  Re: x color depth? (Eric Ho)

From: John Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: Backup software
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 1999 20:59:22 -0600

Ed Young wrote:

> Rick Knight wrote:
> >
> > Can anyone recommend a backup/restore program for Linux (RH 5.2) and
> > X? I have a Seagate STT28000n SCSI Travan tape drive GUI based program
> > to use with it. I've tried Knox's ARKEIA but it seems to buggy and the
> > backup utility that comes with KDE doesn't support my drive.

> You might explore afio.  It has a safer approach to recovering from corrupted
> media than tar.  It is cpio like.

Could you elaborate on this a little, please.  I've often
suspected that tar, especially gzipped tar, might be a
problem if any errors happen to occur on the archive.  I use
taper (which compresses files individually before writing
them to the tape) with the Exabyte SCSI tape drive on my old
machine, but for some reason I can't get it to run with the
Colorado 5GB IDE drive on the new machine, so I've been
using tar instead.  I've not heard much on the relative
merits of cpio, afio and tar so anything you can contribute
would be appreciated...

--

-John ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Linux Newbie)
Subject: Re: Is the are a TV tuner program that will work with linux?
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 1999 21:22:20 GMT

I'm rather worried about installing software for my Hauppauge WinTV in
Linux since in the documentation somewhere it says that it might
rewrite the EPROM or something, should I be concerned at all?

--
"Linux:  The best things in life are free"

------------------------------

From: "Neville Dalal" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Problems with ESS1938
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 1999 12:09:42 -0000

Help from anyone please, just tell me if it is possible.  I have scoured the
web for information to no avail.

Someone must have this great soundcard!!

Thanks
    Nev

--
    email  - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
    Phone  - +44(0)131-557-3610

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup,linux.redhat.misc
From: Youngser Park <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Help! My printer won't print at all!
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 1999 16:29:54 -0500

On Wed, 3 Mar 1999, Gary Krupa wrote:

> Youngser,
>
> My BIOS has a PNP / PCI feature that allows me to
> enable a pnp OS, or disable it. Also, individual
> irqs may be pnp-enabled. The default is to disable
> the pnp os, which is how I left it. Since I know
> that I have an Intel PCI motherboard, this
> appeared to be the safest choice. And I haven't
> heard about linux becoming a plug and play system.
>
> Does your BIOS have this option? And if it
> doesn't, are you also running windows '95 (or
> '98)?

Yes, my BIOS has the same option, and it's enabled right
now. And, I do have Win98, and it still prints ok to the
same printer.

- Youngser

Youngser Park                     | The George Washington University
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]         | Dept. of EE & CS
(202) 994-5373 (O) -0227 (FAX)    | 801 22nd St. NW,
http://www.seas.gwu.edu/graphics  | Washington, DC 20052

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Eric Lee Green)
Subject: Re: -Help- In NIC hell
Date: 4 Mar 1999 04:30:48 GMT

On Thu, 04 Mar 1999 01:50:28 GMT, Shrubhumper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>conf.modules looks like this -
>alias eth0 3c509
>alias eth1 ne
>options ne io=0x320 irq=4   ----------->added by me per advice
>Nothing is happening. No transfer, no receive. They light up the hubs, but
>not the action lights. Pinging to and from the box doesn't work. Pinging
>localhost and local IP addresses does work.

Sounds like a routing problem. Type "route -n" and see what happens.
If it's not what you want, go into "netcfg" and set your routes to
something else. Or add explicit "route" statements to your
/etc/rc.d/rc.local file.

How I have my routes set in the firewall machine at the office:

Local network: 192.168.0.0/24
WAN: 204.xxx.yyy.zzz (numbers deleted).
    Gateway at 204.xxx.yyy.1 (a router)

Here are my route statements:

route add -net 192.168.0.0/24 eth0
route add -net 204.xxx.yyy.0/24 eth1
route add gw 204.xxx.yyy.1

--
Eric Lee Green         [EMAIL PROTECTED]     http://www.linux-hw.com/~eric
  "I don't mind Microsoft making money. I mind them having a bad

------------------------------

From: Eric Wurbel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Does Cyrix support linux
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 1999 14:05:10 +0100

Kishore wrote:

> Hi Folks,
> I fear,
>
> And Is it easy to load on Cyrix does it have any problems?
> Thanks for the input.
> -Kishore

>                   http://www.searchlinux.com

Linux runs without a glitch on my 6x86L P200+ CPU

Eric

--
le dernier hébergeur gratuit (sans pub obligatoire...) frappé ==>
http://altern.org

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Eric Lee Green)
Subject: Re: 10.2 gig drive
Date: 4 Mar 1999 04:34:33 GMT

On Thu, 04 Mar 1999 00:25:48 +1100, Scott Adams <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>G'day,
>I recently purchased a seagate10.2 gig drive, i'm having a hell of a
>time trying to partition it using both fdisk and redhat's "disk druid"
>for some reason it wont write 4 primary partitions but seems to only
>want 2. It's really weird and i need help!

