  Re: USB support under linux (Daniel Robert Franklin)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Juergen Heinzl)
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.setup.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: Microsoft Serial Mouse 2.0a!  DO NOT READ THIS!
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 21:20:12 GMT

In article <01be70cc$31935110$330b5e18@computer>, Mool wrote:
[...]
>WHAT IS THE TRICK TO GETTING A MOUSE TO WORK PERFECTLY AND RESPOND WITH
>MINIMAL PRESSURE?

Cheese, patience and a lot of education

Cheers,
Juergen

--
\ Real name     : Jürgen Heinzl                 \       no flames      /
 \ EMail Private : [EMAIL PROTECTED] \ send money instead /

------------------------------

From: Thomas Skou Hansen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: NCR53c8xx SCSI detection problem :-( *HeLp*
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 00:00:36 +0100

Hi,

   I've just got my hands on a 4,5 Gb IBM UltraStar (Ultra 2 SCSI, wide)
which hoped would play together with my ASUS (NCR53C8xx based) Fast SCSI
2 controller.
   I know... wide disk, non-wide controller *sigh*, but we've got
adapters for such situations :-). So, I've also got a 68-pin to 50-pin
bus adapter, so everything should be cool, but it isn't. My controller
newer finds my new disk! *fume*
   Until now I've only had a SyJet drive (removable harddisk from
SyQuest) on my controller with the controller and the SyJet as
terminating units, which has been working just fine. My plan is now to
insert the UltraStar as SCSI unit #0 and let the SyJet still be unit #1
and the terminator, but for some reason the UltraStar is newer detected!
However, the SyJet still works as usual, so I guess it is not a
termination problem.
    I've heard that the UltraStar (DDRS-34560W2) needs *active*
termination, but since I cannot see any resistor pack on the SyJet
circuit board, I assume it makes an active termination. So, I just
wondered if the problem is in the adapter (68 to 50 pins).

I hope there is some master mind out there who knows what to do :-)

Sincerely,

Thomas

--
"Noone starts with two a day, but they all seem to end that way"
- Nina Hagen

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Allen)
Subject: Re: Large drive with old BIOS
Date: 18 Mar 1999 23:19:44 GMT

        Not sure what else you are trying to use this machine for, but if Linux
is to be this machine's only OS, then you may be able to get it to install with
RH 5.2.  You will also need 2 DOS formated floppy disks, a working machine with
a version of DOS on it, and a CD ROM drive.

        If this is a possibility, let me know, and I'll post the rest of the
story...

On Wed, 17 Mar 1999 07:40:00 -0800, Paul Mc Kenna <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I am trying to install linux on an old 486 with a 6.4 gig WesterDigital
>hard drive. The problem is the BIOS only supports up to 528megs. Under
>Win95, I would just use EZ drive to get around the problem but the terse
>documentation with the drive says that EZ drive is not compitalble with
>linux. They recommend setting the BIOS to 1023,33,63(I think) and then
>setting up the correct settings for the drive from within the linux
>startup. Problem is the install program can not find the hard drive
>(RedHat5.2). After the first attempt, A few files were actually written
>to the C: drive and I could get a C; prompt and run a startup file which
>had been copied there. But now I can't even do that. Any suggestions?
>
>Paul

Allen

(email addy; user ID portion has a numeral one in place of word
onespoiler, and of course, delete the bogus secondary domain of nospam.)
PC/hardware Guru, and Linux Newbie

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Allen)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,aus.computers.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: USB support under linux
Date: 18 Mar 1999 23:34:32 GMT

USB support in the operating system is a work in progress, though I don't think
it is here yet.

On Fri, 19 Mar 1999 06:40:35 +0800, Regit Young <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Apple imacs runs with USB, so it is not a win98 only thing. And the fact that
>LinuxPPC runs on imacs, Linux support USB.
Huh???  The hardware supports it, The Apple OS supports it, but does LinuxPPC?
I doubt it does yet.  My PC hardware also supports USB, but win95 doesn't do it
(well or at all?), and DOS or anything else on those machines doesn't do it
either, but the hardware is there.

