Linux-Hardware Digest #505, Volume #9            Fri, 26 Feb 99 06:13:32 EST

Contents:
  linux on Compaq ProLiant 1600 ("Christian B. Westermann")
  Re: RL2000.PCI and Redhat5.2 ? (Ansgar Duelmer)
  Re: CDROM Problem (Alan.J.Thackray)
  Re: parallel port problems with suse 5.3 and ASUS P2B-DS (Alan.J.Thackray)
  Re: Future Domain TM-830 & TMC-850 (Jean Staerck)
  Re: Booting without a keyboard (Shane Hultquist)
  modemblaster (digicom) DI5601 problem (Mick Fine)
  Sony Superstation/Aiwa Bolt (Colin Morningstar)
  AMD vs. Cyrix vs. Pentium MMX (BCD User)
  HELP!!!  FDISK problem (Alex Weishaupl)
  Re: Portable Linux?? (Pierre Moret)
  Re: token ring pcmcia for linux? (Kazin)
  Re: driver for Matrox Productiva G100 x-windows? (Henrik Carlqvist)
  Re: Using a DELL as a Linux server (Thomas Bendler)
  Re: Setserial High Speed Help (Frank da Cruz)
  Using an I/O-Port range ("Martin Adler")
  Re: For experienced linux lovers (Serge Lambert)
  Re: Is AVA1505 I supported by Linux ? ("Sascha Bohnenkamp")
  Re: PCI modems in linux? ("Nik Alston")
  suse 6 on dell poweredge 2300 with raid controller ("Richard TSCHUMPEL")
  Re: Can Linux use 36-bit Xeon addressing? ("Eugene")
  Ifconfig counter overflow (Stephen Jenuth)
  Re: Help: Viper550 with AMD K6-2 and Linux... (Tim Southerwood)
  Re: Using a DELL as a Linux server ("John F. Johnson III")

Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 08:56:20 +0100
From: "Christian B. Westermann" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: linux on Compaq ProLiant 1600

Is it possible to run Linux on a Compaq ProLiant 1600? Has anybody
already installed Linux on a Compaq ProLiant, or is it some kind of
difficult to install it because there are to many problems coming with
it?
I'm grateful for every hint I can get.
Thank you in advance.
Chris
Ch. B. Westermann

University of Bern
Physikalisches Institut
Sidlerstrasse 5            phone: +41(0)31 6314417
3012 Bern                    fax: +41(0)31 6314405
Switzerland                email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                           http://phimcasymir.unibe.ch/casymir/cas_SS.html

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ansgar Duelmer)
Subject: Re: RL2000.PCI and Redhat5.2 ?
Date: 24 Feb 1999 18:27:37 GMT

Sergey Koltogyan ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: Wher i can found driver RL2000.PCI for RedHat5.2 ?
: Serg

hi,

you don t need one. the rl2000 pci card is a ne2000 clone. so compile the
ne2000 driver in.

have fun

ansgar

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Alan.J.Thackray)
Subject: Re: CDROM Problem
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 18:06:26 GMT

is your cdrom listed in the /etc/fstab file, with its default file
system type

if not you may have to use

mount -t iso9660

type "man mount" for details, I forget.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Alan.J.Thackray)
Subject: Re: parallel port problems with suse 5.3 and ASUS P2B-DS
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 18:10:40 GMT

I seem to remember on my ASUS board (old), I had to go into the BIOS,
and set the address to 378, The mobo came configured as 3C8 as
standard, and Linux did not find it.

------------------------------

From: Jean Staerck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Future Domain TM-830 & TMC-850
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 08:49:38 +0100

Georges Chalhoub wrote:

> Hi,
> Please could you tell me where can I find a Linux driver for one of the
> above?
> Thank you

 The good one is the Seagate.
 Rebuild your kernel by specifying seagate at config level
and don't forget to declare at lilo prompt :
 your_kernel tmc8xx=0xc8000,5
if the selected I/O address is 0xc8000, and the IRQ 5
(the posible addresses are : 0xc8000, 0xca000, ...

