Linux-Hardware Digest #597, Volume #9             Mon, 8 Mar 99 06:13:28 EST

Contents:
  For all you Nicrosoft lovers (childsplay)
  Re: USB mouse: problem ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Can Linux use 36-bit Xeon addressing? (Tomasz Korycki)
  Re: 3rd mouse button?? (Ray Kohler)
  Re: For all you Nicrosoft lovers (Samuel Aw)
  Re: APC Smart UPS under Linux - Setup (Gary Momarison)
  Film Scanners for Linux? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Creative Labs dxr2 (Bill Holder)
  Re: Can Linux use 36-bit Xeon addressing? (Richard Steiner)
  Printing to HP DeskJet 895CXi ??? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  RDI PowerLite 110 ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Can Linux use 36-bit Xeon addressing? (brian moore)
  Regarding SB Live! ("Eugene Lee")
  Re: For all you Nicrosoft lovers ("Tuomo O. Vuolteenaho")
  Re: How to compile Kernel 2.2.2  with redhat 5.2??? (James Gray)
  Re: modutils for 2.2.2 ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Diamond Sonic Impact S90 (xxwuji)
  Power off on American Megatrends (John Darrington)
  Re: linux on Compaq ProLiant 1600 ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: IR w/ OpenLinux 1.3 (Gary Momarison)
  trouble with FirePort40 ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: amd k6/2 3dnow 300mhz (John Linley)
  Re: For all you Nicrosoft lovers (James McBoyle - Sun Ireland - SunSoft ELC
[Student])
  Re: poweroff or even suspend/resume on ASUS P2B Atx mainboard ("hoochi99")
  Opti931 sound card in Kernel 2.2 (Bandyopadhyay Rajarshi Dipak)
  Maxtor 8.4 Gig Drive. (Stephen La Joie)
  Re: USB mouse: problem (Phoenix)

From: childsplay <"childsplay"@planetquake.com (no Spam)>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: For all you Nicrosoft lovers
Date: Sun, 07 Mar 1999 20:13:34 -0600

This is very disturbing

http://www.mercurycenter.com/breaking/docs/041815.htm

--
Charles "childsplay" VanDyke
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: USB mouse: problem
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 1999 06:08:07 GMT

In article <7bp5hn$gvj$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andrea Baldasso) wrote:
> I have just bought SuSE Linux 6.0 and I have the following problem: I have
> a USB mouse which does not work (but the mouse is OK with Windows98).
> Does somebody know what I should do? Are there sites where I can download
> drivers from?

I believe the last Linux kernel does not support USB at all..

Hugo

From: Tomasz Korycki <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Can Linux use 36-bit Xeon addressing?
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 1999 01:22:38 -0500

brian moore wrote:

> And, yes, this means the last holdout from basing their systems on Unix
> concepts is Microsoft.  (Just as C is called a 'portable assembly
> language', Unix is the most portable OS.)

Hmmm.... Two examples just off the top of my head: MVS (S/390 OS) and
OS/400 (need I explain?)

> --
> Brian Moore                       | "The Zen nature of a spammer resembles
>       Sysadmin, C/Perl Hacker     |  a cockroach, except that the cockroach
>       Usenet Vandal               |  is higher up on the evolutionary chain."
>       Netscum, Bane of Elves.                 Peter Olson, Delphi Postmaster

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup,alt.os.linux
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ray Kohler)
Subject: Re: 3rd mouse button??
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 1999 06:13:58 GMT

In article <7bvb4n$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, childsplay <"childsplay"@planetquake.com
(no Spam)> wrote:
>ok kewl, thank you very much, but ummm what do i change it to? i found the line
>in the XF86Config file, but how/what to i change it to? i opend it using emacs,
>now i'm stumped :(
>*i'm a newbie*

Take the # sign off the front of the line.

------------------------------

From: Samuel Aw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: For all you Nicrosoft lovers
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 1999 13:38:05 +0800

Extremely disturbing esp. when I use win98 in the office.. shesh!
and all the while, m$ is spying on win98 users, collect info about us
and F*! I PAID them to do all these shit !  How could they!

