  Re: Small pump for liquid cooling... (Phil Stevens)

From: Jose Urena <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Pentium III Boycott and survey info
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 1999 13:38:03 -0500

Static IP addresses might be unique, but MAC addresses are not!

Your MAC address outside of your network segment is not guaranteed to be the
same as your nic MAC ID
and your MAC ID can be changed by software, which further reinforces the fact
that it can not always be unique.

the following are a few, old, summary notes for further reading.

http://idea.sec.dsi.unimi.it/cert-it/firewall-L/9411/0038.html
renner ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
Wed, 02 Nov 94 17:14:29 EST
"Re[2]: Concerns about MAC spoofing"
"MAC layer addresses are only valid on your local Ethernet segment.
Once the packet goes through a router, the connection of the orginal
packet at the MAC layer is stripped away. "
[...]
"What this means is that MAC address need only be unique within
segments that share a single router (or bridge). "

From: "Michael R. Kline" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 1995 11:58:10 -0500 (CDT)
FINAL SUMMARY : How to change a MAC address?
"At any rate here's a corrected version of the code which will change
tu1's MAC address to ab:bc:cd:de:ef:fa.  I am setting this up so it will
occur after each boot, thus replacing the actual hardware address.
..."

I have no proof of the following, but please consider that:
I have heard that some NIC vendors rotate a finite number of their MAC ids and
hope that no two users  will ever have the same MAC ID in the same network
segment. (Probably those under US$20.00 network card)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (root)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: SCSI timeouts on all three channels?
Date: 1 Mar 1999 23:47:29 +0800

I recently switched motherboards in a machine, all of a sudden, I
start to run into SCSI Timeout errors on all three channels, I figure
that timeouts on ONE channel is likely a termination issue, can this
also be a termination issue?  Thanks for any pointers ....

Machine:        PPro 200 x2, 32 x8 =256 MB Parity RAM (4-way interleaved)
                SuperMicro P6DOF MB (Orion chipset), NE2000 clone ISA NIC.
                AHA-3985 3-channel SCSI controller.  SB compatible sound.

                Channel A: #0   Seagate Barracuda 4GB
                           #5   Plextor UltraPlex 14x/32x CD-ROM
                           #6   Fujitsu M2501A  230MB MO drive.
                Channel B: #2   Seagate Hawk 2GB
                Channel C: #3   Seagate Hawk 4GB SCA with SCA-50 adapter
                           #4   Ricoh M6201S 6x/2x CD-RW

System: Red Hat 5.1, kernels 2.1.127, 2.1.131ac2, 2.2.1, 2.2.2

------------------------------

From: Jose Urena <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Midi with SB AWE64 ISA: detailed
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 1999 13:55:25 -0500

I was under the impression that the AWE64 does not have all the MIDI
instruments in hardware, it uses a software+instrument file to play 32 of
the 64 MIDI instruments under windows.

Vardan, could you be trying to play a midi music file that is using
instruments not found in your SB's memory?

can anyone provide me with correct details as to why so people have problems
playing midi with the AWE64?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chris Baluta)
Subject: newbie help
Date: 1 Mar 1999 19:25:27 GMT

    I am looking to buy my first computer system and I'd be grateful
for any advice that can be offered. I am posting to this newsgroup
since I want to run Linux and not Windows.

    I am buying the machine largely for self-educational purposes:
I'd like to learn about operating systems (Linux), and  PC's in
general.  As for software, I will be running C, C++, Java, Perl,
Sed, XWindows, etc. I have very little interest in getting a machine
based on it being able to run game software "better than anything
else".

    And so my (vague) questions are: What are some of the things that I
should be looking for in building this system?  What ought I to look
for in terms of, eg. "sound cards" (I've a vague idea of what that
does) and "video cards"?  (I would like the system to have good
graphics & sound, despite the fact that I'm not interested in playing
games.)

    Thanks,

    Chris

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jan Just Keijser)
Subject: Re: Linux on RS/6000?
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 1999 16:16:57 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Peter Baars <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
>Hi there. I am fairly new to Linux and I have now two servers running on
>two intel PII's. As we have two RS/6000 machines and we do not really
>know what to do with it, I was wondering if Linux will run on these
>machines. I know, they come with AIX and that will be about the same as
>Linux, but why make things complex by running Linux and AIX?

