Linux-Hardware Digest #620, Volume #9            Wed, 10 Mar 99 13:13:50 EST

Contents:
  Re: Linux on Mips Wince hardware? (Markus Kohler)
  linux scsi pcmcia card ("aZZa amarela")
  Re: Speed..Speed..Speed ("Richard Payne")
  Does anyone have a Socket 8 (PPro-200/256) heatsink? (Gordon Haverland)
  Re: Can Linux use 36-bit Xeon addressing? (Gianni Mariani)
  Re: Spontaneous machine reboot on kernel load (dlpearce)
  Re: Speed..Speed..Speed (John Burton)
  Linux on a Celeron? ("Charles D. Balazs, Jr.")
  Re: AMD K6-2 vs. K6-III ("Jakub Chmielewski")
  Re: Pentium III compatible (John Burton)
  Re: Linux Prosignia 486 and SCSI setup problem (Jim Henderson)
  Re: Pentium III Boycott and survey info (normski_r)
  Re: Compaq Prosignia - SCSI Controller (Jim Henderson)
  HP 1100se and linux help ("jonathan")
  Re: Canon BJC 6000 ("Randall L. Selzler")
  Support site now available ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Cheapest PS printer or althernative printing option ? (Rod Smith)
  Re: Can Linux use 36-bit Xeon addressing? (Stuart R. Fuller)
  Re: Installing ATI 3D Rage LT Pro AGP 2X with XFree (RonaldKriemann)
  Re: Celeron and SMP ? (BL)
  Re: Linux on a Celeron? (BL)
  Re: Linux Compatibility with Dell Laptops ("Randall L. Selzler")

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Re: Linux on Mips Wince hardware?
From: Markus Kohler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 10 Mar 1999 13:47:13 +0100

    Dirk-Jan> Hi there, Bill Broadley wrote in message
    Dirk-Jan> <7bl5bq$3i$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
    >> I was comparing the new compaq and the new palm pilot:
    >>
    >> Compaq aero 2100 palm V Ram MB 8/16 (24 max) 2 resolution
    >> 320x240 color 160x160 Size 5.27x3.34x.78 in 4.5" x 3.1" x 0.4"
    >> Cpu 70 Mhz mips 16 Mhz 68k Audio record/playback none expansion
    >> compact flash none Battery life 10 hours max [1] 20-30 ish real
    >> [2] Alarms led, chirp, vibrate beep backlight 2 levels on/off
    >> Misc.  One handed scrolling (dial)
    >>
    >> [1] from compaq specs [2] from usenet posts

Casio E-100: 120 Mhz mips CPU ! Plays  Mpeg videos !
HP Jornada : 100 Mhz SH3 CPU. Not bad too.

    >> Pretty amazing difference, 4-12 times the ram, 3 times the
    >> pixels, color, vibrate alarms, compact flash support etc.
    >>
    >> Seems like it would be easier with 16-24 mb ram+compact flash
    >> that it would be alot easier/direct then squeezing it into a 8
    >> mb ram, no compact flash pilot.
    >>
    >> Anyone know of a project to get linux working on one of these
    >> things?

Difficult because you want get the specs of these machines.
But it would be very cool anyway.

    Dirk-Jan> I have this plan of doing intellisync stuff between
    Dirk-Jan> WinCE <--> Linux, but it's on hold because of lack of
    Dirk-Jan> time and specs..... Linux is a nice Unix like OS, but it
    Dirk-Jan> won't be too useful on a PDA without some funky tools
    Dirk-Jan> for handwriting recogn etc.

That's not the biggest problem. You can implement a software keyboard on
screen easily.
Also I have some experience in writing handwriting recognition software.
Building something like Graffiti is not THAT diffcult. In fact it's very old
technology. It's MUCH more difficult to write a handwriting recognition software
that understands aribtrary cursive scripts.

    Dirk-Jan> OTOH, usefulness may be less important than hack value,
    Dirk-Jan> so good luck!

Good luck,

Markus

--
Markus Kohler  mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "aZZa amarela" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: linux scsi pcmcia card
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 12:28:19 -0000

hello all

what do you think is the best scsi pcmcia card to use with linux ?

