Linux-Hardware Digest #499, Volume #9            Thu, 25 Feb 99 14:13:39 EST

Contents:
  Re: Sync'ing IDE drives (Jayasuthan)
  Re: Setserial High Speed Help (C Lance Moxley)
  Re: Booting without a keyboard (Shane Hultquist)
  Re: Which HP DeskJet to buy/not to buy? - quick advice needed, please!
(Bandyopadhyay Rajarshi Dipak)
  Re: Overclocking (was: Re: K6-2 and Linux, Are there any Bug?) (BL)
  Re: Overclocking (was: Re: K6-2 and Linux, Are there any Bug?) (Cooper)
  Re: Booting without a keyboard (Phil Snowdon)
  Re: Printer setup (Admin - Northwest CTCnet)
  Dual Pentium II 300MMX Processor swap? (Richard Rognlie)
  stuck in 320x200, Riva TNT + Linux ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  anyone have a ATI tv tuner card working in Linux? ("Klement, Christopher
(EXCHANGE:CRK:5T31)")
  Re: settle a CPU debate ("rob")
  Re: midi (Burkard B. Kreidler)
  Re: Windows & Linux File Transfer ? (Burkard B. Kreidler)
  Re: 3-button mouse ("K. Brant Niggemyer")
  Re: Modem troubles (Phil DeBecker)
  Re: Modem for linux (JOSEPH L ROBERTSON)
  Re: Raw writing to PCMCIA SRAM cards (David Hinds)
  Network setup ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: scsi harddisk cache (Juergen Heinzl)

Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 21:29:38 -0800
From: Jayasuthan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Sync'ing IDE drives

Hi,

Ops here... make sure your kernel supports hdparm -f option... I found
my kernel 2.0.36 doesn't support it but kernel 2.2.0 does... Clear it up
if I am wrong here....

Mike Richardson wrote:

> I've had problems for a while with a machine that would regularly currupt
> data on disc - it seemed particularly fond of the root partition - whenever
> it was shut down. Having gathered the nerve to play around a bit, I've found
> that putting "hdparm -f /dev/hda" and "hdparm -f /dev/hdc" (the two hard
> drives) near the end of /etc/rc.d/init.d/halt (just after any remaining
> partitions) are remounted read-only seems to have fixed it (touch wood).
>
> Has anyone had any experiences like this. The culprit it a Seagate ST33232A
> on a m'board with a 200M Cyrix and the 430TX chipset (an ABit PX5).
>
> Regards
> Mike Richardson

#include <linux/geek.h>
<----|
        I run around LAN for 10 Hours....
                                Surf WAN for 4 hours and........
                                         play on localhost for 3 hours !
Is this mean I am qualify to become a GEEK !
                                                                                |---->

"The sky looks blue but it is not"
---> Don't see things and believe <-----

------------------------------

From: C Lance Moxley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.protocols.kermit.misc
Subject: Re: Setserial High Speed Help
Date: 25 Feb 1999 13:24:19 GMT

In comp.os.linux.hardware Mickey Stein <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> This is the part that I need help with. My serial card has a 16650
>> UART. The manufacturer says that it will go 460800bps. So you're
>> saying that if I set the baud_base to 460800 and the divisor to 2
>> I'll be able to get 230400bps if I use spd_cust and set my ppp to
>> use 38400?

> Well it sounds like you're on the right track for setserial. I'd give that a try.

Did it and it works perfectly. Thanks a lot for the help.

>> I've poured over the setserial manual but didn't figure out that
>> 38400 would really mean something else.

> Sorry: I thought it said that right on the man page for setserial.

It does, but I didn't comprehend it until I read your message. I guess
I just needed it said a different way to fully understand it.

> Maybe you need to slow down and get it working at 115K first. All of these isdn
>modems
> will talk to an async term emulator (like minicom or seyon or even the interactive
>mode
> of kermit) at 115, but I've yet to see one that'll talk to any modem at 230K.
>There's a

Actually I have a new 3Com/USR Courier V.90 external modem that also
will talk to a DTE at 230400bps. That's what I used to make sure that
I was actually talking 230400 through my serial port. If you do an &w
followed by an i7 you will see the DTE speed that the modem is talking
to the serial port at.

