.

  Above page is written by Japanese, but I think you understand what
you have to do.

  I can use LF-D100J on ext2 filesystem, read/write is OK. So it
can be used like HDD !  ( but a little slowly... )

--
School of Information Science
JAIST, Japan Advanced Institute of Science and Technology

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (M. Buchenrieder)
Subject: Re: Delaying eth0 initialization?! Why???
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 1999 16:53:16 GMT

"Kris Kasias" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

[...]

>I've got a 3Com 3c900 PCI card doing a fresh install of Redhat Linux 5.1
>(Macmillan CD).  During the install it detects that the card is 3Com and
>presents a list of possible choices, from which I choose the 3c900 and
>choose to have the address assigned via DHCP.  All is cool up to there.
>When I boot I see the message "Delaying eth0 initialization"

[...]

Make sure that the 3Com card has an IRQ of its own. You probably do have
another PCI card defaulting to that IRQ, which may not work if the driver
doesn't support it.

Michael
--
Michael Buchenrieder * [EMAIL PROTECTED] * http://www.muc.de/~mibu
   Note: If you want me to send you email, don't mungle your address.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,linux.redhat.misc,linux.samba
Subject: Re: 10/100 Ethernet SWITCH (to be used for Fast Ethernet LAN, and 10-BaseT
cable modem)
Date: Mon, 08 Feb 1999 02:55:07 GMT

whistler<blahblah>@twcny.rr.com (Paul E Larson) wrote:

> Ouch.... I bought my AutoSensing hub last week at Best Buy for $99.95 of
> course CompUSA had them for $129.95 two floors down. As for NIC's I like
> anything with the DEC Alpha chip, I wonder what Compaq has planned for it?

The Alpha is a CPU.  Compaq still owns that portion of Digital Semiconductor.
Compaq sold off the networking and PCI bridge components to Intel.  I doubt if
we'll see any more DEC 21x4x 'Tulip' based NICs since they are competition for
the Intel counterparts.
John C. Archambeau

From: Joseph Lam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: UDMA problem with Aladdin and patched 2.2.1 kernel)
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 03:44:57 +0800

Hi,

Just got it working by using hdparm -X34 -d1. The -X34 option is crucial.

Joseph

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.ibm.pc,comp.sys.intel
Subject: Re: BUYCOMP, Don't Believe It!
Date: Mon, 08 Feb 1999 19:49:24 GMT

http://www.buy.com/bc/text/searchresults.asp?qu=&hardsoft=hard&search_id=30411&mfg_id=1136
> Search for "ST36531A"
> Says it's in stock, but after ordering it yesterday, BUYCOMP is
> telling me that it is backordered.
> LShaping.

Buycomp is quickly becoming one of my most hated companies.  3 times now they
have either posted incorrect information on their website, sent me items I
did not want, or cancelled, or failed to honor prices on items they made
mistakes pricing.  Is it worth my time to price the item and order it only to
be informed at a later time that the prices will not be accepted?  I don't
think so.  They created a monster with this Hitachi monitor sham, and it will
happen again.  I suggest you stop doing business with them.  Their staff are
untrained, they lie about putting the customer first, and their site seems to
never have the information I am looking for.  I write this with much angst
with the hope that many of you will boycott them as I am.  It isn't worth
your time to deal with people who are more than willing to charge your credit
card, but not send you what you ordered.

Shop elsewhere, BUY.COM sucks ass!

Mike Sawicki