TIA
azza amarela

------------------------------

From: "Richard Payne" <payner at timken dot com>
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.fortran
Subject: Re: Speed..Speed..Speed
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 10:46:22 -0500

>If you intend to develope and run this software under LINUX then why are
>you even looking at a Intel chip.    Simply put NONE of the Intel chips are
>floating point standouts.     If your seriously considering chips in the
>XEON line, then a Alpha is not out of the price range, nor would a PowerPC
>based machine.     You might even be able to find a SPARC in this price
>range.     Start looking for Alpha powered units from Microway, ASPEN or
>DCG to name just a few.
>
>The nice thing about a totally open system like Linux is the freedom to
>choose the hardware of you choice.

Agreed. If you are looking for Alpha vendors we have a list of them
available,
including those that do/do not support Linux.

http://www.alphalinux.org/hardware/vendors.shtml

--
Rich Payne
(Speaking for myself, not my employer)

Looking for Alpha-Linux info?
http://www.alphalinux.org

------------------------------

From: Gordon Haverland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Does anyone have a Socket 8 (PPro-200/256) heatsink?
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 07:48:10 -0700

Hi!
  I managed to find a second CPU with the same stepping
as my original PPro-200/256, but it came without a
heatsink.  Does anyone have a spare heatsink?  I want
to play SMP.

Gordon Haverland
haverlan @ agric.gov.ab.ca

------------------------------

From: Gianni Mariani <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Can Linux use 36-bit Xeon addressing?
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 15:48:45 GMT

Johan Kullstam wrote:

> Gianni Mariani <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > Johan Kullstam wrote:

> > > MS do take unix seriously.
> >
> > OK - how ?
>
> they made NT.  are you really insisting that MS completely ignores
> unix?  MS usually has a more paranoid response to even the most
> instubstatial of threats, cf., the browser war.

I suppose there is an IE port to Solaris !  Not "completly ignores".  It certainly
does not care as much as you seem to think it does.

> > > MS are committed to `windows everywhere'.
> > > that means, no other operating systems, e.g., unix.  MS wouldn't even
> > > have to say `windows everywhere' is there goal if there were *no*
> > > competition.
> >
> > NO, Windows everywhere is the way they see they will make the most
> > cash.  Their committed to their shareholders, employees and customers.
> > That seems to best translate to Windows unless you have a better idea.
>
> and if i am using unix and not windows, that is a lost sale.  MS
> doesn't give a rat's ass about it's shareholders.

Oh really, most of it's employees are heavily invested shareholders (or options
holders).  Basically you're saying they don't care about themselves. Very
interesting.

> MS wants to put
> windows everywhere and control the computer market.  share prices are
> just along for the ride.

As I said, Windows everywhere seems to be the best way to make cash.
To that end we seem to agree that MS wants windows everywhere.

> you tell them to go screw since they are minority stake holders.  :-0

who should go do what ?

> > > why would they do that?  every linux install is a rejection of
> > > windows.
> >
> > Circular logic ...
>
> how is this circular?

Yer logic is this: "MS wants Windows everywhere so MS wants Windows
eveywhere - QED". That's about as minimally circular as you can get !

> > > this is going off on a strange tangent...
> >
> > Why ?
>
> because it is so far fetched.

You prove to MS that they can sustain the buisness with Unix and you're
it won't be so far fetched.

> > > why?  i really *do* want MS to *get* *lost*.
> >
> > There are currently 400 billion reasons why they won't get lost in a
> > hurry.
>
> that doesn't change my opinion.  i really *do* want MS to *get*
> *lost*.  it doesn't mean they will, however.

OK so we agree that they won't get lost.

> > Live with it !
>
> no, i will fight to use the tools which suit me.

Good luck !

------------------------------

From: dlpearce <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Spontaneous machine reboot on kernel load
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 10:17:39 -0500

David Pearce wrote:

> The spontaneous reboot occurs as soon as the kernel finishes
> decompressing (as soon as it starts), with no readable message. It
> instantly resets the entire machine, all the way to the memory check.
>
> The system:
>
> Chips and Tech. VGA card (also tried RealTek cheapie, no change)
> 20MB of RAM (also pulled that out and installed 8MB only)
> 486DLC processor (supported in MB BIOS - Acer BIOS) + Cx87DLC CoPro
> Acer M1419 based motherboard
> Winbond IO card (verified working in another machine)
>
> I have tried disabling all cache, and switching all bios settings to the
> minimum, to no avail. I have a sinking feeling its the fault of the
> M1419 chipset, but if someone could reaffirm or perhaps give a
> workaround, I'd appreciate it. I have an eeprom burner/eraser, so if you
> know of an update to the BIOS, I'd be happy to accept.... the parts were
> free so if I could get the thing running, I'd be very happy.

