From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (James McBoyle - Sun Ireland - SunSoft ELC
[Student])
Subject: Re: No hassle sound card for Redhat
Date: 16 Mar 1999 09:42:18 GMT

In article ln@localhost, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stuart R. Fuller) writes:
>I have an old Pro Audio Spectrum 16 (PAS16) in my system that I have not been
>able to get to run.  So, I want to get a new sound card.
>
>I don't have  many requirements for the sound card, since I don't play any
>games on the machine.  Just something to make some noise every once in a
>while, like while using TiK (AIM client in Tcl/Tk).
>
>However, one of the requirements that I have is that the card just plug in,
>configure the kernel appropriately, compile, load and boot.  That is, I don't
>want to fiddle with PnP sound cards, and I'm out of PCI slots, so it has to be
>ISA.  Any recommendations?
>
>On the other hand, if you know how to configure the PAS16 to run with the
>2.0.36 kernel on Redhat 5.1, I'll be happy to listen to recommendations.

Have you tried using the OSS (Open Sound System) utility from 4Front
Technologies? (http://www.4front-tech.com) It sits in the background and
handles any sound calls instead of the kernel having to do so. It supports
the PAS16, although they do say you can't have more than one in your system,
and I'm sure the 20 US dollar registration would be cheaper than getting a new
sound card :-) Before you ask, no I don't work for them, but am a very happy
customer of theirs (happy because I _really_ don't want to recompile a very
nicely working kernel<g>) The OSS is shareware, so you can even try it to see
if it fits your system before having to shell out any cash (works for 20
minutes before needing re-initialisation ( ./soundoff then ./soundon )

Anyway, I hope this helps.

Have Fun
Jim
--
James McBoyle
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

...the Goddess could not spend all Her time persuading the Kings and Queens of
the world of the idiocy of war. Therefore She invented tacticians...
(Diane Duane, The Door into Shadow)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Eric Lee Green)
Subject: Re: installing RedHat 5.2 on big (10GB) drive
Date: 16 Mar 1999 01:43:19 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, William D. Leara wrote:
>The RedHat 5.2 install doesn't seem to be able to recognize drives larger
>than 8.4GB.  I ran Partition Magic from DOS and setup Linux ext2 and
>Linux swap partitions.  After I boot to the RedHat 5.2 disks, RedHat
>install sees the ext2 partition size as "-1500MB" when it should be
>1500MB.  Any hints?

Look in your BIOS for the cyl,head,sector info. Then pass it to the kernel
on the syslinux or LILO boot line.

For example, for a 8.4gb IBM IDE to install off the Red Hat install disk, I
type:

  linux hda=1027,255,63

and voila! when it boots up, Linux sees it the proper size and everything!

--
Eric Lee Green         [EMAIL PROTECTED]     http://www.linux-hw.com/~eric
"People have grown used to thinking of computers as unreliable, and it

------------------------------

From: "Andrew Roberts" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ATI Xpert under Linux only does 640 x 480 ?!?!
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 10:17:23 -0000

I have installed Redhat Linux 5.2 And everything is (appears :-)  ) to be
working fine exvcept my graphics card under X-Windows

It is an ATI Xpert@Play PCI 4MB and even when I select Xpert@Play from the
list of cards on installation (and select my Samsung SyncMaster 3Ne from the
list) I have to manually choose screen modes and do select all relevent
ones.  However the system will only boot into 640x480 no matter what.  It
tells me there is no setting info for 1024x768 and 800x600 or something.
Does anyone know how to install this card under said version of Linux.  As
it is a popular card I would have thought this was a common problem.  Any
help would be appreciated.  I don't mind reinstalling the whole of Linux as
it only take s afew minutes.

An email reply would be appreciated if possible, and in case you need to
know the full machine spec is:

K6 300 on a Tekram board with 512K cache
64Mb SDRAM
3.5Gb IDE UDMA Drive (450Mb partition for Linux and 50Mb partition for swap)
Internal 24x CD-Rom
Internal IDE Zip drive
ISA Soundblaster AWE 64 (Haven't a clue where to start on that but not
bothered about sound anyway :-)  )
ISA Rockwell Chipset v90 modem
Realtek network card

------------------------------

From: o r c @ p e l l . p o r t l a n d . o r . u s  (david parsons)
Subject: Re: Linux with > 64MB RAM??
Date: 16 Mar 1999 01:05:59 -0800

In article
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Eric Lee Green <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>On Sun, 28 Feb 1999 20:21:32 GMT, User <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem.
>>I was running Linux with 32MB of EDO ram (4*8MB Simms)
>>with no problem.  Then I bought 2*32MB Simms and
>>put those along with two of my 8MB simms in for a total
>>of 80MB RAM.  However, Linux seems to recognize only
>>64MB.
>
>Upgrade to version 2.0.36 of the Linux kernel. It will properly recognize
>your memory and fixes various important bugs.

