From: "Will" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Red Hat 5.2 with Creative Riva TNT???
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 1999 20:25:03 +0100

I have the same card... It's supported by the new SVGA-server, available
everywhere! ;)

thomas

------------------------------

From: "Venkatesh S. Rao" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: SOundblaster PCI128 card
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 1999 14:58:30 -0600

All,

I am trying to get a SB PCI 128 sound card to work with my RedHat 5.2
distribution.

1. Have any of you succeeded at this, or am I wasting my time trying?

2. The /proc/pci recognizes the card as an Ensoniq AudioPCI, and the
es1370 dirver recognizes it, but at boot up, it says "soundscape card
not found" in the Sound Initialization phase.

Any thought/comment appreciated.

Thanks,
Venky

Reply to: [EMAIL PROTECTED] | sed s/nospam.//

------------------------------

From: "Misterfixit" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Can Linux use 36-bit Xeon addressing?
Date: 27 Feb 1999 05:18:48 PST

What are some major obstacles to building a XEON box on the bench in the
garage?  I have read this thread from the start, but haven't yet gone out
and searched for the keyword XEON, so nulldev this post if you want.

Cheers

Dave

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Frank Miles)
Subject: Re: AMD k6-2. Which MB?
Date: 28 Feb 1999 19:50:27 GMT

In article <7bbu9s$22v$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Rod Roark  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Jakub Chmielewski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>Heard here that fic 503+ is quite unstable for linux. Which mb should I
>>choose then? I intend to build a linux only server - email, www, ftp on amd
>>k6-2 300. Price is an important factor.
>
>No, the FIC motherboard is excellent, probably the best in its class.
>I've sold many Linux systems with it.  However there was a recent
>problem where the jumper setting for the 95Mhz bus was documented
>incorrectly.

On a related matter: what MBs work with the K6 and UDMA drives?  That is,
preserving the UDMA performance, not just EIDE performance?  The current
docs and howtos don't seem (I hope) up to date on this.

        -frank

------------------------------

From: "Lawrence S. Lee" <llee1*SPAMSPAM*@idt.net>
Subject: Success! Red Hat 5.2, Diamond Supra 288i ISA/PNP setup
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 1999 16:40:03 -0500

I know there are a lot of hardware configs out there, but I thought I
might share my particular setup experience. I sort of wandered all over
the map getting this all set up, so some things may be
redundant/unnecessary (comments will be appreciated).

System: Micron Millenia Plus 200
    200 MHz Pentium "classic"
    Intel HX motherboard
    128 MB EDO RAM
    8 MB ATI All-in-Wonder Pro (based on RAGE PRO), PCI
    12 MB Creative 3D Blaster (based on Voodoo2), PCI
    BusLogic LT SCSI adapter, PCI
    Diamond Supra 288i PnP modem (ISA)
    13 GB Western Digital disk w/ EZDrive (primary IDE drive,
Windows-only)
    3 GB Western Digitial disk (secondary IDE, Red Hat 5.2, boot from
floppy)
    1 GB Seagate disk (SCSI)
    1 APC UPS (serial port 1)
    1 Palm III docking cradle (serial port 2)

All in all, it's a pretty convoluted system.

I suffered the same "slow modem response" problem that other folks in
the newsgroup are experiencing. To get my modem recognized at all I had
to jump through some hoops.

First I read the Red Hat 5.2 manual for setting up PPP and attempted to
configure everything with linuxconf. I set /dev/modem to point to
/dev/cua2 and tried to set up all the networking stuff via the GUI, but
it was getting confusing. I'm more of a "edit-the-files" sort of person.

Next I read the PPP-HOWTO doc, but quickly (and dishearteningly)
realized I needed to read the Serial-HOWTO doc first because my modem
just wasn't responding.

After a few reboots and checking /var/log/messages (even pulling out the
modem at one point), I figured out that the kernel recognized my two
onboard serial ports, but nothing else. I rebooted into Win95 and went
to Control Panel -> System -> Device Manager -> Modem -> Resources and
saw that Windows had configured it via "automatic settings" to IRQ 5,
I/O range 03E8 - 03EF.

Going back to the Serial-HOWTO doc, I read the part about setserial and
how there was some talk that the /dev/cua* devices could be replaced by
/dev/ttyS*. I didn't want to have to disable my two existing serial
ports, so I added a setserial /dev/ttyS2 irq 5 base_addr 0x03e8 line to
/etc/rc.d/rc.local line and stty crtscts < /dev/ttyS2.

I omitted a critical step here, but I'll continue with how things
proceeded.