Strange enough, I thought perhaps it was some sort of kernel enhancement
that was causing the problem, so I decided to dig up my old 4.1 RedHat Cd (I
was attempting boot with 5.2 before). Its kernel booted perfectly and the
machine is up and running. Now I have to dig through the archives and find
out how to get the Cabletron e21 working properly, then I will attempt to
compile the newer kernel in the hopes of removing the bug that caused my
problem in 5.2.

David

------------------------------

From: John Burton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.fortran
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 13:52:11 GMT

"Jos=E9 Rui Faustino de Sousa" wrote:
> =

> Jim Moser wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
> >which
> >will require scads of floating point
> >calculations
> =

> Rule of thumb need floating point use intel... BUT if you have money en=
ough (and
> if you are considering dual Xeon  2MB you have) take a look at alpha th=
e new
> processor 21264 is really the best money can buy... And if you run linu=
x you can
> save a bunvle in software...

"Rule of thumb need floating point use Intel" ???? I've always heard
just the opposite...need floating point, DON'T use Intel...

Anyone have any Benchmarks on the 21264 ? Price / Mflop ?

> =

> Anyway if you need lots of IO get a SCSI subsystem maybe RAID level zer=
o for
> even faster performance (see DPT they have very nice caching controlers=
)
> =

Aggree with the SCSI, Have had trouble with DPT 2044UW controller &
Linux... Seems at maximum transfer rate (20Mhz) I get rnadom SCSI Bus
errors and occasional lock ups...the two drivers (EATA & EATA-DMA) under
kernel 2.0.36 have *different* errors, but *neither* work without errors
at full transfer rates...and yes, I have checked cables, devices,
terminations, etc. I've swapped the card with an Adaptec 2940UW and
didn't have any problems. I swapped the individual drives with new
drives, and got the errors on the new drives. I've tried several cables,
including those sold by Adaptec that were designed to work for maximum
transfer rates on an UW bus...only consitent thing was DPT controller +
20Mhz SCSI Xfer rate =3D SCSI Bus errors (timeouts, device busy, etc...)

> >So I'm looking at the new high end processors..PII/PIII and discover
> >this PII Xeon chip.
> >
> =

> PIII does not pay... Yet maybe with the new chipsets at 133Mhz FSB and =
faster
> clock speeds... The new intructions will take _too_ long to be implemen=
ted by
> compiler makers...
> =

True, the P-III does not have any new features that will cause any
preformance increase, but the manufacturers I looked at are selling
systems with them that are pricewise the same as a PII at the same
speed... (i.e. a P-II 400 system is about $300 more than a P-II 350, and
a P-III 450 is $300 more than a P-II 400, and a P-III 500 is $300 more
than a P-III 450...) so it seems they are being priced as high speed
P-II systems...

> =

> >As far as I can see.. the main difference is the L2 cache speed. Has
> >anybody seen any benchmarks
> =

> And floating point, wich is very important to you...

Ummm...where did you get your info? I haven't been able to find *any*
benchmarks that say a 400 Mhz Xeon is any better at Floating point
operations than a 400Mhz P-II... In fact they have the *same* core (FPU
included) and the primary difference between the Xeon and the P-II (and
P-III) is that the L2 cache on the Xeon runs at *cpu* speed, where the
L2 cace on the other run at 1/2 cpu speed... so, data access is somewhat
faster, but the floating point operations is not significantly
different...

> =

> See http://www.tomshardware.com/ they have a lot of benchmarks there...=

> =

Also take a look at the Spec homepage (http://www.spec.org) for
comparisons with *lots* of systems...

John

-- =

John Burton, Ph.D.
Senior Associate                 GATS, Inc.  =

[EMAIL PROTECTED]          11864 Canon Blvd - Suite 101
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (personal)          Newport News, VA 23606
(757) 873-5920 (voice)           (757) 873-5920 (fax)

------------------------------

From: "Charles D. Balazs, Jr." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linux on a Celeron?
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 08:43:35 -0500

Has anyone ever heard of or experienced problems running Linux on a
Celeron machine?  This would be a Celeron 366...
--
     Charles D. Balazs, Jr.
   Network Systems Engineer I

------------------------------

From: "Jakub Chmielewski" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: AMD K6-2 vs. K6-III
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 13:59:14 GMT

David Ripton napisał(a) w wiadomości: ...