------------------------------

From: Gary Momarison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: APC Smart UPS under Linux - Setup
Date: 07 Mar 1999 22:35:37 -0800

> Till Mommsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> : Hello,
>
> : I am trying to install  APC Smart UPS 700 on a Linux system.  I am using the

There a bunch of info on UPSs and UPS SW at

http://www.aa.net/~swear/pedia/ups.html

I hacked dumbupsd as I liked its design (it doesn't use inittab), but
you probably want one of the ones that use the regular RS-232 signaling
lines (2&3) to transfer character data instead using the control lines.
See the file and the HOWTO linked to from there.

--
Look for Linux info at http://www.dejanews.com/home_ps.shtml and in
Gary's Encyclopedia at http://www.aa.net/~swear/pedia/index.html

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Film Scanners for Linux?
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 1999 06:47:57 GMT

I'm thinking about buying a film scanner, so I've spent the last couple of
hours trying to determine which ones have drivers available.

The Nikon Coolscan series seems to have drivers readily available, but these
scanners are over $1500 each-- out of my league.  I was hoping to find drivers
for something like the Olympus ES-10.

Does anyone have any advice for what reasonably priced film scanner has good
driver support under Linux right now?

Thanks in advance for any help.

From: Bill Holder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Creative Labs dxr2
Date: 8 Mar 1999 07:16:00 GMT

Kevin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

        Nope, no problems. The DXR2 doesn't do anything unless it is
accessed by drivers or a program (a feat Linux is still to do)

: Does this MPEG decoder cause problems with the ATI All in Wonder Card
: configuration to set up Xwindows?

: It is the only thing that I can think of why my monitor goes black
: after typing startx
: (see ATI All IN WONDER thread....)

: HELP!!

: Kevin.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Richard Steiner)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 1999 01:05:07 -0600

Here in comp.os.linux.misc, Tomasz Korycki <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
spake unto us, saying:

>brian moore wrote:
>>
>> And, yes, this means the last holdout from basing their systems on Unix
>> concepts is Microsoft.  (Just as C is called a 'portable assembly
>> language', Unix is the most portable OS.)
>
>Hmmm.... Two examples just off the top of my head: MVS (S/390 OS) and
>OS/400 (need I explain?)

There are several high-end server operating systems still in current
use which predate Unix and are not based on it in any way.

The operating systems used on Unisys mainframes (OS2200 on the ex-Sperry
side, and whatever it is that the ex-Burroughs A-Series boxes use) are
two more examples.  Both are heavily used in certain markets.

--
   -Rich Steiner  >>>--->  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  >>>---> Bloomington, MN
    OS/2 + Linux (Slackware+RedHat+SuSE) + FreeBSD + Solaris + BeOS +

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Printing to HP DeskJet 895CXi ???
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 1999 07:09:08 GMT

Going to CompUSA with the intention of buying a printer compatable with Linux,
I made the mistake of buying the hype instead, and picking up a HP deskjet
895CXi, I have searched every news archive, and printing link I could find to
get some info on how to print using it on Linux, specifically Red Hat 5.2 but
had no luck.

Can anyone please tell me if there is any driver update Ghost Script update or
just plain old hack I can use to be able to print using the 895CXi???

I would GREATLY appreciate any help on this matter short of returning the
printer paying a 15% restocking fee, and getting something that is supported.

Thank you in advance.
Cameron

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RDI PowerLite 110
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 1999 00:08:07 GMT

I just inherited a RDI PowerLite 110 Laptop with a Sparc processor.  I would
like to install  RedHat 5.x on it, but I'm not sure if evrything is supported.
I received no documentation with the machine.  Anybody installed Linux on one
of these before?  This one currently has Solaris 2.6 on it, but I would prefer
RedHat.

  Any hints,info, tips, or comments (relating to this hardware) would be most
welcomed.  I've never seen one of these things before, but I think it could be
very useful once I get it set up right.

Thanks,

Dave

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (brian moore)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc
Date: 8 Mar 1999 07:45:23 GMT

On Mon, 08 Mar 1999 01:22:38 -0500,
 Tomasz Korycki <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > And, yes, this means the last holdout from basing their systems on Unix
> > concepts is Microsoft.  (Just as C is called a 'portable assembly
> > language', Unix is the most portable OS.)
>
> Hmmm.... Two examples just off the top of my head: MVS (S/390 OS) and
> OS/400 (need I explain?)