From: Martin Lorenz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: de.comp.os.unix.linux.hardware
Subject: cdrom writer (ricoh) problem
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 21:28:10 GMT

since a few days i am experiencing a new problem, that could be
a hardware one...

when trying to burn a cd the writer stops after a few
seconds producing the following output.

first i thoght it was due to the new kernel i
compiled recently (2.2.3) but
now it seems to me that it is a hardware defect
but before unscrewing my box - which would
mean to get the network down before :-(((((
i want to ask for your opinion:

> cdrecord -multi speed=2 dev=6,0 fs=16m -audio *.cdr
Cdrecord release 1.8a18 Copyright (C) 1995-1998 Jörg Schilling
scsidev: '6,0'
scsibus: 0 target: 6 lun: 0
Device type    : Removable CD-ROM
Version        : 2
Response Format: 2
Capabilities   :
Vendor_info    : 'RICOH   '
Identifikation : 'MP6200S         '
Revision       : '1.20'
Device seems to be: Generic mmc CD-RW.
Using generic SCSI-3/mmc CD-R driver (mmc_cdr).
Driver flags   : SWABAUDIO
Starting to write CD/DVD at speed 2 in write mode for multi session.
Last chance to quit, starting real write in 1 seconds.
/opt/schily/bin/cdrecord: Input/output error. write_g1: scsi sendcmd:
retryable error
CDB:  2A 00 00 00 13 99 00 00 0D 00
status: 0x2 (CHECK CONDITION)
Sense Bytes: 70 00 05 00 00 00 00 0A 00 00 00 00 10 01 00 00
Sense Key: 0x5 Illegal Request, Segment 0
Sense Code: 0x10 Qual 0x01 (id crc or ecc error) [No matching qualifier]
Fru 0x0
Sense flags: Blk 0 (not valid)
cmd finished after 20.568s timeout 40s
write track data: error after 886704 bytes
Sense Bytes: 70 00 00 00 00 00 00 0A 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
/opt/schily/bin/cdrecord: Input/output error. flush cache: scsi sendcmd:
retryable error
CDB:  35 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
status: 0x2 (CHECK CONDITION)
Sense Bytes: 70 00 05 00 00 00 00 0A 00 00 00 00 10 01 00 00
Sense Key: 0x5 Illegal Request, Segment 0
Sense Code: 0x10 Qual 0x01 (id crc or ecc error) [No matching qualifier]
Fru 0x0
Sense flags: Blk 0 (not valid)
cmd finished after 1.053s timeout 120s
Trouble flushing the cache
/opt/schily/bin/cdrecord: Input/output error. close track/session: scsi
sendcmd: retryable error
CDB:  5B 00 02 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
status: 0x2 (CHECK CONDITION)
Sense Bytes: 70 00 04 00 00 00 00 0A 00 00 00 00 0C 00 00 00
Sense Key: 0x4 Hardware Error, Segment 0
Sense Code: 0x0C Qual 0x00 (write error) Fru 0x0
Sense flags: Blk 0 (not valid)
cmd finished after 4.860s timeout 480s

joerg schilling told me, he could not help me in this question

tnx for YOUR help
--
Martin "Lolly" Lorenz
http://hasiti.mir.at/~martin

        the more daring thing mostly is
        to question the known
        than to explore the unknown

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dr. Stephen S. Kerr)
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: Where do I buy supported hardware systems?
Date: 18 Mar 1999 22:11:44 GMT

Ben ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: Maybe ....
: www.varesearch.com
: there are some hardware links at www.linux.org that may be helpful as
: well, lastly I saw an ad for Penguin something but can't remember the
: exact name :(

Penguin Computing perhaps?  Their site is www.penguincomputing.com.  You
may also want to take a look at Linux Hardware Solutions (www.linux-hw.com)
and ASL Workstations (www.aslab.com).  No doubt there are many others.
The ads in a recent Linux Journal could be another source for names.

I am not a customer of any of these companies, I am just aware of their
existence.

-- Stephen Kerr

: [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
: >
: > Good Day Everyone.
: >
: > I work for a systems house that sells complete business applications systems.
: > We have moved from SCO Unix (OpenServer) to Linux (RedHat 5.x) for all client
: > upgrades and new systems.
: >
: > We are looking for a single source of hardware systems, from small
: > 'workstation' based (5-15 users) to full RAID systems (200-500 users, and
: > even up to 1000 users or more).  We are currently limited to RedHat on Intel.
: >  We need a company that can supply hardware support in any major city in the
: > USA, Mexico and Canada.  As yet IBM and Dell do not support RAID for Linux.
: >
: > Does anyone out there know of a company capable of meeting these requirements?
: >
: > Your feedback will be greatly appreciated.
: >
: > Larry Troth
: > Systems Engineer
: > The Unicode Group, Inc.
: > voice: (818) 678-2600
: >  fax : (818) 678-2609
: > http://www.unicode.com
: > [EMAIL PROTECTED]
: >
: > -----------== Posted via Deja News, The Discussion Network ==----------
: > http://www.dejanews.com/       Search, Read, Discuss, or Start Your Own

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 16:59:14 -0500
From: Andrew Comech <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Monitor Frequency (Xwindows)

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I've got a problem...
> When trying to set up Xwindows in SUSE linux v.6 I have problmes getting my
> monitor (and graphics card) to display resolutions of over 640*480
>
> I manage fine in WIndows 95 with a frequency of 60Mhz, but when setting up in
> SaX I can only choose resolutions at 75Mhz.  How can I change this?