>I did an MP3-encoding comparison with a friend under Linux, my P2 vs.
>his K6-2.  The P2 was significantly faster per MHz, presumably due to
>L2 cache speed.

It was due to significantly slower FPU unit in K6-2, I suppose. Not the
cache.

Jakub Chmielewski

------------------------------

From: John Burton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Pentium III compatible
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 14:03:20 GMT

Allen wrote:

>         Right now, Pentium III's are just a cocaine placebo for folks with penis
> envy, and too much money.  You will spend MUCH less, and get the same, or better
> performance with even a dual Celeron system, or if you have that much extra
> cash, go with a dual P2?

Ummm...beg to differ...the companies I've looked at so far are selling
P-IIIs at the same price as fast P-IIs... i.e. P-II 400 system is $300
more than a P-II 350 system. a P-III 450 system is $300 more than a P-II
400 system, a P-III 500 system is $300 more than a P-III 450...

Looks like you're paying $300 for each 50Mhz, regardless of P-II or
P-III or going between the two... This is appropriate since the P-III
offers nothing new (save 80 SIMD instructions) and is essentially a
faster P-III

John

From: Jim Henderson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux Prosignia 486 and SCSI setup problem
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 1999 11:22:06 -0700

Just in case my previous post doesn't make it through...

The 4/66 Prosignia and the Prosignia VS use an EISA version of the NCR
chipset.  The Linux driver for this chipset only supports the PCI
version of the controller.

Someone needs to write a driver; myself, I just bought a new computer to
run Linux on. :-)

Jim
--
Jim Henderson
Novell Support Connection SysOp - http://support.novell.com/forums

Homepage at http://www.bigfoot.com/~jhenderson (email instructions
located here)

Please note that as an NSC SysOp, I do not provide support for Novell
products on a personal basis - if you need help with a Novell product,
please post a reply in the public newsgroup or visit the Novell support
forums at the URL above.

------------------------------

From: normski_r <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Pentium III Boycott and survey info
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 14:08:44 +0000

Tom Emerson wrote:

> The solution, then, is incredibly simple -- at least, at the first level.
>
> <...>

And the ordinary user is supposed to be able to do all that!?  Get a grip on
reality.

Normski.

------------------------------

From: Jim Henderson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Compaq Prosignia - SCSI Controller
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 1999 11:20:57 -0700

I had the same problem on a Prosignia VS - the problem is that the NCR
chipset supported by the Linux driver is the PCI version of the driver -
the Prosignia 4/66 and VS have the EISA version of this chipset, which
the driver doesn't support.

AFAIK, until someone writes a driver for the EISA chipset, you won't get
it to work...

Jim

From: "jonathan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: HP 1100se and linux help
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 07:14:22 -0500

I am trying to put an HP LaserJet 1100se and HP DeskJet 682c on a Linux
machine(SuSE 6.0 and kernel 2.2.2) but I need some help with the printcap or
a filter.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanx

------------------------------

From: "Randall L. Selzler" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Canon BJC 6000
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 08:47:11 -0600

Rainer Koster wrote:

> Does anyone know whether the Canon BJC 6000 can be run with
> ghostscript? The printer seems to be too new to find information in
> compatibility lists.
>
> Thanks
>         Rainer Koster

> Rainer Koster
> Dept. of Computer Science, University of Kaiserslautern

I just found Grant Taylor's printer compatibility list...  very informative !

http://gatekeeper.picante.com/~gtaylor/pht/printer_list.cgi

The 6000 isn't listed yet...   :^(

Hopefully someone (one) will post results when you get some info.

Randy

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Support site now available
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 17:02:54 GMT

New Unix/Linux Helpdesk/Information & Developer Resource website.

http://www.smallproductions.com is currently being built, with *free*
helpdesk support for Linux based systems. We are adding many new
additions daily and look forward to excelling the linux and unix
community into the mainstream.

If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to check
out our site. Look forward to seeing you.

staff

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rod Smith)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.setup,linux.redhat.install,linux.redhat,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Re: Cheapest PS printer or althernative printing option ?
Date: 10 Mar 1999 17:41:46 GMT

[Posted and mailed]

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        "David J. Lee" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Hi,
>
> someone probably ask this question before, but please bear with
> me:
>
> What is the cheapest postscript printer Linux would support and
> where can I get it cheap??

