Linux-Hardware Digest #514, Volume #9            Sat, 27 Feb 99 11:13:36 EST

Contents:
  Re: Does Cyrix support linux (Sander Dol)
  installing linux on iomega jaz ("Genevičve Hoerni")
  Re: Pentium III Boycott and survey info (mlw)
  Re: aha152x doesn't work after kernel recompile (Jon Gerdes)
  Re: Sound Blaster Live! (J. P.)
  Re: Diamond SupraExpress 56iPRO or 56ePRO and linux (Hans-Joerg Heppner)
  Modem configuration problem, I've all tried, HELP!!!! ("Creal")
  Re: Pentium III Boycott and survey info (Ilya)
  Re: Pentium III Boycott and survey info ("John Burton")
  Re: Slackware won't recognize MCA SCSI controller (Shaw  Carruthers)
  Diamond SupraExpress 56iPRO or 56ePRO and linux (Christian Jönsson)
  Re: Installing Linux on an ASUS P2B-S ("Sascha Bohnenkamp")
  Linux on Microchannel: Please help! (Cameron Bennett)
  Re: Pentium III Boycott and survey info (Peter F. Curran)
  Enabling SCSI BIOS (Orlando Gamboa dos Santos)
  intel etherexpress pro 100A ("mike plotsker")
  How to Hardware Reset PC (mike)
  Screen saving under RH5.2 linux (Nick Brok)
  Re: Aldi market Scanner in line w/ lp0 & printer ("Walter Harms")
  scsi scanner on DC390 (Wolfgang Sievers)
  Re: TEKRAM DC310 SCSI card and linux (Thomas Neurauter)
  Can someone help? (John Thrasher)
  Re: ADAP152X SCSI card not detected! Help! (Edwin Charles Holley II)
  Re: Small pump for liquid cooling... ("David A. Frantz")
  is my hardware supported? (Kevin White)
  Re: I SEE NO REPLYS TO THIS GROUP ???? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

From: Sander Dol <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Does Cyrix support linux
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 1999 12:39:11 +0100

Yes!!
I run it happily on a Cx86200MhzMMX without ANY problem!!
The latest kernel even let you specify this processortype.

Regards,
Sander

------------------------------

From: "Genevičve Hoerni" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,fr.comp.os.linux
Subject: installing linux on iomega jaz
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 1999 13:22:32 +0100

Hello,
does anyone has ever tried to install linux on a jaz drive, and boot from
it.
Is this possible ?
thanks for advice

Fred ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

------------------------------

From: mlw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Pentium III Boycott and survey info
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 1999 11:41:22 +0000

Anthony D. Tribelli wrote:
> : The 80286, once flipped into protected mode, was not able to return to
> : realmode without a reset, this instruction, nicknamed hyperspace, was
> : used to allow OS/2 1.x to implement a DOS box. I don't see how they
> : could have removed it without breaking a all of the 16 bit protectd mode
> : stuff.
>
> I don't think there was a reset instruction, documented or otherwise. I
> believe the keyboard microcontroller was asked to reset the main CPU, and
> BIOS could recongnize a cold or warm boot and possibly jump to a location
> specified in RAM (to resume where things left off rather than FFFF:FFF0).
> To expand on your brief mention of 'kernel space', a protected mode OS
> (WinNT and Linux, maybe Win9x) can prevent user programs from doing this
> sort of thing.

Sorry, you are wrong. OS/2 1/x was a 16 bit protected mode operating
system. There was an undocumented instruction that is not in most
assemblers, but can be coded with db or emit. The instruction was put on
the chip so test program written by Intel could put the processor into
protected mode and take it back out again.

It is this instruction that Microsoft used to enable its DOS box in OS/2
1.x. I'm pretty sure it is a protected instruction, so a program would
have to be in an unprotected environment, such as Windows 9x or kernel
space in NT. The problem with the instruction was that it clobbered some
range of memory, I think 40H.

I have to remember where I have seen it. I bet Dr Dobbs has an old piece
on it.

--
Mohawk Software
Windows 95, Windows NT, UNIX, Linux. Applications, drivers, support.