It sounds like you're running into LBA problems. LBA tops out at 8 gigs on
IDE, but BIOS's have work-arounds for that.

Here's what to do:

BIOS's report what the track/head/sector are. For example, 1027/254/63
for a 8.4gb IBM IDE hard drive. You can go into your BIOS setup screen
and get these numbers.

On my LILO boot line, I type the following:

"linux hda=1027,254,63"

and voila! I can now use 'fdisk' etc. with it seeing the entire drive!

Note: do NOT use any of the "EZdisk" etc. software that may have come
with the drive, Linux doesn't need it and neither does Windows 98.

From: "David A. Frantz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Dual boot NT / Linux
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 1999 16:53:22 -0500

Paul Hovnanian wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>Tuomo O. Vuolteenaho wrote:
>>
>[snip]
>>
>> Specific questions:
>> 1. I'm looking at Red Hat Linux.  Safe bet?

Huh its the only sound bet.    However think seriously about an upgrade to a
2.2.1 kernel.   This kernel has improved support for SMP.

>Yes.
>
>> 2. How to modify Linux to allow for symmetric multiprocessing (SMP)?
>> 3. I have two physical hard drivers.  How does this affect my problem?

I got a little late into this thread, but can suggest one thing and that is
to put some thought into how you expect to use your systgem before your
decide on harddrive usage.    Depending on what your doing, seperating the
swap files to seperate IDE drives on seperate IDE channels can have a big
impact on performance.    Further more having a SCSI channel in conjuntion
with IDE can lead to a performance boost.     The main consideration is the
amount of main memory you expect to use, if you swap often to HD then
putting the swap partition on a seperate channel can be very helpful.     If
you intend to run any applications making extensive use of a database,
having that data on its on HD can also be very constructive.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 03 Mar 1999 23:03:23 +0100
From: Hans <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Yamaha OPL3-SAx

Hi, I'm trying the same thing but the card isn't recognized. Could you
please tell me what your settings IRQ, DMA, I/O are?
I'm using RedHat 5.2, sndconfig doesn't find the  ISA-card. I'm also
very curious what your kernelconfigurator reports about this card.
Thanks in advance, I'll contact you as soon as I find something about
this mixer problem.
Greetings,
Hans Meijaard

------------------------------

From: "David A. Frantz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What difference does a dual processor system make?
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 1999 16:58:49 -0500

arr wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>>>I am planning to assemble a linux-box from scratch and have to decide
>>>whether to buy a single or a dual pentium processor motherboard. The
>>>system will primarily be used for audio processing (DSP) under X.
>
>In article <tQqC2.3094$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>William Taylor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>But, if you apps are primarily single threaded, or a single large process,
>>most of the SMP benefits will only appear because other processes are
>>running on the other cpu allowing more "real" cycles for your app.
>
>It's worth noting that among these `other processes' will be the X
>server itself.  So if you have a CPU-intensive (but single-threaded)
>application generating animated graphics, for example, your
>application will be working out what to draw on one processor, while
>the X-server runs on the other processor actually doing the drawing.
>(This benefit didn't dawn on me till I actually got a dual processor
>:-) )
>
>Andrew Runnalls

Andrew I bet your all smiles!!!!!!!!!
DAVE

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Eric Lee Green)
Subject: Re: fireport 40 and Redhat . 5.2??
Date: 4 Mar 1999 04:36:14 GMT

On Wed, 03 Mar 1999 23:08:39 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <> wrote:
>Is the fireport 40 scsi controller compatible with Linux?  I have heard it
>uses an NCR chipset but I do not know which one.  If it is compatible anyone
>outthere using one with/without success?

Posting using it. Red Hat 5.2 auto-detects it just fine.

--
Eric Lee Green         [EMAIL PROTECTED]     http://www.linux-hw.com/~eric
  "First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you. Then they fight you.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mohd H Misnan)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: AMS Roadster Trident Cyber 9385 setup
Date: 3 Mar 1999 13:34:04 GMT

leslie barstow <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>In a fit of talking to myself...  I got it figured out!!!  Don't ask, you
>don't want to know.

I think I did reply to your request or may be I'm dreaming ;) Anyway, the
following XF86Config has working w/o problem on me since RH 5.1 days. This
is generic XF86Config for Trident Cyber series. BTW, I'm using an OEM
version of Mitac 5033 and AMS Roadster series are a variety of Mitac 5033
too.