It seems to do AT commands just fine at 230400 as does the Eicon Diva T/A.

> Anyway.. give that setserial the way you mentioned it a try and good luck with this
> thing. It can be done in linux and you should be able to get both b channels working
> too.

Again, thanks for clearing up what the setserial man page says.
Everything is working like I expected it to now.

--
C Lance Moxley
http://www.uiuc.edu/ph/www/clm

------------------------------

From: Shane Hultquist <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Booting without a keyboard
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 09:41:41 -0500

I guess in this case then, Linux wouldn`t be my answer.  I'll just use the crossover
between the two.  Thanks.  Now I'm off-topic so I'll head to another newsgroup.

Shane

Colin wrote:

> Shane Hultquist wrote:
> >
> > Is it better to have a hub to hook 2 computers to the linux box, or just extra
>NICs??
>
> If you're just hooking up two computers together, all you need is the two
> NIC for those two computers and a crossover cable.  Once you try and get
> three computers on your network, you must use a hub.
> --
> Reply to "cwv [at] idirect (dot) com"

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bandyopadhyay Rajarshi Dipak)
Subject: Re: Which HP DeskJet to buy/not to buy? - quick advice needed, please!
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 11:23:25 GMT

In article <Ew8A2.5283$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, A.G. wrote:
Thanx for *any* input!

Hi
My  670C works great!!

--Raj

        Let me tonight look back at the span
                'Twixt dawn and dark & to my conscience say:
        "Because of some good act to beast or man,
                The world is better that I lived today."

                                        ---Ella Wheeler Wilcox

From: BL <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux.slackware,comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Overclocking (was: Re: K6-2 and Linux, Are there any Bug?)
Date: 25 Feb 1999 14:45:29 GMT

: the only chips i hear of that can be is celeron but besides that.... the
: chip is not made to be over clocked..... if it was supposed to be over
: clocked it would RUN at THAT SPEED not 50-100 MHz slower

ever hear of "Marketing"?

do you think that simply marking numbers on a chip is enough for gullible
consumers to believe that that's all the chip was -designed- to do?

sometimes the markings are accurate (technically) and sometimes not.

don't accept blanket statements about o/c-ing.  it all depends on the
particular chip.  check the net first before taking such a hardline on the o/c
issue...  a lot of people can o/c the celeron, whereas other chips may
actually be at their marked limits.  it all depends.

------------------------------

From: Cooper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux.slackware,comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 15:50:31 -0100

Michael Creasy wrote:

> If this is the case can someone tell me why my K6-2 350 when overclocked
> to 400 crashes linux on boot, it has a huge fan on it.

Overclocking speeds up more than just the CPU. If the rest of your system such
as your memory can't cope, it still won't run.

Cooper
--
Linux: Proof of intelligent life on earth

------------------------------

From: Phil Snowdon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 14:51:33 +0000

> Your (maybe) problem has nothing to do with keyboard.  My old 20MHz 386
> needs 4 minutes to uncompress the Debian default kernel.  It would
> improve if you use a smaller custom kernel.  If I am not mistaken, you
> need to give your machine more time not a keyboard.

With a keyboard it takes a few seconds to uncompress the kernel.  From
x86.org it _could_ be something to do with the A20 which is controlled
by the keyboard controller.  I'm guessing that only some motherboard
implementations need the keyboard there to do the switch.

The reason for this is that the only part of setup.S which waits for
anything is checking to see that A20 really *is* enabled.  This
probably explains why the boot sequence continues as soon as a keyboard
is plugged in.

Anyway I'm off on holiday now.  Plenty of time to think of a solution.