------------------------------

From: Jon Gerdes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: aha152x doesn't work after kernel recompile
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 1999 13:10:02 +0000

Christopher Parent wrote:

> When i installed RH 5.2, I got it to detect my card by passing the
> correct parameters to it. So it's loading the card as a module. Well
> now that I've recompiled the kernel, WITH modules as well, it doesn't
> load the module for my card during boot.
> I compiled the modules, and did a make modules_install. My
> conf.modules is the same as it was before too....correct aliases and
> parameters, but to no avail, it still does not work. Can any help me?
>
> Thanks
> Chris

Christopher

I too am unable to get the module to work.  However if you compile the
driver and scsi into the kernel and
append="aha152x=0x340,11,7" in /etc/lilo.conf
ie ioport,irq,scsi-id then it should come up

Cheers
Jon Gerdes

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (J. P.)
Subject: Re: Sound Blaster Live!
Date: 26 Feb 1999 20:36:20 -0800

On 26 Feb 1999, Andreas Hofmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>A SB Live does not emulate any other soundcard by hardware. so your linux
>box will be silent until you add a second soundcard.
>a SB Awe64 gold and a SB Live work together quiet well. the awe are
>supported including the wavetable

Ah so!?  This means that what I saw on the Win98 was just a driver that
emulated SB-16 on SB Live!

Thanks for that correction,
Joe

------------------------------

From: Hans-Joerg Heppner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Diamond SupraExpress 56iPRO or 56ePRO and linux
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 1999 13:34:11 +0000

Christian J=F6nsson wrote:
> =

> Is either the internal or the external Diamond SupraExpress 56iPRO resp=
 56ePRO
> modems usable under Linux?
> =

> Any comments on the performace/price?
> =

> TIA,
> =

> /ChJ
> =

========
> http://www.dejanews.com/       Search, Read, Discuss, or Start Your Own=

Hello,

I fear, that the Diamond SupraExpress 56i Pro or 56 e Pro are both not
supportet under Linux. It is not possible to initialize the modem
using minicom. There is just no response from the modem.

greetings =

Joerg

-- =

+--------------------++--------------------+
Hans-Joerg Heppner ++------> Berlin-Steglitz
E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]       =

                [EMAIL PROTECTED]
+--------------------++--------------------+

------------------------------

From: "Creal" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Modem configuration problem, I've all tried, HELP!!!!
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 1999 14:30:22 +0100

I have a modem on COM4 under Dos/Windows and it works.
But under Linux, I can't make it work... Please help me...
I've read some HOW-TO's (modem, serial and ppp) to resolve my problem, I've
tried setserial, configure inittab etc. but it does'nt work, who can help
me?

Who has already configure a intern modem on COM4 under linux ?
Who can tell me exactly what to do ?

Thanks you... bye!

------------------------------

From: Ilya <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: 27 Feb 1999 04:22:25 +0800

In comp.os.linux.misc Boycott Swintel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>       Pentium III chip with the individual serial number that can
> track your web surfing and buying habits can now have the ID number
> turned on and off by software.

And I won't ever buy an Intel product. Get something else. My Pentium II is
the last one.

------------------------------

From: "John Burton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 1999 13:47:08 -0000

Ilya wrote in message <36d7e381.0@calwebnnrp>...
>In comp.os.linux.misc Boycott Swintel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Pentium III chip with the individual serial number that can
>> track your web surfing and buying habits can now have the ID number
>> turned on and off by software.
>
>And I won't ever buy an Intel product. Get something else. My Pentium II is
>the last one.

I don't understand what all the fuss is about. You'd need to run some
software
to actuallyt _send_ people this serial number so if you object, just don't
run
that software. This isn't any way for people to jut grab it from your
machine you know.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Shaw  Carruthers)
Subject: Re: Slackware won't recognize MCA SCSI controller
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 1999 14:06:01 GMT

Snoman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I was able to boot Slackware off a floppy on my PS/2 model 57 slc, but it
>always says that it found no SCSI controller.  At the "boot:" prompt, I tried
>"ramdisk ibmmcascsi=?" and the best I could do was if I used 1 through 6, It
>would force detection, check the IO ports, and then say there was no SCSI
>controller.  Does anybody know how to solve this problem?

ibmmcascsi =7 should work.( and maybe io 0x3540)

------------------------------

From: "Sascha Bohnenkamp" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Installing Linux on an ASUS P2B-S
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 14:29:00 +0100

*snip*

did you have your bios configured to have a 1MB hole at 16MB?
(do NOT do this)

does the bios shadow something? (not needed)

try to tell the kernel it has 255MB or something like that, if ir works ->
your
bios should be upgraded and be properly configured

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Cameron Bennett)
Subject: Linux on Microchannel: Please help!
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 16:13:26 GMT

I need a definitive answer.  What version of Linux, slackware or
whatever will run on a MCA machine?  I have a 486 that I bought for
$20, and I want to try it out.