========== /etc/X11/XF86Config ===================
Section "Files"
    RgbPath     "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"
    FontPath    "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/"
    FontPath    "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/"
    FontPath    "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/"
    FontPath    "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo/"
    FontPath    "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/"
EndSection
#
Section "Keyboard"
    Protocol        "Standard"
    AutoRepeat      500 5
    LeftAlt         Meta
    RightAlt        Meta
    ScrollLock      Compose
    XkbKeycodes     "xfree86"
    XkbTypes        "default"
    XkbCompat       "default"
    XkbSymbols      "us(pc101)"
    XkbGeometry     "pc"
    XkbRules        "xfree86"
    XkbModel        "pc101"
    XkbLayout       "us"
EndSection
#
Section "Pointer"
#    Protocol    "ps/2"
#    Device      "/dev/mouse"
    Protocol           "MouseSystems"
    Device             "/dev/gpmdata"
    Emulate3Buttons
    Emulate3Timeout    50
EndSection
#
Section "Monitor"
    Identifier  "Mitac TFT"
    VendorName  "Mitac"
    ModelName   "12.1in TFT"
    HorizSync   25-88
    VertRefresh 40-160
    Modeline "800x600" 50 800 856 976 1040 600 637 643 666 +hsync +vsync
EndSection
#
Section "Device"
    Identifier  "TG 9660 / Cyber9385"
    VendorName  "Trident"
    BoardName   "Unknown"
    Option      "linear"
    Option      "noaccel"
    Option      "lcd_center"
    Option      "power_saver"
EndSection

# **********************************************************************
# Screen sections
# **********************************************************************
# The Colour SVGA server

Section "Screen"
    Driver      "svga"
    Device      "TG 9660 / Cyber9385"
    Monitor     "Mitac TFT"
    Subsection "Display"
        Depth       16
#       Depth       24
        Modes       "800x600"
        ViewPort    0 0
        Virtual     800 600
    EndSubsection
EndSection

--

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: netgear PCI fast ethernet
Date: 3 Mar 1999 22:25:20 GMT

On 3 Mar 1999 16:16:38 -0500, Vincent Fox <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>In <7bk4go$qi2$[EMAIL PROTECTED]> "ex500" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
>>I was recently shopping for a pair of fast ethernet cards for my apartment.
>>I ran accross netgear's 310tx card. Great card so far as long as your not
>>running redhat. The card came with a driver for SCO and Slackware. I'm new
>>to linux and I need help getting the card to run redhat. I already tried the
>>PCI ne2000 and apparently that card doesn't support ne2000 standards. Any
>>help setting up the card for fast stabile performance in redhat would be
>>appreciated. Thanks
>
>The "tulip" driver seems to be working pretty well so far.
>Pick the Digital 2014 or something like that in install, the
>Netgear 310TX is actually using a Digital chip. I have actually
>had Win9x PNP recognize it this way sometimes. If you go to
>www.baynetwork.com and poke around for drivers, you will find
>that the new driver disk from them has a linux subdir with
>instructions on where to put tulip.c and compile if you want
>to add it to an existing installation.
>
>--
>       "Who needs horror movies when we have Microsoft"?
>        -- Christine Comaford, PC Week, 27/9/95

It's NOT using Digital, it USED to use Digital tulip chipset. Nowadays it uses
a PNIC clone of Tulip and not a good one at that. BTW the driver shipped with
the card is an older version of Donald Becker's tulip.c with changed diagnostics
messages. I used to have the PNIC card and its basically crap, all $27.95 worth
of it. Its extremely unreliable receiving broadcasts and apparently I
am not the only one to notice that.

As much as I dislike Intel I ended up buying IntelEtherExpress Pro+ 10/100B and
can't be any happier.

Good Luck.

Michal

--
Michal Sabala aka Saahbs
 Linux'er since 0.97 :)

http://fly.to/saahbs

------------------------------

From: "Scott W. Kinkele" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: x color depth?
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 1999 22:27:57 GMT

The XSGA server won't run at the 24 bits that you want.  Go to a
commercial X server software.

------------------------------

From: "Scott W. Kinkele" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: X, Diamond Viper
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 1999 22:29:02 GMT

You must use a commercial x server software to get the V550 to work in
anything but 8 bit mode.  If you just want 8 bit mode udate to the
latest Xfree86 software and it will support it.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: ATI video...
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 1999 22:19:07 GMT

Will Linux work with an ATI XPert 98 video card?  E-mail me if you can,

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Eric Ho)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Date: 4 Mar 1999 14:24:09 GMT

It should be "startx -- -bpp 16" or "startx -- -bpp 24" if the
X server for your particular card supports it.

Eric Ho

Kevin White ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: Hi, I have an ATI Rage Pro 3d agp video card with 8MB ram.  I am using
: the Mach64 X server.  It runs good in 1024x768 at 8 bits per pixel (256
: colors), but I would like to get to 16bpp or 32bpp.  I have tried
: "startx --bpp 16" and "startx --bpp 32" but it always runs in 8bpp.  Any
: ideas?  Am I using the right commands for different color depths?

: Thanks in advance,

: Kevin
: --
: Kevin White, Software Engineer