Do you mean -- refresh rate is 75Hz?
Actually, 75Hz is MUCH BETTER than 60Hz, because your eye easily notices
blinking of the screen with frequencies below 70Hz (just look a little
off the screen..).

If you look at the output of startx, you will see which combinations of
resolutions and vertical freqencies could (or instead could not) be
displayed.

(I am not sure if you know this: If you want a higher resolution,
press ALT-CTRL-`+'.)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Allen)
Subject: Re: AMD-K6 [B], >32MB, Linux and dmesg
Date: 18 Mar 1999 23:30:02 GMT

        If you are going to post to the USENET, it is customary to post in plain
text, not in HTML.  You may notice that most of your HTML postings get ignored
by much of the group, as that is not only considdered rude to post such, but
this is what showed up in your message, using Agent, which is a very full
featured and popular news reader for the Win platform...   (I still use Win
clients with a Linux server, as do many other folk)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Allen)
Subject: Re: celeron 300a vs 333, 366, 400... celerons
Date: 18 Mar 1999 22:14:28 GMT

Adding fuel to the fire...

        The socketed Celerons are the easiest to alter to do dual SMP
configuration, even if you don't intend to overclock, 'cause all of your mods
would be done on the slot adapter, or "slocket".  If you are running strictly a
Linux box, or at least all SMP capable OS's then you may get more bang for you
buck by going dual.

        Don't reward Intel by buying any crippled chipset motherboard, and
unfortunately, most of the socket 370 boards are in that category (any EX or
ZX), as that is intel's attemp to get the low-end of the market too.  Stick with
the BX boards, and you can't go wrong.  The GX boards are good too, but tend to
be much more expensive, as this is the same chipset intended for use with the
Xeon, but some of the dual slot 1 boards that have the GX chipset have some very
impressive lists of on-board peripherals too, like sound, 10/100 ethernet, dual
channel SCSI, etc.

        I have bought only slot 1 300As since they were made available, I alter
the stock P2 heatsinks to fit, and then overclock the hell out of them.  I also
tend to stick with the Abit BH6 motherboards, since they will allow one to set
the bus speed, no matter what the pinout of the CPU says, and they will also
allow one to raise the core voltage supply in the CMOS setup, which is often
necessary to successfully overclock.  I'm looking at the slocket/370 as a
possible SMP alternative, since the surgery to SMP is less drastic, and much
easier to do on the adapters than on the SEPP.

        I was a big AMD fan 'till the Celeron was introduced, but the prospect
of buying a $65 CPU (same or less than equivalent K6) that I knew I could run at
400 Mhz or more was too hard to pass up.  Now, 2 Celeron 266's and 5 Celeron
300A's later (all overclocked) I can't say I've had any regrets yet.  I also
have 2 PPro boards, one of which has 256 Mb ram, and 2 180 Mhz PPro's o/c to 200
and running RH 5.2 -limited only by my ignorance of Linix, and the other one has
only 128 Mb of ram and no CPUs.  I have to seriously consider whether I will
ever buy any more PPro CPUs to go on that board, as the performance/$$ ratio
suggests I'd be much better of buying a pair of Celerons with slot 1 adapters
and starting over on a good solid dual BX/GX motherboard.

        Hope some of this was useful info?

From: Mike <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SCSI cables
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 19:00:50 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Is this error critical? My computer seems to work fine. Is there a way to use
> all three cables at the same time? I have my Tape streamer on the Int-50, my
> harddisk on the Int-68 and a JAZ drive on the Ext-68.

        You can't do that, at least not with a SINGLE channel SCSI adapter,
like I suspect you have.

        You can do this:

  DISK ------ INT-68 ----- adapter ----- EXT-68 ----- JAZ

        There, the terminators are on either end, one on the hard disk, one on
the JAZ drive.  If you want to have ANOTHER SCSI cable connected, it
must be on a seperate adapter, or a seperate channel.
        Just one of the things that annoyed me in the past as well...