 Jean STAERCK          BULL S.A.
 Email:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Shane Hultquist <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Booting without a keyboard
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 13:49:05 -0500

I`m setting up a system right now that will be doing basically what yours is doing.
Is it better to have a hub to hook 2 computers to the linux box, or just extra NICs??

Shane

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 23:55:56 -0600
From: Mick Fine <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: modemblaster (digicom) DI5601 problem

I recently purchased a ModemBlaster DI5601 56k V.90 ISA modem. Has
anyone else had success with this device?

The modem is listed as "ok" on the "Winmodems are NOT modems" info page
(http://www.o2.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html) however, I can't make it
work! It seems to initialize in ezppp but hangs with, 'EXPECTING: OK.'
Minicom doesn't find it.

I'm running RH5.2 and 'ezppp' (I connect just fine with my old slow
Practical Periphs 14.4 external so I think pppd is config'd properly
:-)). 'Setserial' and 'pnpprobe' returns valid (looking) data and I've
researched and tried different init strings, baud rates, com ports,
irq's, etc., etc. 'til I'm blue in the face.

I know there's something simple I've missed but unless someone can help,
I plan to sacrifice a chicken tomorrow just to cover all the bases....

Thanx!

-Mick

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Colin Morningstar)
Subject: Sony Superstation/Aiwa Bolt
Date: 23 Feb 1999 22:24:51 GMT

 I'm looking into (finally) getting a tape drive to back up
my 8GB hard drive.  The new Sony Superstation 10GB and the Aiwa Bolt
look like good deals (CompUSA has the 10GB internal IDE/atapi tape
drive for $119).  But the BRU2000 people tell me that these
tape drives are Linux incompatible.  Does anyone have contradictory
evidence?  Has anyone successfully managed to use one of these
tape drives under Linux?  Thanks in advanced.

Colin Morningstar
Dept of Physics
University of California, San Diego

From: BCD User <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: AMD vs. Cyrix vs. Pentium MMX
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 17:37:39 -0500

I am going to upgrade my CPU and am wondering if there is any
performance data regarding the big three CPU's.  I suppose AMD's 3-DNow
is essentially useless for Linux, but is that true for MMX instructions
as well? I am moving from a pentium 100.  Motherboard is Super 7.  Tom's
Hardware guide only gives 95 and NT performance data.

Thanks,

Trevor

------------------------------

From: Alex Weishaupl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: HELP!!!  FDISK problem
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 15:24:09 GMT

Forgive my ignorance, but I installed RedHat 5.2 on a WD Hard Drive over
the weekend.  the install went fine, and LILO indicated it installed
fine, but for some reason, when I boot the system without a boot disk, I
get a funky error message:

   Not found any [active partition] in HDD

How does one set the active partition for Linux?  I thought that was a
DOS thing.

Alex Weishaupl

------------------------------

From: Pierre Moret <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Portable Linux??
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 08:35:12 +0100

Kyle Dansie wrote:

> I have Linux working on a Toshiba 4000CDS and it works great. [...]

yeah, but...
<http://slashdot.org/articles/99/02/24/112249.shtml>

--
Pierre Moret, [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Kazin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.portable
Subject: Re: token ring pcmcia for linux?
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 04:05:04 -0500

Antoni Lapinski wrote:

> These are the supported pcmcia cards for Linux:
>
> 3Com 3c389 TokenLink Velocity
> 3Com 3c689 TokenLink III
> IBM Token Ring Adapter
> iBM Turbo 16/4 Token Ring
>
> Which one would you suggest?

        Last I knew, all of those use the same IBM Tropic chipset, and should
be pretty much the same.  I think the driver used the 'lowest common
denominator' approach.  I have two cards, both the usual IBM TR Adapters
(though one says 'Dell'), and I've used the Turbo, with basically the
same results.
        I heard rumours about a Madge driver for their PCMCIA RingNodes, but I
haven't actually seen such a beast.  Though it'd be nice, I've got a
dozen of those...

  Mike Stella                             Software / Systems Engineer
  http://www.sector13.org/kazin            Thirteen Technologies, LLC
        Remove 'FREAK' - you know the drill...