It seems as though Red Hat 5.2 doesn't include kermit, so I used minicom
to test the modem. While minicom was able to get a response out of the
modem with the init string AT S7=45 S0=0 L1 V1 X4 &C1 E1 Q0, it was slow
as molasses in coming. Dialing in to my ISP proved no better. I ran
through pppd and my chat script in verbose mode (/usr/sbin/pppd
/dev/ttyS2 38400 connect 'chat -vf /etc/ppp/chat.sh'" and the SYSLOG
(/var/log/messages) showed the output coming through at a crawl.
Ultimately, my ISP timed out before my chat script!

Then I went through comp.os.linux.hardware and sifted through about 2500
messages, learning what WinModems (and their functional equivalent)
were, that they were relatively useless under Linux, that there was a
lot of debate over the Aopen modems, and that people should really
include more information in their subject lines besides "help!
important!" Finally, I came across a few threads that talked about the
pnpdump and isaconf utilities. This was new to me. I hadn't heard of
these before, and nothing I read about in the Red Hat 5.2 manual about
setting up PPP and modems said anything about this (though I could be
mistaken!)

Well, reboot back to linux to read the pnpdump and isaconf man pages. I
then did what everyone suggested: pnpdump > /etc/isapnp.conf. I then
reread the man pages a few more times and edited isapnp.conf. It
contained sections for both my modem and my sound card (I left the sound
card untouched... that will be another day). After carefully sifting
through all the various comments and options in isapnp.conf, I
uncommented the appropriate lines for the IRQ and base address, and also
uncommented the ACT Y line.

Finally, I reran isapnp with "isapnp /etc/isapnp.conf" and went back to
minicom. I was on the edge of my seat when the modem init string came
back before I could even hit ctrl-A, Z, and my ppp script was displaying
output like a charm. Woo-hoo!

Now all I have to do is figure out the rest of the PPP-HOWTO. It seems
like Red Hat 5.2 ships ppp with an empty /etc/ppp directory, which is
something of a pain. However, the modem works, so that's enough to keep
me happy for a while.

A few paragraphs back I said I missed a critical step, and the missed
step was running through pnpdump and isapnp.conf steps. Special thanks
to Michael Buchenrieder for clarifying this for me. As he puts it:

"PNP devices need to be identified and initialized first - the
"setserial" command simply tells the Linux kernel about the settings of
the port; it doesn't initialize the port itself."

Therefore, if you have a PnP modem you really need to get isapnp working
to initialize the serial port before you can get setserial to do
anything useful. After this was all done, the modem responded like a
charm. Final note: my system BIOS is a Phoenix 4.05 or something like
that, and the BIOS has a setting to allow you to enable or disable PnP
in "it." (Basically, it asks "PnP OS?" and you say "yes or no") I
initially set this to "no" and had first run pnpdump with this setting,
but eventually just left it at "yes," reran pnpdump and haven't hit any
snags yet. Doing a diff between the "no-PnP" and "yes-PnP" isapnp.conf
files showed only a few lines difference.

This is a list of links I sifted through while researching the problem
on comp.os.linux.hardware and in the HOWTO docs. The link for
oslab.snu.ac.kr/~djshin/linux has been updated from whereever I got
it... arrrgh! Memory fails me, but I think it was in either Serial or
PPP on "where to see a list of all the linux mailing lists."

http://www.teleport.com/~curt/modems.html
http://web.aimnet.com/~jnavas/modem/faq.html
http://www.dejanews.com/
http://oslab.snu.ac.kr/~djshin/linux/
http://www.in.net/info/modems/
ftp://ftp.cc.gatech.edu/pub/people/gregh/
http://www.math.sunysb.edu/~comech/tools/CheapBox.html#modem
http://www.math.sunysb.edu/~comech/tools/StonyBrookPPP.html
http://www.searchlinux.com/
http://www.hwaci.com/drh/
http://www.o2.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html
http://computershopper.zdnet.com/texis/cs/query.html?catid=C0000012&pid=P0039235&sb=3

http://home.earthlink.net/~webspot/ppp.html
http://www.tidbits.com/tb-issues/TidBITS-367.html#lnk4
http://www.opensound.com/download.cgi
http://linmodems.org/

Thanks to everyone, directly and indirectly, for helping me get this
blasted thing to work. I don't think I ever received a manual for my
modem (which was shipped with my Micron system). I was about to throw my
hands up in despair and get a new modem just so I could have some
printed docs when I read Stephen Loewinsohn's message that ended with
"Any Ideas? (Besides buying a new modem.)" That had me LOL and forced me
to sit down and slosh through everything one last time.

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                         http://www.stevens-tech.edu/~llee
"My other car is a Millenium Falcon."