It all depends on the RS/6000 box:

Linux PowerPC will run on PCI-based PowerPC boxes such as the RS/6000 models
42/43P but it will _NOT_ run on Micro Channel-based POWER/POWER2 systems such
as the models 2xx, 3xx, 5xx etc where xx=20,30,50,60,70,80,90,91,91,95,97 etc.

Also, I have yet to see Xfree86 driver support for the RS/6000 line of
graphics adapters so if they're workstations then you're in trouble as well...

HTH,

JJ

                 *NOTE*
   My Email return address is not correct
    in order to avoid mass mailings...
     These are the correct addresses
     (but with dashes between all letters):

  Jan Just (JJ) Keijser
  Unix Support Engineer / Configuration Manager
  Logica BV - The Netherlands

  SMTP: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

  Just to confuse some of those junkmailers:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

  In a world without fences, who needs Gates?
  My views are my own...
                    flames > /dev/null 2>&1

From: Jose Urena <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Winmodem woes
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 1999 14:37:13 -0500

USB is not yet part of linux, it is comming.

------------------------------

From: Dominick Samperi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.portable
Subject: Lots of ^[[21~ at boot time?
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 1999 14:39:27 -0500

Has anybody experienced the following problem on a laptop at boot
time / know how to stop it? I'm running Linux 2.2.1 on a Toshiba
4025 CDT laptop and when I boot I see the escape sequence ^[[21~
all over my screen (along with the usual boot messages). Once in
a while this seems to hang the machine, but usually the boot completes
and I do not see these escape characters again.

The escape characters seem to appear at that point in the boot sequence
where the hard disk is remounted read/write.

Thanks for any tips,
Dominick

--
Dominick Samperi
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Jacob lbaltuch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: advice sought for linux & fujitsu c350 lifebook
Date: 1 Mar 1999 19:55:57 GMT

Hello:

I've just bought a Fujitus C350 Lifebook and I'd like to know if
anyone reading this is running some (and which) flavor of Linux
on that piece of hardware.

Could you please answer in email to [EMAIL PROTECTED]?

Cheers,
Jacob

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: ATI cards and OpenGL?
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 1999 11:22:19 -0600

Really shor t question:

I have an ATI card that uses the Mach64 chipset.  (xpert@play)
Are there any OpenGL/Glide drivers out there for use with this chipset
and Linux?

I know of the MetroX drivers, but I don't have $250 to blow.

-Alex

------------------------------

From: "Woutur" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Speedstar A50
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 1999 21:59:55 +0100

Hello Boys and Girls of another Linux newsgroup!

I have a Diamond Speedstar A50 and the newest version of XFree86 (with
support for that card). But it doesn't work! My X-windows are @#$-up. Does
anyone know how I can configure my card so X-windows works?

Greetinx,

Woutur

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andries Brouwer)
Subject: Re: Can't find 2 GIG on HD.
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 1999 17:09:00 GMT

Dan Woicke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

: I bought a new 10 Gig Maxtor Hard drive to do my first Linux install.
: First, I used the utility which came with the hard drive to create 2 5
: Gig windows partitions (D: and E: drives). I then started the Red Hat
: install and came up on Disk Druid. I deleted the second 5 Gig partition
: (the E: drive) but the "available" disk space field only jumped up 3
: Gig. I decided to continue the install and made 4 logical partitions
: (under 1 3 gig extended partition) which filled up the 3 Gig. The table
: now looks like this:
: device        cylinder range          type
: /dev/hdb1     1-648                   Windows FAT32
: /dev/hdb2     649-1024                extended
: /dev/hdb5     649-700                 logical
: /dev/hdb6     701-900                 logical
: /dev/hdb7     901-975                 logical
: /dev/hdb8     976-1000                logical

: Everything seems to be working fine in Linux except I cannot recover the
: lost 2 Gig of drive space. I run fdisk in Linux and attempt to add a new
: primary partition and it comes back and says no available sectors.  I
: then ran fdisk in DOS and it shows 2 Gig of "available" sectors.
: However, when I choose to add a primary or extended partition, it claims
: that they are already there and won't allow me to add. It seems that I
: lost everything above the 1024 cylinder (through appox. 1250). At this
: point I would not mind to just capture it as a 2 Gig windows E: drive.