------------------------------

From: Henrik Carlqvist <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: driver for Matrox Productiva G100 x-windows?
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 19:24:31 +0100

beavisb wrote:
> Is a driver for this video card for use with x-windows available and
> where?

It was written by SuSE and is now included in the latest XFree86 which
you will find at www.xfree86.org.

regards Henrik

------------------------------

From: Thomas Bendler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Subject: Re: Using a DELL as a Linux server
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 10:21:00 +0100

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> In article <919860940.933481@marvin>,
>   "Jorrit Tyberghein" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm investigating the possibility of using a DELL Linux server. Here
> > is the hardware configuration that we're interested in:
> >

> Unless you compile a special boot disk for some other distribution, the only
> version of Linux that really supports the Dell systems more or less out of the
> box is Red Hat Linux. You can get special boot disk images from Dell that will
> recognize both the AMI MegaRaid (PERC) controller and the Adaptec controller
> (so that you can install from the Red Hat CD onto the internal drive array).
> Here's the URL for your model:
>
> http://support.dell.com/filelib/system.asp?sysid=PWE_PNT_PII_4300
>
> Look toward the bottom of the page.
>
> I believe the boot images for the PERC raid controller are also available
> directly from the manufacturer, at www.ami.com or ftp.megatrends.com (the site
> claims the driver isn't available; that's not technically true). You should
> probably get these drivers at some point anyway, as you'll need them if you
> recompile the kernel.

Hi Erik,

I heard the same asking for Dell Server support. The only difference I
heard is that the PERC/2 SC controller is based on the SymbiosLogic
53C895 chipset wich is also support by the SuSE distribution. I get a
Dell Server end of next week so I will try to install the SuSE
distribution. I will post if this project succeed.

regards Thomas
Sysadmin

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Frank da Cruz)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.protocols.kermit.misc
Subject: Re: Setserial High Speed Help
Date: 24 Feb 1999 19:07:21 GMT

In article <7b191j$ss0$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
C Lance Moxley  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: I need a hand with setserial. I have installed a Lavaport PCI serial
: card (UART 16650) on a RedHat 5.2 system with the default RedHat kernel.
: I can talk to both new serial ports just fine, but I can't talk to them
: with any speed over 115200bps. I installed this card to use with an
: external ISDN T/A and I want to get the maximum throughput from the
: serial port. What I don't understand is the "baud_base" and the "divisor"
: options with setserial. How do I set these to allow 230400bps? I'd
: like to use Kermit to talk to the T/A at that rate.
:
I don't know about setserial or your serial card, but C-Kermit 7.0
(currently in Beta test) supports high serial speeds in Linux in the normal
POSIX way, i.e. without any of the hacks found in previous releases.
C-Kermit's list of supported speeds on any particular platform comes from
its scanning of the appropriate header files at compile time, and can be
seen by typing:

  set speed ?

at the C-Kermit> prompt.  In Red Hat 5.2, where speeds are defined in
/usr/include/termbits.h, serial speeds up to 460800 bps are supported.

C-Kermit 7.0 can be found at:

  http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/ck70.html

By the way, if anybody would care to try building it on older Linux
systems and/or on non-Intel platforms, please let me know.

Thanks.

- Frank

------------------------------

From: "Martin Adler" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: de.comp.os.linux.hardware,de.comp.os.unix.linux.hardware
Subject: Using an I/O-Port range
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 20:02:32 +0100

I am trying to confiqure my Soundblaster Live! as a standard SB16 under
Linux Kernel 2.0.36. The I/O-Port Range is E800-E81F. When I enter this into
the kernel setup field for the IO-Port, the kernel throws back an error with
something like "E81F not defined". How do I get it to except this range. It
excepts E800 alone, but no sound is produced :-).

Please help, and thanx ahead.