First, you may not need PostScript (see below). Second, the absolute
cheapest you could get would probably be something on the used or
reconditioned market. For new stuff, I know that Lexmark's Optra E+ has a
PostScript option -- you'd need to buy the printer AND the PostScript
add-on. I've not used it, so I can't say how good it is. I don't know if
any of their current models do, but Okidata used to have PostScript
options for some of their mid-range printers, too. Oh, and Lexmark's got a
new color inkjet with built-in PostScript at a pretty low cost, IIRC.
(Most of these are probably PostScript clones, BTW.)

> If I just want to print simple text (using inexpensive laser
> printer), do I need driver for each manufacturer??

For raw text, you just need a printer that'll ACCEPT raw text. Most
non-WinPrinters will do this fine, but be sure you're not getting
something that's crippled and won't work except from Windows. Some of the
cheapest printers are lobotomized and useless except under Windows.

Most laser printers that fall at above the lobotomy level but below the
PostScript level use some version of the PCL language. PCL is supported by
Ghostscript, which converts PostScript into a variety of other formats.
Ghostscript comes with all self-respecting Linux distributions, though you
can usually find an updated version elsewhere. Anyhow, if you configure
your printer queue properly, you can send a PostScript file to a printer
queue and have it print correctly on a PCL printer, since the queue will
filter it through Ghostscript. Details on configuring your printer are
easy to complex, depending upon which distribution you're using, so check
your documentation.

--
Rod Smith
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stuart R. Fuller)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 17:00:03 GMT

Tomasz Korycki ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: "Stuart R. Fuller" wrote:
: >
: > brian moore ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: > : >
: > : > Yes. And Your point, as related to "the last holdout from basing their
: > : > systems on Unix concepts is Microsoft" bit? Mind You, if You look deep
: > : > enough into NT architecture, You'll see.... VMS!
: > :
: > : VMS is based on Unix?
: > :
: > : Very interesting news indeed.
: >
: > It might be interesting, but it is certainly wrong news.  If you read the
: > paragraph above, it implies that the NT architecture is based on VMS.
: >
: >         Stu
:
: It is. Just look who the main architect was and who he brought with him
: to create NT.

I'm not disputing the fact that NT looks a lot like VMS.  I was disputing the
"VMS is based on Unix?" comment.

And, Cutler was involved in VMS, but he was not *THE* main architect.

        Stu

------------------------------

From: RonaldKriemann<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Installing ATI 3D Rage LT Pro AGP 2X with XFree
Date: 10 Mar 1999 18:25:01 +0100

Henrik Carlqvist <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Martin Boyer wrote:
> > Unfortunately, he can't find the proper XFree driver for it.  I'd
> > appreciate any info on this.
> > ATI 3D Rage LT Pro AGP 2X
> I would guess on the Mach 64 driver. Did he try to run SuperProbe?

The Rage LT Pro is not supported by Xfree. Take a look at

http://www.eecs.umich.edu/~steveh/inspiron/

for possible solutions.

> regards Henrik

RGDS
  Ronald

--
       Indifference will certainly be the downfall of mankind,
                           but who cares ?

------------------------------

From: BL <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Celeron and SMP ?
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 14:56:14 GMT

never used dual p2 units but my dual celeron (hardware hacked) runs fine and
very stable.

for the price, it can't be beat.

Ulrich Leodolter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

: Will Intel Celeron CPU's work on dual PII Motherboards ?
: What about the performance compared to PII CPU's ?

: --
: o------------------------------------------------o
:  Ulrich Leodolter
:  University of Vienna, Institute of Psychology
:  Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
: o------------------------------------------------o

------------------------------

From: BL <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux on a Celeron?
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 14:55:37 GMT

no problems at all.

even two celerons are ok - if you do the hardware mod.  I'm running dual cel.
(smp) and have been for a few weeks now.  almost a 2x increase.

From: "Randall L. Selzler" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux Compatibility with Dell Laptops
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 09:03:00 -0600

Matthew Denny wrote:

> I'm looking at pruchasing a Dell Laptop, and I was wondering if anyone has
> any info. on Linux (Specifically RH 5.x) compatibility with
>
> Dell Inspirion 7000 (particularly thoses with the DVDs)
> 3Com MegaHertz 3CCFEM656 Combo Ethernet 10/100 + V.90 Modem card
> Xircom RealPort or CreditCard Combo Ethernet 10/100 + V.90 Modem card
>
> None of these items are on the HCL, but I was wondering if anyone had any
> success in getting them to work on their own.  Any help would be greatly
> appreciated.
>
> thanks,
> Matt Denny

see Lilla's web page... its excellent.