------------------------------

From: "MindFink" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: BT Speedway ISDN PCI card
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 1999 21:03:50 -0000

Anyone got one of these to work under linux?

If so I'd love to know how you did it!

MindFink

------------------------------

From: "Nicholas Balog" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: WD 7197 SCSI card Install Trouble
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 1999 16:54:46 -0500

Does anyone have a Western Digital 7197 SCSI card running with Redhat 5.2 ?
If so, can you give me some hints on how to get this card working?

Thanks

Nick

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Linux Newbie)
Subject: joystick problem
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 1999 21:59:25 GMT

        I have a Gravis Xtermintor gamepad.  I've compiled support for
it into the kernel and when it boots up, it initilizes.  Here's what
it says:

js: Measured PIT speed is 1.187 MHz, but should be 1.193 MHz.
js: This is probably caused by wrong BogoMIPS value. It is: 448,
should be: 451.
js: Version 1.2.13 using 449 MHz RDTSC timer.
js0: Gravis Xterminator at 0x201

I have a program that tries to use /dev/js0 but it says that
"directory or file not found" or something like that.  I looked in the
/dev dir and sure enough the /dev/js0 isn't there.  How do I make
/dev/js0 appear in the /dev dir?

--
"Linux:  The best things in life are free"

------------------------------

From: "Jason McMinn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: X server for Monster Fusion
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 1999 17:02:25 -0500

Does anyone have any idea how to get x running with a Monster fusion agp?
If you have a answer for me please email me at
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
I am runnin redhat 5.2
Thanks
Jason McMinn

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Sigvard Lingh)
Subject: Re: Can't find 2 GIG on HD.
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 1999 22:15:45 GMT

Den Mon, 22 Feb 1999 07:58:24 -0500, skrev
 Dan Woicke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

You might have an old Bios. Can you upgrade your motherboard?

Sigvard
====================================

From: "W. Scott Grant" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ATX Power Off problem
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 1999 21:23:57 -0800

Some motherboards have a setting in them for "softreboots" I have ran into
this problem with other OS such as W95 and SCO....Look into your
motherboard manual, that should help.

------------------------------

From: "Andreas Hofmann" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Driver for Kingston EtheRX VP 10/100 NIC???
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 1999 22:01:46 +0100

try to use the tulip driver, probably the chip on your card is compatible
(most 10/100MBit chips are some sort of Digital clones)

Andreas

[EMAIL PROTECTED] moray ibm net (Moray) <[EMAIL PROTECTED] moray ibm net (Moray)> schrieb in
Nachricht <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

------------------------------

From: "Jack Newton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,linux.redhat,linux.redhat.install,redhat.config
Subject: Weird Hard Drive Error Messages - help!
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 1999 15:31:41 -0700

When I boot my new Linux installation, I get the following error messages
intersperced throughout the start-up messages:

hdb:hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hdb: dma_intr: error=0x84 { DriveStatusError BadCRC }
hdb: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hdb: dma_intr: error=0x84 { DriveStatusError BadCRC }
hdb: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hdb: dma_intr: error=0x84 { DriveStatusError BadCRC }
hdb: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hdb: dma_intr: error=0x84 { DriveStatusError BadCRC }

I've got redhat 5.2, and my hard drive is a Western Digital AC22500.  I have
a relative recent system (Celeron 300A) with Award BIOS 4.51.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Jack Newton

------------------------------

From: Mark Hahn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux SMP & GX Chipset (Supermicro P6DGU)
Date: 28 Feb 1999 22:45:29 GMT

>> I'm looking at putting together a Dual 500MHz PentiumII and 512MB of ECC
>> SDRAM
>> with a load of disks running servers.

depending on what you mean by "server", this sounds like a ridiculous
waste of money.  fileserving is essentially ALWAYS IO-bound, not CPU-bound,
and a measly P5 can saturate even a 100bT net.

> Linux doesn't support ECC. Save your money.

this is FALSE.  completely.  ECC works perfectly, which is to say that
Linux does not even need to know it's there.  if you mean that Linux
doesn't decommission faulty pages reported by uncorrectable errors,
that's true.  Linux also doesn't do any kind of active scrubbing.
it's _highly_ questionable whether Linux even should bother with this
sort of thing, given that the error rates for even 4G of ram are tiny.

>> I was thinking of using the ASUS P2B-DS but it seems like Supermicro is
>> ahead with
>> the GX chipset but I don't see any performance numbers for either.

the GX chipset seems to differ mainly in how many banks of ram it supports.
Xeon, of course, is just a warmed-over P6 (like the PII, PIII and Celeron).