>From the Large-Disk HOWTO:
(See http://www.win.tue.nl/math/dw/pp/aeb/linux/Large-Disk.html)

11.1 BIOS complications

As just mentioned, large disks return the geometry C=16383, H=16, S=63
independent of the actual size, while the actual size is returned in the
value of LBAcapacity. Some BIOSes do not recognize this, and translate
this 16383/16/63 into something with fewer cylinders and more heads,
for example 1024/255/63 or 1027/255/63. So, the kernel must not only
recognize the single geometry 16383/16/63, but also all BIOS-mangled
versions of it. Since 2.2.2 this is done correctly.

So, either you must upgrade to 2.2.2 or so, or you must give the
kernel boot parameters hdb=1250,255,63 or so, where the 1250 should be
changed into Capacity/512/255/63, e.g., 10000000000/512/255/63 = 1215.

The capacity is given at boot time (in MB, where 1 MB = 1048576 bytes).

------------------------------

From: Michael Wise <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ESS Maestro-2 Sound card under Linux
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 1999 16:45:39 -0500

Hi folks,

We recently purchased some new laptops which use the ESS Maestro-2
sound card. However, this card doesn't seem to be supported under
Linux (2.0.36 or 2.2.2) at the moment. I was wondering if anyone
out there has a machine with this sound card and managed to get
it working under Linux? If so, we'd love to know the trick.

Thanks,

Michael

Michael W. Wise                                  Office: (617) 258-7254
MIT Center for Space Research                       FAX: (617) 253-8084
One Hampshire St., Building NE80-6015         Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cambridge, MA  02139-4307               WWW: http://space.mit.edu/~wise

From: "Tuomo O. Vuolteenaho" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Dual boot NT / Linux
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 1999 21:06:06 GMT

I have a bunch of questions concerning a system that I'm trying to build.
Some of my questions may have rather obvious answers, that is, to
everybody else.  If you are kind enough to answer, either email me
directly or post a message to this group -- depending on whether you think
the answer is of general interest.

Background:

I'm building a budget system, with some assistance from my relatives.
Specifically, I have a dual Celeron300a system with Epox's KB6.  The
system gets up at 504mHz, but I plan to run it at 464mHz.  I got the
pre-tested processors from www.computernerd.com.  Total cost of the
processors, fans, and the motherboard adds up to $560. The required
modifications are outlined at www.bxboards.com. I purchased two 8.4gb
Maxtor DiamondMax UDMA hard drives from compusa for $129 each -- got two
cute 5 inch TV's for the same price.  I just ordered 4*128mb (hopefully)
true pc100 dimms for $155 each.

Previously, I was planning to run Windows NT on the machine.  However, I
plan to do quite a bit of number crunching and I'm interested in the
supposed performance and cost advantage offered by Linux.  Specifically,
I'm interested in running a dual boot system offering both possibilities.

This leads me to a number of questions:

General: Where to find detailed information on dual boot Linux / NT?

Specific questions:
1. I'm looking at Red Hat Linux.  Safe bet?
2. How to modify Linux to allow for symmetric multiprocessing (SMP)?
3. I have two physical hard drivers.  How does this affect my problem?
4. Which operating system should be installed first?
5. What sound card should I get? -- has to work well with both os's
6. I want to use my Nokia 445XPro to its full (2d) potential. Video cards?
7. Adobe Exchange for Linux? Have to generate .pdf documents.
8. Where to purchase near-free software cd's for Linux - e.g. StarOffice?
9. Is the software that came with Maxtor's hard drives worth anything?
10.What questions should I ask if I knew better?

Thanks in advance,

                                                                Tuomo

------------------------------

From: Prentice <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Maxtor 5.7 GB drive fails partition check
Date: 1 Mar 1999 17:31:31 GMT

I've been having the same problem. I posted the following message
describing my problem to the comp.os.linux.hardware newsgroup, but no one
as provided me with a satisfactory solution yet. Do you have the same
Maxtor Drive as me?