   It *may* properly recognise your memory, and it may not.  Alas, since
   the time I wrote the enhanced memory detection patch in 2.0.3+ (for
   1.2.13) the preferred method of getting memory size changed to Yet
   Another bios call, and the e801 call has been obsoleted on many
   motherboards.

   A newer enhanced memory detection, which I'll be sending off to Alan
   Cox and Linus later this week (in my copious free time.  Ho ho.) tries
   bios call e820 as well as e801 and 88.  Brave people can grab the
   patches from http://www.pell.chi.il.us/~orc/Memory now, though.

                 ____
   david parsons \bi/ e820 returns a spiffy memory map, which Linux doesn't
                  \/                                             care about.

------------------------------

From: Willow <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: home lan/server advice
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 09:30:49 +0000

In thinking about possible upgrades to my home computer, I've come to
the decision that I want to build a second computer. I will use one as a
workstation (which will dualboot win95, I'll need it for school ): and
one as a server. The server will be responsible for: IP Masquerading for
the workstation over my DSL line, Low volume web hosting, Mail
Serving (which would include NFS mounting /var/spool on the
workstation), and running an Xserver for the workstation. Right now,
I have the following:

Intel P233/MMX, 96 Mb EDO RAM, 4.5 Gb UltraWide SCSI Hard drive, SCSI
CD-R, 4.3 Gb IDE Hard drive, 24x IDE CD-ROM, Soundblaster AWE 64, S3
video w/ 4Mb.

I plan to purchase enough parts to build a bare-bones SCSI system, most
likely with an inexpensive Celeron for now. Now for the questions :)

1) Am I correct to assume that on-board SCSI will be faster than a PCI
card? If so, can someone recommend a good one, I'd prefer to go ahead
and spring for Ultra 2 Wide.

2) What hardware should I use for which machine? I can swap hardware
between the new and old machines to get the best arrangement. The CD-R
needs to be in the workstation, but other than that, I'm open. The
workstation will be primarily used for: Audio playing, mixing,
cd-burning, etc, Web surfing, and light developement work. Should the
faster CPU/disk system be the workstation, or the server (since it will
be running some apps which are displayed on the workstation)? In
otherwords, will the faster equipment benefit me more running X,
Netscape and a few other big apps or to be displayed ont the
workstation, or on the workstation, running audio applications and
displaying X.

I'll appreciate any advice offered. This will be my first experience
managing more than 1 desktop PC, so I'm not sure of how to best
distribute loads on the machines.

------------------------------

From: "Andrew Roberts" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ATI Xpert under Linux only does 640 x 480 ?!?!
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 10:37:42 -0000

Forgot to give my email address!

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Sorry you just can't hit reply, I'm using someone else's setup to access
NG's.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chris Walton)
Subject: SCSI DAT-drive Problem
Date: 16 Mar 1999 10:50:45 GMT

I recently obtained a DAT Drive (Seagate Peregrine) and installed it on
my Adaptec 7880 SCSI controller.    The drive seems to work OK with the
Linux SCSI tape driver (kernel 2.2.1) i.e. it is detected OK and backups
seem to work.

However, one thing that bothers me is that the other devices on the
SCSI chain seem to be locked-out when the DAT drive is in operation.
For example, erasing a DAT tape freezes the SCSI hard-disks until the
erase is complete, ditto for rewinding a tape.   The syslog then shows
'SCSI timeout' messages for the hard-disks.   Is this normal behaviour
for DAT drives under Linux?    Can I do anything to preven this happening?

Chris

= Chris Walton - LFCS Postgraduate - email: [EMAIL PROTECTED] =

From: Sebastien HUET <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linux + RS485
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 12:10:07 +0100

-- I am looking for experience using linux + rs485/422 --

someone ?

Regards.

Seb

------------------------------

From: Yuri Karaban <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux on a Celeron?
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 99 16:44:26 +0200

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> by making another copy of the files on the disk and comparing the two
> disk copies.  Finally I reduced the clock speed from 450 MHz to 300 MHz
My Celeron 300A works perfectly at 338 MHz (75MHz bus clock).
I tryed 85 MHz bus clock but my all data was lost :(

------------------------------

From: o r c @ p e l l . p o r t l a n d . o r . u s  (david parsons)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Can Linux use 36-bit Xeon addressing?
Date: 16 Mar 1999 02:17:48 -0800

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Johan Kullstam  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Robert Krawitz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
>> 2 GB RAM is a satisfactory virtual address space for a single process
>> for most purposes, but 1 or 2 GB RAM is not a satisfactory upper limit
>> on RAM today.
>
>but these are not `most purposes'.  the big ram user will almost
>certainly need a shitload of ram for *one* process.

    Not likely, in my experience.

    But do continue with your misconceptions.