------------------------------

From: Admin - Northwest CTCnet <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Printer setup
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 16:29:22 -0800

Colin Day wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> > Hi all!
> > I am having a problem setting up a printer under Slackware 3.5
> >
> > It is a LaserJet 6L, and I have set up the /etc/printcap and filter files, but
> > when I print, nothing happens.  lpq shows that the job is in the queue, and in
> > lpc, stat shows that the it is "waiting for lp to become ready (offline?)"
> >
> > The printer is on, and plugged into lp0, and I have parallel port support
> > compiled into the kernel.  I can also print in Windoze 95 to the same printer
> > on the same system.  If I do a ps aux | grep lpd, it shows that lpd is
> > running. What could I be forgetting??????

Depending on the I/O address of your LP port, Linux may think it is really on lp1
instead of lp0.  Try echoing some text to /dev/lp1 and see if it prints.  If it
does, change the port in /etc/printcap to point to lp1 instead of lp0.

--
Northwest CTCNET Administrator
4312 Kitsap Way, Suite 104

------------------------------

From: Richard Rognlie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Dual Pentium II 300MMX Processor swap?
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 11:46:49 -0500

I ordered and installed a pair of Pentium II 300MMX processors back in
September.  However, at the time I ordered them, I apparently did not
*specify* that I wanted a matched pair.  As such, I got a

CPU 1:  Pentium II 300Mhz MMX Model 3 Step 3
CPU 2:  Pentium II 300Mhz MMX Model 5 Step 2

My system (Linux 2.2.1) works fine unless I go in SMP mode.  In that
case, it works for a while (18 hours or so) and then locks up tight.  At
first, I thought it was something in the Linux kernel, but recently I've
been informed that it is probably an incompatibility between the CPUs
themselves.

I've attempted to contact my vendor, but they are unable to assist since
they no longer stock any Pentium II 300 MMX CPUs.

Does Intel offer any form of a CPU swap service?

Does anyone out there have a Pentium II 300 MMX Model 5 Step 2 they'd
be willing to swap for a Pentium II 300 MMX Model 3 Step 3?  Or vice
verse?

Regards,

Richard Rognlie
Gamerz.NET Enterprises
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: stuck in 320x200, Riva TNT + Linux
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 16:20:32 GMT

All,

I'm running RedHat 5.2 (Linux 2.0.36) and I've just installed XFree86 3.3.3
and the latest XF86_SVGA server.  I run XF86Setup and choose Riva TNT from
the list (my card is a PCI STB Velocity 4400, 16MB RAM).  When I start X I'm
stuck in 320x200 resolution.  When I shut down X I can see from the text on
the screen that it was using "Built in mode".  I've tried everything that I
can think of.  My system is an old Pentium 120, 64MB RAM.  Any help and/or
tips would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Matt

From: "Klement, Christopher (EXCHANGE:CRK:5T31)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: anyone have a ATI tv tuner card working in Linux?
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 11:53:06 -0500

Hi I am wondering if anyone has an ATI tv tuner to work in Linux. if
anyone does, i would appreciate an info on how to do it. thanx.

chris

------------------------------

From: "rob" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: settle a CPU debate
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 09:53:18 -0700

Mine works just fine (300a@450)

rob.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Burkard B. Kreidler)
Subject: Re: midi
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 18:13:41 GMT

>       I am trying to use playmidi that came whit RH 5.2 but it doesn't work,
>every other sound type (.wav .mp3...) works find, I have tried both
>kernel 2.0.36 (that came whit RH 5.2) and 2.2.1.
>       The command line that I tried was:
>
>playmidi -f file.mid
what does cat /dev/sndstat say?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Burkard B. Kreidler)
Crossposted-To: comp.linux,comp.os.linux.questions,linux.redhat
Subject: Re: Windows & Linux File Transfer ?
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 18:13:41 GMT

>This is because the structure of MSDOS file system and VFAT file system
>is the same. The only difference is that VFAT can produce special
>directory entries for long file names. If all your files on a VFAT disk
>conform with 8.3 naming conventions, it is the same as a MSDOS disk. As
>a newly formated disk in most cases contains no files, they all conform
>the 8.3 naming conventions, and so the disk is a MSDOS and a VFAT disk
>at the same time. :-)
Are long file names on _Floppy_ Disks possible under windoze at all?