Which of those is made by a company that doesn't ship Unix?  They both
seem to be made by IBM, which has played in the Unix biz for years and
has shown no signs of disinterest.

(As for the AS/400, rumor is that there is an internal Linux port that
folks at IBM have been playing with for grins.  Now if I could just get
my boss to let me have the old D-box ....)

MS has precisely zero Unix offerings.  They most likely never will
(despite "why can't microsoft make MS-Linux" threads) thanks to their
agreement with SCO to stay out of the Unix market.  (SCO was smart when
they bought off Xenix on that point.)

From: "Eugene Lee" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Regarding SB Live!
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 1999 07:45:53 GMT

  First of all, I thank all the people who helped me with the 3c509 issue.
But since I'm an idiot! here is some more...

  I own a SB Live! card, and yes, I heard that it is not supported. But
isn't there a way to make it beep? For an example using SB 16 setting...

  I'm using RedHat 5.2, KDE 1.1 thanx

  Eugene Lee

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.networking
From: "Tuomo O. Vuolteenaho" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 1999 08:19:21 GMT

What you need here is one good class-action lawyer.

------------------------------

From: James Gray <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: aus.computers.linux,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: How to compile Kernel 2.2.2  with redhat 5.2???
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 1999 08:28:17 +0000

Dear Aaron,

> I cannot get the 2.2.2 kernel to work correctly under RedHat 5.2.

You must have missed something :-)

> Is there an updated version of the kernel how-to that focuses primarily on
> redhat5.2 and the latest kernel build?

Fortunately, YES! Check out:

http://charlotte.redhat.com/support/docs/rhl/kernel-2.2/kernel2.2-upgrade.html

I READ IT FIRST, then READ IT AGAIN, and just to make sure TOOK NOTES,
then did my first kernel compile ever.....it, the kernel, works but
there is a few bugs with sound, yet to try the second 2.2.2 kernel I
compiled.  Good luck :-)

Cheers,

James

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: modutils for 2.2.2
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux
Date: 8 Mar 1999 10:24:05 +0100

In comp.os.linux.misc yhauser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I've installed kernel 2.2.2 successfully just for module support (marked
> ENABLE LOADABLE MODULE SUPPORT and KERNEL MODULE LOADER). My modutils
> are 2.1.85 - they run with my old kernel 2.0.33, but they fail with
> 2.2.2.
> Can anybody give me a hint?! yves
Yes.
You need modutils 2.1.121.

--
Alain Borel
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (xxwuji)
Subject: Diamond Sonic Impact S90
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 1999 09:26:22 GMT

Anybody has luck on this sound card under redhat 5.2?
Any Input welcomed!!

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Darrington)
Subject: Power off on American Megatrends
Date: 8 Mar 1999 05:20:35 GMT

Do the latest kernels support power off for non laptop devices?

2.0.36 just crashes when it gets that far in the shutdown .

I want my machine to turn itself off, when I forget to
do it at bedtime.  But if it only shutds down and doesn't
power offa, then it doesn't help really.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: linux on Compaq ProLiant 1600
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 1999 09:21:06 GMT

Hi

Can u specify on which controller are u trying to install. It is not at all
difficult to install on embedded controller.

Regards

From: Gary Momarison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.portable
Subject: Re: IR w/ OpenLinux 1.3
Date: 07 Mar 1999 22:45:16 -0800

Rusty Lingenfelter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I have done some searching and can't find anything on using a notebooks
> IR port w/ Linux. I am looking for HSIR or IRDA support. Thanks.

Look in http://www.aa.net/~swear/pedia/portables.html

There's a "Infrared" section.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: trouble with FirePort40
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 1999 09:28:09 GMT

hi,
I've a trouble with my FirePort40, under Suse 6.0 kernel 2.0.36
my box see this card nicely with my HP DAT but can't find my SCSI CD writer &
reader.
I use the NCR53C80.
ideas or comments

regards

From: John Linley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: amd k6/2 3dnow 300mhz
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 1999 02:38:03 -0700

I had the same problem and solved it by booting from a windows/dos boot disk,
then installing from the cdrom as usual.