Martin Adler

From: Serge Lambert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: For experienced linux lovers
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 19:17:41 +0100

Thanks a lot for giving me a hand

------------------------------

From: "Sascha Bohnenkamp" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Is AVA1505 I supported by Linux ?
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 11:30:00 +0100

>Does anybody know if the AVA 1505I card is suppoerted by the Linux
>kernel (I cheked the Linux SCSI list,and the external version is
>supporte, via the AHA 152x driver, but found no reference to the
>internal one; is there any difference between the two).

what do you mean by 'external'/'internal'?

I have run 1505 with no problem via the 152x driver ...

------------------------------

From: "Nik Alston" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: PCI modems in linux?
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 18:51:00 -0000

>I have a Diamond Supra Express 56i PCI and I can't seem to make it work
>on linux. I checked at the Diamond Page and there's a paper that says
>that Supra's are Traditional Modem. It has a rockwell chipset. I've
>heard that rockwell has proprietary pci comunication protocoll. Is the
>case for this modem ???

i have one of these and spoke to diamon tech support. This modem is
controllor-less, i.e. it NEEDS drivers to work properly, and they only have
drivers for Windows (95/98/NT)

nik

------------------------------

From: "Richard TSCHUMPEL" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux,at.linux,comp.os.linux
Subject: suse 6 on dell poweredge 2300 with raid controller
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 20:07:01 +0100

=======_NextPart_000_0007_01BE6031.3DD7F620

linux gurus,

has anyone managed to get SUSE 6.0 linux running on a dell poweredge =
2300 server with a raid controller. i found hits how to do this with red =
hat linux (make new boot floppy with image from AMI MegaRAID =
ftp.megaraid.com), but not for suse.

any ideas are welcome!

thanx
regards,
richard

_____=20

                       S I Z E   D O E S   M A T T E R

                                - Godzilla -
_____=20

                             DI Richard Tschumpel=20
                               Sales Consultant=20
                           CASE&Tools, Video Server=20

ORACLE GmbH                                   email: =
[EMAIL PROTECTED]=20
Brigittenauer Laende 50-54                    Tel: +43-1-33777-224=20
A-1203 Vienna                                 Mobile: +43-664 3564283=20
A U S T R I A                                 Fax: +43-1-33777-299=20
_____=20

=======_NextPart_000_0007_01BE6031.3DD7F620

<HTML>
<HEAD>

http-equiv=3DContent-Type><BASE=20
href=3D"file://C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft =
Shared\Stationery\">
<STYLE>
<!--
body, PRE, BLOCKQUOTE, a, MENU, dd, UL, DT, dir, ADDRESS, h1, h2, h3, =
h4, h5, h6, HR
{
font-family: "Arial";
font-size: 12pt;
color: 000000;
}
-->
</STYLE>

</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV>linux gurus,</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>has anyone managed to get SUSE 6.0 linux running on a dell =
poweredge 2300=20
server with a raid controller. i found hits how to do this with red hat =
linux=20
(make new boot floppy with image from AMI MegaRAID ftp.megaraid.com), =
but not=20
for suse.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>any ideas are welcome!</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>thanx</DIV>
<P><FONT=20
face=3D"Courier =
New">regards,<BR>richard<BR><BR>_________________________________________=
_____________________________________=20
<BR><BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp=
;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;=
S=20
I Z E &nbsp;&nbsp;D O E S &nbsp;&nbsp;M A T T E=20
R<BR><BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbs=
p;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp=
;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;-=20
Godzilla=20
-<BR>____________________________________________________________________=
__________=20
<BR><BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp=
;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;=
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;DI=20
Richard Tschumpel=20
<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nb=
sp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbs=
p;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Sales=20
Consultant=20
<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nb=
sp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbs=
p;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;CASE&amp;Tools,=20
Video Server <BR><BR>ORACLE GmbH=20
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&=
nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&n=
bsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;email:=20
[EMAIL PROTECTED] <BR>Brigittenauer Laende 50-54=20
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&=
nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Tel:=20
+43-1-33777-224 <BR>A-1203 Vienna=20
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&=
nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&n=
bsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Mobile:=20
+43-664 3564283 <BR>A U S T R I A=20
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&=
nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&n=
bsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Fax:=20
+43-1-33777-299=20
<BR>_____________________________________________________________________=
_________=20
<BR></FONT></P></BODY></HTML>

From: "Eugene" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Can Linux use 36-bit Xeon addressing?
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 18:35:31 GMT

I don't think so. Linux is 32 bit on x86 architechture. But it has full
support of 3 64-bit architectures, PPC, SPARC, and Alpha. 64-bit memory
space.... woooww!!!