Prentice

Message posted to comp.os.linux.hardware:

I recently put together a new system for myself using a Tyan S1590S
Trinity 100AT Motherboard and AMD K6-2/350. The Hard drive is A Maxtor
DiamondMax 5.76GB Drive (Model No. 90576D4). Since I put the system
together,
I've been having problems using the hard drive under Linux.

After the install, I get write errors when ever I write decent-sized
amounts of data do the disk. For example, when I try to install KDE-1.1
RPMS I get the following errors:

hda: write_intr: status=0x51 {DriveReady SeekComplete Error}
hda: write_intr: error=0x04 {DriveStatusError}

The action (installing rpms, etc.) will complete, usually producing this
error a few more times, and things will (appear to) work fine. When I
reboot, fsck will choke forcing me to run it manually. fsck will then
find many errrors - enough to classify my filesystem as "trashed."

Even when I don't write  alot of data to disk or see this error
reported,
after 3 or 4 reboots I'll still get fsck errors requiring manual
intervention,
resulting in a trashed filesystem.

Does anyone have any ideas how to fix this? I've booted up by typing
"linux hda=11166/16/63" but had the same problem. Should I select
"normal" (non-lba) mode in my BIOS? Does Kernel 2.2 have better support
for newer/larger UDMA drives? If so, how do I work around these problems
until I get a 2.2.x kernel installed?

Here are some pertinent specs for my system:
Tyan Trinity S1590S Trinity 100AT Motherboard
        - VIA Apollo MVP3 AGP Chipset
          (has onboard dual channel PCI IDE PIO, IDE DMA and IDE
UltraDMA/33)
        - Award BIOS, w/ latest BIOS update (v1.14) from Tyan website.
AMD K6-2/350 MHz processor
Maxtor DiamondMax (DM 2880 family) Drive (90576D4)
        - 5.7 GB
        - Actual c/h/s = 11166/16/63
        - UDMA 33

Thanks in Advance
---
Prentice Bisbal
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Princeton Plasma Physics Lab
http://www.pppl.gov

David M. Plummer wrote:

> I have a Maxtor 5.7 GB UDMA drive installed as primary master, LBA mode
and
> PIO Mode 4 enabled in the BIOS. It's currently set up as a single NTFS
> partition and works fine under NT. When a I try to boot Linux from a
floppy
> (either Red Hat's or Debian), the drive fails the partition check with
the
> following messages:
>
> Partition check:
> hda: hda: dma_intr: status=0x59 {DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest
Error}
> hda: dma_intr: error=0x04 {DriveStatusError}
>
> If I disable LBA mode and set i/o mode to "Standard" in the BIOS, I can
boot
> the kernel. However, when I boot NT with those settings, my drive
> performance takes a nosedive.
>
> The UDMA HowTo offers the boot parameter ide0=dma as a solution to some
UDMA

                  http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: "William P. Niner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Slackware 3.6 and PCMCIA Cards
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 1999 09:29:04 -0800

Y'all,

    I'm attempting to install Slackware 3.6 on a Compaq Contura 430/c.
The install went swimmingly, but it can't detect my network card (a 3Com
Etherlink III 3C589D).   I attempt to start PCMCIA services and get an
error message:  "unresolved symbol: apm_register_callback".  Any
thoughts?

    Thanks in advance,
    Pete

***************************
Rule 1:  HIDE!
Rule 2:  If they find you, LIE!!

------------------------------

From: gwizz@gwazz.* (Phil Stevens)
Subject: Re: Small pump for liquid cooling...
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 1999 17:36:14 GMT

On Sat, 27 Feb 1999 05:03:13 GMT, douglas shawhan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>I am scouting around for a small dc pump for a liquid-cooled cpu project.
>The water jacket and radiator are trivial to build... but most fishtank
>pumps are too big and don't like to have their speed varied.. 8-/
>
>Any sources? My linux box begs for this useless add-on!

How about a thermosiphon?

ps