I have been told by several sources that there are early k6/2 that will not boot
linux. This
problem was fixed some time ago, and is fairly well documented, so you should
check your chip.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (James McBoyle - Sun Ireland - SunSoft ELC
[Student])
Date: 8 Mar 1999 09:45:02 GMT

In article [EMAIL PROTECTED], childsplay <"childsplay"@planetquake.com (no Spam)>
writes:
>This is very disturbing
>
>http://www.mercurycenter.com/breaking/docs/041815.htm

And people always wondered why I always used an RPG character's info when installing
any Dimblows OS . . . :-)

---
Have Fun,
Jim.
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (no, not this one<grin>)

------------------------------

From: "hoochi99" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: poweroff or even suspend/resume on ASUS P2B Atx mainboard
Date: Sun, 7 Mar 1999 14:39:52 -0700

I think it goes something like this:

    For the poweroff, edit your  ' /etc/rc.d/init.d/halt '   file and where
is says something like   ' command="halt" ' , change this to '
command="halt -p" '.

    After that try the '/sbin/shutdown -h now' command to see if that did
the trick.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bandyopadhyay Rajarshi Dipak)
Subject: Opti931 sound card in Kernel 2.2
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 1999 07:19:15 GMT

Hi

Opti931 sound card is supported by 2.2, so say the kernel docs.( They have
devoted a readme file for it!)
I compiled the kernel 2.2.1 but it didnt work. If anyone has got it working
please guide me. Right now I use it with 2.0.36 and OSS sound drivers
Got the fundaes from David Rees' HOWTO.

However I have heard that 2.2 really makes this card Rock!! So I need to try
it out.

TIA,
Raj

------------------------------

From: Stephen La Joie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Maxtor 8.4 Gig Drive.
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 1999 15:14:29 GMT

I got this Maxtor 8.4 gig drive so I could run linux and Win95 from the
same disk.
I've done this before.

The Maxtor drive came with floppy to partition the drive. I could not
use the
Dos fdisk to partition the drive. I created dos partitions using the
program
on the Maxtor floppy disk. I figured I could delete two of the dos
partitions
to make room for my linux partitions. The Maxtor program installed this
EZ-Drive, which plays silly numbers games with the sectors, heads, and
cylinders.

Okay, so the Linux fdisk can't read the partitions. It see the small
boot
partion I made for windows (the first 150 Megs) but the 2nd, 3rd, 4th
and 5th partitions are all one big partition that happens after that.

I read the Large Disk Mini HOWTO. Like most other Linux Howtos,
it doesn't say squat about "how to", but I am now fully informed as to
what's
going on and can almost write my own replacement for the BIOS  int 13
for Win 95 and fdisk program. What the HOWTO seems to say, is that
the Linux fdisk is suppose to be able to figure out that EZ-drive is
installed,
and that I have no problem.

I'm using the Red Hat 5.0 distribution from Cheap Bytes. (I bought the
Red Hat 4.2 distribution from Red Hat, but needed an updated video
driver that was found in Red Hat 5.0.)

So, can anyone tell me "how to" partition my Maxtor 8.4 gig drive
so I can boot with LILO to get half Windows 95, and Half Linux?
I'm almost tempted to make the whole Maxtor drive Linux, and put
my old hard disk back in. But I promised my old hard disk to my
son as an upgrade. We have plenty of disk space on the network,
but he finds the network too slow. (10BaseT). I may upgrade the
network to 100BaseTX in late spring.

--
Chill out. It's just my opinion,
even if it IS true.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 07 Mar 1999 22:38:02 -0600
From: Phoenix <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Andrea Baldasso wrote:

> I have just bought SuSE Linux 6.0 and I have the following problem: I have
> a USB mouse which does not work (but the mouse is OK with Windows98).
> Does somebody know what I should do? Are there sites where I can download
> drivers from?
> Thank you!

there is only experimental (but mostly working) support for USB under
linux at this time.
more info can be found at
http://peloncho.fis.ucm.es/~inaky/uusbd-www/index.html

there is also an incomplete list of hardware known to work at
http://peloncho.fis.ucm.es/~inaky/uusbd-www/hardware.html