Thanks

CB
--
Cameron Bennett
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (you know what to do)

Having a smoking section in a restaurant is like having a
urinating section in a swimming pool.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter F. Curran)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 1999 14:52:29 GMT

In article <7b8ta5$c23$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        "John Burton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>Ilya wrote in message <36d7e381.0@calwebnnrp>...
>>In comp.os.linux.misc Boycott Swintel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>> Pentium III chip with the individual serial number that can
>>> track your web surfing and buying habits can now have the ID number
>>> turned on and off by software.
>>
>>And I won't ever buy an Intel product. Get something else. My Pentium II is
>>the last one.
>

>I don't understand what all the fuss is about. You'd need to run some
>software
>to actuallyt _send_ people this serial number so if you object, just don't
>run
>that software. This isn't any way for people to jut grab it from your
>machine you know.

I think I can explain the fuss.  People don't _want_ to be tracked
on the Internet.  They only wish to provide identification info
to those sites they want to do business with.

It is the proposed _use_ of the PSN, not the PSN itself which
is so objectionable.

If it becomes standard practice for business-related sites to
require you to install an identification software system, PIII
users might be forced to trade in their anonyminity everywhere
for greater _perceived_ transaction security at a relatively
few sites.

Because some sites might require the PSN to be on if you have a
PIII, (or if you have PSN-aware copy protection on some of your
software), people will be forced to leave it on because of the
hassle of needing to reboot 10 extra times a day.

If the system comes up even once with the PSN enabled, any
software could cache the number and still provide it later
even when the PSN is disabled, perhaps against the user's
wishes.  Any virus could grab it.  It would seem to do almost
_nothing_ to really improve online security, yet that is what
Intel is proposing it should be used for!

An effective and secure ID system that is under the complete
control of the user isn't really a problem.  The PSN doesn't
meet that requirement, not by a long shot.  The PSN query
instruction should have been made OS-privledged, IMO, as well
as commands to turn it on and off.  Then, the OS could dole
out a dated and encrypted security 'token' as needed through
an API, and no regular programs like viruses could obtain the
PSN.

I think the only solution is to just vocally oppose the use
of such a poor security enhancement.  As you said, the number
on the chip is harmless by itself.  It is the software, and
those who actually try to make use of the PSN who are
dangerous.

--
     Peter F Curran
     Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute

dough knot male: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Use address in Organization line, finger
for PGP key.  Antispaam test in progress.

------------------------------

From: Orlando Gamboa dos Santos <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Enabling SCSI BIOS
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 15:16:20 +0100

Hello,
How can I enable the BIOS of an SCSI adapter (Seagate ST01, 16k ROM,
BIOS 3.2) in order to use it with Linux ?

From: "mike plotsker" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: intel etherexpress pro 100A
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 11:27:28 -0500

does anyone know if a driver exists for this NIC??? I know redhat ships with
support for the 100B but not the 100A.

------------------------------

From: mike <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: How to Hardware Reset PC
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 1999 10:07:10 -0500

The PC is not completely reset by the Reset Button on most computers.
It is reset by the Power Good Line on the PC Power Supply.
 I would like to make a switch to cause a reset of that line,
but i'm not sure if a direct short will kill the Power Supply.
I would like to do this in the most simple way. Other possibilities
are to ground the line through a resistor momentarily of a value
that does the job but does not kill the supply or cut the line
and use some sort of switching either mechanical or solid state.
 Does anyone have the info about solving this problem?

                                Thanks
                                        Mike

------------------------------

From: Nick Brok <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Screen saving under RH5.2 linux
Date: 26 Feb 1999 14:18:13 +0100

Hello all,

I asked this earlier, but I know more about the problem now..
I've linux 2.2.1 running on an Intel pentium 75.
I have a Diamond Stealth II 220 svga card.
After using X (the latest x-server for this card) the linux screen blanking
becomes corrupt.
I mean it blanks the normal text but not the bold text.
Is this a bug in the X-server?
After a reboot, everything is working fine again... does anyone know how to
solve this strange problem?

Please sent e-mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Greetings,

Nick Brok

------------------------------

From: "Walter Harms" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Aldi market Scanner in line w/ lp0 & printer
Date: 26 Feb 1999 14:20:30 GMT

"Carsten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>I'm pretty much a newbie to Linux (S.u.S.E 6.0)  Setting up my printer on
>Lp1
>worked fine, but now I want to use my scanner as well.  It's a noname from
>"Alid" market and it's physically connected to LPT1; from the scanner,
>another parallel cable goes to the printer.  How could I make use of the
>scanner?

par port scanner are a problem because the manufactures dont use standart
commands to work nor do they release specs. look at the SANE homepage
(mostang.com ?) for drivers and try, perhaps you are lucky.

        walter

--
=====
"Life is a hereditary disease, sexually transmitted and invariably fatal."