  Mike Stella                             Software / Systems Engineer
  http://www.sector13.org/kazin            Thirteen Technologies, LLC

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Allen)
Subject: Re: How about this modem??
Date: 18 Mar 1999 22:17:44 GMT

The "Virtual UART's" are the entire problem...  You see, someone figured out how
to create a "virtual" UART with the win32 API's and thus was born the
"WinModem".  Unfortunatly, they were very short-sighted in doing so, because
they assumed that everyone would either be running a microsoft OS, or would want
to upgrade? to one, and so there would be no hassles with them, or at least not
with the majority of the market, and they could cut their manufacturing costs,
and thereby raise their profit margins to show their stockholders that they
should be allowed to keep their jobs 'cause they had found a way to improve the
corporate bottom line.

        I also follow the stock market, and 3com, Diamond, US Robotics, Hayes,
and pretty much all of the modem makers have had a massive rollercoaster ride
for the past few years, with the new V.90 standard, and b4 that, the 56Klex vs.
x2 fight, along with the increasing popularity of the internet with the general
public, the modem glut on the market before the V.90 ratification, and all of
these companies need to continue to remain profitable, while at the same time,
cutting both their manufacturing costs, and their support costs.  For a software
modem, they can just point to an upgrade to their software each time a standard
changes, and with the java enabled win9x crowd, it can be set up to automaticly
install, and the user never has to actually do any thinking, or more
importantly, they don't have to pay very many technicians to help people through
their upgrades, and still keep a high customer satisfaction rating, particularly
among the Win/AOL crowd who will generaly be happy as long as they can log in,
check their email, browse the web, and get into a chatroom from time to time.
If they (the vendors/manufacturers) never get any more business than that, that
will still be enough to show a profit to the stockholders, so they aren't
willing to spend too much after that to get other business especially that which
may have special needs (read "more expensive needs to satisfy)

        This entire speech may be a big case of too much information, but the
bottom line is always do your own homework.  I don't think you want that modem,
but whichever one you get, make sure you can get a non-penalized return from
your vendor if it won't work FOR YOUR USE.  Make sure that your vendor knows
that you intend to run it under Linux, and if they will guarantee that it will
do that or ALL of your money back then go for it.

        There are real UART modems, even external ones available for much less
than $100.  Browse this group on DejaNews, or just check
http://www.pricwatch.com/  There is a compatibillity list being compiled and
kept at :http://www.o2.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html

see also http://www.math.sunysb.edu/~comech/tools/CheapBox.html#modem

From: "Hal E. Halvorson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Getting linux to start from LILO question
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 16:32:07 -0800

You must install the LILO on to the MBR Master Boot Record and set using
fdisk the master hda1 or sda1 to (boot or active) and the LILO must be
installed on the MBR, then and only then will it boot of HD.

Later,

Hal Halvorson TQG America Internet

------------------------------

From: "David S. Zimmerman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 23:43:43 GMT

Thanks Allen, I don't mean to be rude!  :-)

I've reposted in text.

From: M.A.Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: HP 895Cxi
Date: 18 Mar 1999 16:33:28 -0600

The printing HOWTO compatibility listing[1] lists the HP DeskJet
890 but doesn't say anything about the 895 series.  Does anyone
know if it will work as well as the 890 does with the cdj890
ghostscript driver?

Mike

[1] http://www.picante.com/~gtaylor/pht/printer_list.cgi

--
Michael A. Miller                                [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  Department of Physics, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign

------------------------------

From: Leo Cambilargiu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: Even innocent people need privacy
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 11:28:16 +1100

I agree with this idea COMPLETELY.  If the idea that people do wrong is a
good enough excuse to violate our privacy, and the attitude that if we do
nothing wrong is an excuse for us not to complain, then the violation of
our privacy has nothing to do with being right or wrong.  Just someone
elses interest.

The minds behind the observation systems are simply motivated by self
interest, regardless of right or wrong.  If you toss money at the man, he
will jump straight into bed.

LCamBilARgiu

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Daniel Robert Franklin)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,aus.computers.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: 19 Mar 99 00:51:05 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Allen) writes:

>USB support in the operating system is a work in progress, though I don't think
>it is here yet.

>On Fri, 19 Mar 1999 06:40:35 +0800, Regit Young <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>Apple imacs runs with USB, so it is not a win98 only thing. And the fact that
>>LinuxPPC runs on imacs, Linux support USB.
>Huh???  The hardware supports it, The Apple OS supports it, but does LinuxPPC?
>I doubt it does yet.  My PC hardware also supports USB, but win95 doesn't do it
>(well or at all?), and DOS or anything else on those machines doesn't do it
>either, but the hardware is there.

Check out http://www.linuxppc.com/iMac, they describe how to install Linux
on the machine. I don't know how alpha the USB support is, but they claim
that the keyboard and mouse work at least!

- Daniel
*       Daniel Franklin - Postgraduate student in Electrical Engineering
*       [EMAIL PROTECTED]