------------------------------

From: "K. Brant Niggemyer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 3-button mouse
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 18:14:47 +0000

http://www.inria.fr/koala/colas/mouse-wheel-scroll/
http://solaris1.mysolution.com/~jcatki/imwheel/

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 13:19:07 -0500
From: Phil DeBecker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Modem troubles

feliz wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> my modem is a PnP ISA 56K modem (chepie company make, Rockwell chipset..I
> think)...I have kernel 2.2.1 with Pnp support so it should work fine...it is
> allocated to com3 (/dev/cua2) and minicom seems to detect it, but When I
> query the modem with an AT
> command in minicom it takes about 15 seconds to respond with the modem
> string.  It comes back at me with just a couple charachters at a time and it
> takes a while.
> I can dial out and connect to my ISP but the login prompt comes in just a
> few charachters at a time also.  Hence, normal login can take minutes
> instead of seconds.

You have an IRQ conflict which is what is slowing your modem down.  Set the
modem to COM2 or COM4 (/dev/ttyS1 or /dev/ttyS3).  COM1 shares IRQ 4 with COM3,
and COM2 shares IRQ 3 with COM4.

Phil

------------------------------

From: JOSEPH L ROBERTSON <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Modem for linux
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 10:51:46 -0600

John wrote:

> In article <7arrl2$9h6$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Wouter Graef <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> writes
> >Can anyone tell me what kind of modem is the best choice for use with linux ??
> >
> >Thanx in advance & greets,
> >
> >Boch
> >:
>
> anything that is *not a winmodem*
>
> if I were you, I'd go for any well known external. pace modems are nice,
> and last time I looked, had a lifetime guarantee.
>
> Expect to pay anything up to UKP90 (I think) the last time I looked -
> try http://www.pacecom.co.uk
>
> They may have come down in price since then.
> John
> Reply-to is broken. Please use news-reply (at) i-zone
> dot demon dot co dot uk if you wish to reply via email.
> You have spammers to thank for this. Sorry.

keep in mind that external modems add to the latency problem.
http://www.tidbits.com/tb-issues/TidBITS-367.html#lnk4

-jojo

http://web.engr.uark.edu/~jlr2

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Hinds)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.portable
Subject: Re: Raw writing to PCMCIA SRAM cards
Date: 25 Feb 1999 18:18:19 GMT

Mark Smith ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: Hello,
:
: With the PCMCIA drivers under Linux is it possible to write a binary to an
: SRAM card ?

Absolutely.

-- Dave Hinds

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Network setup
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 17:44:34 GMT

Hello everybody!

I hope i'm in the right place for this...I have 2 computers at home runnig
win98 and i'm connected to the net with adsl. My isp uses dhcp to assign ip
adresses and i wan't my 2 systems to share that connection. I'm planning on
using my old donkey, a 486 (finally i can do something with it!!) with linux
and ip masquarading to act as a server for the 2 faster ones.

I was going to put 2 ethernet cards on the server, but i've read somewhere
that you only needed one if your hub has an uplink port. Since i'm going to
buy a third system, it is very probable that i'll go with a hub. I was
wondering if that solution would work since it'll save a bit of dough and can
you tell me what an uplink port really is (I've done some research and
couldn't find anything).

Anybody can help me? I would sure appreciate it.

Thanks

Gumby

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Juergen Heinzl)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: scsi harddisk cache
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 21:25:03 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Rene Windiks wrote:
>Dear all,
>
>does anybody know, how one can check if the disk
>cache of a (scsi) harddisk in enabled or disabled?
>Does exist a linux tool for this?

I guess scsiinfo can do that. Might be you've got it on your disk
already.

Cheers,
Juergen

--
\ Real name     : Jürgen Heinzl                 \       no flames      /
 \ EMail Private : [EMAIL PROTECTED] \ send money instead /