------------------------------

From: Wolfgang Sievers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: scsi scanner on DC390
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 1999 16:03:18 +0100

my microtek scanner  x6 lets my kernel  crash.
host: tekram dc390, ibm-hd, cd-write traxxdata.
it works under windoof 98!

------------------------------

From: Thomas Neurauter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: TEKRAM DC310 SCSI card and linux
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 1999 16:22:58 +0100

Christophe DELAPLACE wrote:

> someone can tell me if the DC310 SCSI CARD of tekram is good for linux ?

Probalby you'll need a driver for it not
included in the kernel (well, I'm not sure,
but when I used an older Tekram-SCSI-adapter
I had to use an extra driver).
You'll find it somewhere out there without
problems.
Then it works just as expected of a SCSI-adapter.

:-) Thomas Neurauter

      a h n e t - Gruppe | Digitale Medien

Obere Donaustrasse 4       t 43.732.715355
A-4040 Linz                f 43.732.730970
                           m 43.676.5400296
http://www.ahnet.at        e [EMAIL PROTECTED]
ahnet Gruppe der Hofmueller Repro GmbH & CoKG

------------------------------

From: John Thrasher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Can someone help?
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 1999 15:20:50 GMT

==============F13D8E561B11B44E7D0D7AED

I need to find the best beginner's resource on the web.
I would post some questions but I find that most answers assume too
much.
I know nothing.
And most resources I find assume too much.
I need to find the best beginner's resource on the web.

Please e-mail me at [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Thank you,
John

==============F13D8E561B11B44E7D0D7AED

&nbsp;
much.

From: Edwin Charles Holley II <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ADAP152X SCSI card not detected! Help!
Date: 26 Feb 1999 14:31:26 GMT

I too have a SB16 with an onboard SCSI at 340.  I am trying to install 5.2
Red Hat.  I am wondering if you have an active bios?  IE does an
initilization blerb come up when you boot?  I am trying to find out if
there is some software that will alow this be enabled, it will make
installation much easier.

                  http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: "David A. Frantz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Small pump for liquid cooling...
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 1999 10:34:46 -0500

One place to check (I don't have a recent catalog) is Edmund Scientific.
They use to have exactly what you are looking for.   One other poster
suggested windshield washer pumps which may also work but don't expect a
long life.

Dave

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 07:58:46 -0700
From: Kevin White <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: is my hardware supported?

I have put together a new system, and would like to install linux on
it.  I have a microstar 6147 motherboard with built in:

Creative Ensoniq es1371 audio
ATI AGP2x 3d rage pro w/ 8MB SDRAM

PII-300
64MB pc100 SDRAM
32x ide cdrom
MS Intellimouse Trackball
3com pci etherlink III 3c905b

I have static ip address to connect to the internet (through my adsl,
which plugs into my ethernet hub).

Finally, I have two hard drives (each is the master on its udma/33 ide
channel).  The first (2gb) has win95 on it.  The second (6 gb)has a 3.75
gb fat32 partition, and the rest available for linux.  Can I install
linux in that remaining space on the second hard drive, and use lilo to
load it from there?

What distribution of linux will come with drivers for these components?
I have use slackware before. Can I download slackware 3.6 and get it to
run here?  What other things would I need to download (a newer kernel?
newer xf86? etc)

Thanks for any advice
--
Kevin White, Software Engineer

Subject: Re: I SEE NO REPLYS TO THIS GROUP ????
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 1999 15:45:11 GMT

According to mike  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> Maybe it's my news server, but I see no replys to anyones
> questions.
>   That's the purpose of a newsgroup to get and give help.
> What's happening.

Unfortunately, a lot of people do not provide enough background
information about their system and configuration and enough background
about the problem for anyone else to even *begin* to diagnose the
problem.

>   What goes around comes around

To make matters worse, as the number of malformed questions increases
the people qualified to answer them decreases as they drop off the list.

Finally, if you ever post a question to the list and then manage to
solve it on your own, you should *always* post a followup so that
others can benefit from your experience.  This way both the question
and answer will get archived at Deja-News.  Now if more people went to
Deja-News before posting...

-p.