                  ____
    david parsons \bi/ Sheesh.
                   \/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Floss)
Subject: Re: ATI all in wonder pro tv tuner
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 05:03:43 GMT

Just as a quick followup to the last post, there is some interesting
info on ATI-TV and Linux users here: http://ati.veiled.net/stats.shtml

        --Floss

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc
From: Johan Kullstam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 16 Mar 1999 06:33:55 -0500

o r c @ p e l l . p o r t l a n d . o r . u s  (david parsons) writes:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> Johan Kullstam  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >i can understand linus completely.  do you remember 16 bit segment
> >hell?
>
>     How long does it take to fill up a 64k code+data segment?  Now
>     how long does it take to fill up a 4gb code+data segment?  I'm
>     sure that one of the days we'll see programs that are larger
>     than this, but it may not be for a couple of year yet.  If we
>     can live with a maximum of 4gb of space per program (that's 4
>     times the current limitation, 2 times if you do kernel hacks)
>     the kernel will be the only entity that needs to worry about
>     segment+offset addresses.

i can accept multiple processes, none of which take up more than 2 (or
perhaps 3) GB each, yet the whole thing needs more than 4 GB to fit
into memory.  the heavyweight application (yes singular, if you had
two independents, you could run them on two boxen) will need to be
written so that it uses multiple processes.  some database type stuff
may already be in such a form.

>     segment+offset addresses are a bit of a pain, but if you're
>     programming in a higher level language they certainly aren't more of
>     a pain than the 68ks separate address and data registers were.

the 68k was a wonderful processor.  C compilers could easily figure
out the difference between an int and a pointer and put the right
thing in the right slot.  that wasn't a pain at all.  you could pretty
much guess what the C code would translate into.  the m68k was a fine
cpu.

the small, medium, compact, far, huge memory model thing was much more
difficult.  i remember working on both m68k and x86 back in 1990 and
the m68k just *so* much easier to deal with.  x86 has register
over-specialization in combination with a dearth of registers.  the
16 bit segments made it suck that much more.

i remember coding C for the x86 in 16 bit mode and it was no fun to
juggle memory models.  huge pointers will break C++ for sure.  look at
NULL, it's an int (or maybe a long).  things go wrong if pointers are
64 bit quantities and NULL is a 32 bit thing.  i am not sure if the
standard allows NULL to be 0LL.  i know it disallows (void *) 0
(stupid yes, but that's how it is).

if i ever need to address more than 4 GB from a single process, it is
high time for me to get a 64 bit processor.  it's as simple as that.

--
                                           J o h a n  K u l l s t a m
                                           [[EMAIL PROTECTED]]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Migrating RH Linux 5.2 to new hard drive
Crossposted-To:
alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.questions,linux.redhat.misc
Date: 16 Mar 99 11:52:43 GMT

In comp.os.linux.hardware Greg Waugh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hey fellow Linux users!  I'm going to be moving my current RedHat 5.2 Linux
> server to a new hard drive.  Everything in the system is going to be the

Simple.  Setup the new drive with fdisk, etc and mount it under /mnt.
Mount all the partitions there, just like it'd be if you booted
up.. you know, /mnt /mnt/usr or whatever you like.  Then do

cd /
find . | grep -v /mnt | grep -v /proc | cpio -dpmu /mnt

You should be able to edit your lilo.conf to point to the new drive,
then run lilo, then boot the new drive.  This has worked for me, but I
may have left something out, so check the man pages and THINK before
you act.

robert

--
robert cope     austin, texas     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.linuxwizard.net        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Leonardo Lanzi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: AMD k6 2 350
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 12:53:53 +0100

Hilaire Fernandes wrote:

> Alistair P Furnell wrote:
> >
> > Hi I have read what you are doing with the boards sounds like a good ider
> > but would this work on a GA-5sg100 mother board with k6 2 350 on it as i
> > updated it weeks before finding out that AMD dose not work to well with
> > redhat 5.2.
>
> Yes some AMD don't work at all with Radhat 4.2 5.1 5.2.
> If you have the 'good' AMD chips it may work ;)
>
> Don't use AMDK6 if you don't want to have problems. There is many.
>
> --
> Hilaire Fernandes
> Dr Geo project http://members.xoom.com/FeYiLai/dr_geo/doctor_geo.html

Hi,
I have AMD K6 - 2 350 too, in an AOpen AX59PRO motherboard, and RedHat 5.2.
It sometimes crash with general protection error ....
Do you think I should trash everything and buy a f..d Intel ? or there is some
trick to try ?

Thanks to everyone,    -Leo-

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Markus Wandel)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,linux.debian.user
Subject: Re: Soundblaser hisses under Linux
Date: 16 Mar 1999 11:57:18 GMT

In article <bDdH2.2455$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
A.G. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>When I do modprobe sb, the modules load w/o any errors, and I hear quite
>annoying hiss comming from the speakers.
>
>The card doesn't produce *any* hissing under NT.

My RH5.2 setup has a command-line mixer control command that is just perfect
for initializing the sound at the end of /etc/rc.d/rc.local (the very last
thing that is run before the login prompt comes up.)  Actually I put a "play"
command in there too so the machine can make a nice hi-fi startup noise just
like UnmentionableOS.

In my machine, the cable from the CD-ROM to the sound card picks up noise,
although not terribly loud.  I also keep the microphone input muted when
not in use.

Markus