From: Stephen Jenuth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Ifconfig counter overflow
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 19:23:22 GMT

I just noticed that a network counter appears to overflow, or at least
not continue to accumulate once it hits 2^31-1.

Ifconfig reports the following on linux 2.1.130.

eth0      Link encap:10Mbps Ethernet  HWaddr 00:60:08:C5:95:9F
          inet addr:24.64.26.3  Bcast:24.64.26.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          RX packets:2147483647 errors:6020331 dropped:101585 overruns:101585
          TX packets:101585 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:392147991
          Interrupt:5 Base address:0x300

Has this been fixed on a later version?

I don't want to reboot because the system is so stable. Its been up and
running for 85 days so far and would like to go for a year.

Also, anyone who has any suggestions on fixing the high number of
overruns could provide some advice.

Best regards,

Stephen Jenuth
([EMAIL PROTECTED])

From: Tim Southerwood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Help: Viper550 with AMD K6-2 and Linux...
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 18:38:42 +0000

Dear All

I would have no hesitation in recommending a K6-2 on the *right*
motherboard.
I built my girlfriend's system based on the Aopen AX59-Pro with a Viper
330 AGP card. Beautiful! :) Linux, Windoze (95 and NT) run perfectly (in
latter case, this is a *relative* opinion ;->

Sorry - can't give you a specific opinion on the 550, but if the the
330-precedent is anything to go by, then it has potential. Definately,
it's all in whether your motherboard's any good or not. The company who
sold me the AX59-Pro have just started shipping Asus P5A and P5B boards
as being slightly better in their opinion.

Whole thing blows the socks off the PII system I have to use at work :(

Incidently, the AX59-Pro is based on the VIA chipset. My 2p's worth -
don't skimp on the components - by the best within your range.

Cheers

Tim

<snip>
> > > I'm just about to start buying and building my new PC, and I've already
> > > decided that it will be running Linux on a K6-2 at 350MHz.  I need a
> > > shit-hot graphics card, and several people have recommended the
> > > Viper550.  However, Diamond support have just told me that the Viper has
> > > problems with VIA and ALI chipsets, because they don't cascade IRQ's
> > > properly, and that they "can't be sure that it would be a problem in
> > > Linux".

<snip>
> > > Cheers - Adam...

<snip AMD-kicking>

> Does Intel pay you for this?
>
> BTW: I have asus P5A + riva TNT + k6 with no problem and very good
> performance
>
> bye,
>
> Daniele
<snip>

Tim Southerwood
Systems Analyst
Computing Services, University of Surrey
Guildford, Surrey, GU2 5XH, England
Tel: +44 (0)1483 300800 x3409

------------------------------

From: "John F. Johnson III" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 19:23:57 GMT

>From what I see it should be a beast of a machine.... one question what are
you going to serve? Also do you have much *nix knowledge. One thing that can
lead to unstability is if you are going to run X on the machine. But as a
raw FTP, HTTP, and shell access it should do well. The only thing I am not
familiar with is the UPS end of Linux.

Jorrit Tyberghein wrote in message <919860940.933481@marvin>...
>Hi,
>
>I'm investigating the possibility of using a DELL Linux server. Here
>is the hardware configuration that we're interested in:
>
>    - Dell PowerEdge 4300
>    - 2x450 Mhz Intel Pentium II
>    - 512 MB ECC EDO RAM
>    - 3x9GB Ultra-2/LVD SCSI (7200rpm)
>    - Intel EtherExpress (PCI) Pro/100 MB/s Ethernet (TP)
>    - APC Smart-UPS 1400 VA
>    - SCSI controllers: Adaptec AIC-7890 Ultra-2/LVD and Adaptec AIC-7860
Ultra/Narrow SCSI-3