Linux-Hardware Digest #732, Volume #9            Fri, 19 Mar 99 09:13:44 EST

Contents:
  Re: Large (1MB) writes ("Norm Dresner")
  Re: PCI modems in linux? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: X munges the graphics card? (Re: Windows 2000 Rah! Rah! Session (Bill Anderson)
  Problem: install SUSE 5.3 with SCSI ADAPTEC 1505 AVA. ("joeri belis")
  Re: X munges the graphics card? (Re: Windows 2000 Rah! Rah! Session falls flat)
("Jon A. Maxwell (JAM)")
  Canon BJC 5000 ("not")
  Re: Asus Riva TNT on Red Hat 5.0 (Hurricane) ("Lee Sharp")
  Re: Anyone have any experience with Intel DK440LX motherboard and CELERON?
([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Pin outs for parallel port zip drive cable? (Kyle Dansie)
  Re: HP Laserjet 1100 Problems (Grant Taylor)
  Re: problems with sound on Acer Extensa 386T notebook (Elmo Recio)
  Recommend Fast Ethernet Card (Jon Slater)
  Re: X munges the graphics card? (Re: Windows 2000 Rah! Rah! Session (Bill Anderson)
  Midi on CS423x w/2.0.36 (**Nick Brown)
  How to Make a bootable MO disk. (Vincent Lai)
  Re: CD RW - Awful simple question ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Red Hat vs. Calder nic ("Lee Sharp")
  ghostscript driver for minolta PagePro 8 (philipp)
  RedHat 5.2 on a IBM ThinkPad 770E ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: X munges the graphics card? (Re: Windows 2000 Rah! Rah! Session (jedi)
  SuSE 6.0 - PCMCIA Xircom CEM33 (Somf)
  Re: X munges the graphics card? (Re: Windows 2000 Rah! Rah! Session falls flat)
(jedi)
  Sony Monitor Setup (Tomasz Lukasiak)

From: "Norm Dresner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Large (1MB) writes
Date: 19 Mar 1999 11:17:00 GMT

Are you using ftape or something else?
        Norm

Michael Nolan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in article
<7csvh7$iap$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: PCI modems in linux?
Date: 19 Mar 1999 14:02:29 GMT

Which model # is this  PCI non-winmodem ?  Where is it sold ? I couldn't find
it based on the descriptions on the Actiontec website or using shooper.com.

Thanks

--snip--

  Richard Nelson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Actually, that is incorrect
>
> Hello,
>
> My name is Richard Nelson, and I am a Technical support engineer for
> Actiontec Electronics, INC
>
> We do have a PCI modem that is NOT a "Win" modem, it is controller based,
> and uses the Lucent Venus chipset.

---snip---

From: Bill Anderson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: X munges the graphics card? (Re: Windows 2000 Rah! Rah! Session
Date: 19 Mar 1999 14:03:51 GMT

Steffen Kluge wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> M. le Rutte <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >Hey! I did not say that MS windows is easy to use, au contraire! I just
> >don't buy that Linux is ready for Joe Average at home.
>
> I'd say the French language isn't ready for Joa Average at home.
> It's far too complicated to learn. But wait, there are millions
> of Joe Averages speaking French in France (and elsewhere)... Hmm...
> ;-)

Touche'

------------------------------

From: "joeri belis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Problem: install SUSE 5.3 with SCSI ADAPTEC 1505 AVA.
Date: 19 Mar 1999 14:03:52 GMT

Problem: install SUSE 5.3 with SCSI ADAPTEC 1505 AVA.

Hi,

I am trying to install SuSE 5.3 on a new PC
with 2 SCSI CD-ROMS. The SCSI controller is
an ADAPTEC 1505 AVA.
When I boot to DOS all the SCSI drivers get loaded
and I get the following info:
PORT = 0x140
IRQ LEVEL = 10
SCSI ID = 7

Then I start the install of Linux
and the install procedure lets me
enter boot parameters.
I did the following:

aha2x=0x140,10,7,0

this is what all the SCSI howto's tell me anyway.
but still suse does not detect my CDROM.

I there anybody who can help.
Maybe send me a boot disk that worked for them
or another solution.

I would be a real shame that my new 400Mhz pc
should only have win98 on it.

My regards, Joe

------------------------------

From: "Jon A. Maxwell (JAM)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: X munges the graphics card? (Re: Windows 2000 Rah! Rah! Session falls
flat)
Date: 19 Mar 1999 14:03:54 GMT

 Jeff Szarka <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: (comp.lang.java.advocacy)

 | I thought linux was about being "free" I would like to be "free" to
 | change resolutions easily.
 |
 | It's not about the color, it's about the fact that If I'm trying to
 | show a group of people a web page or something it's easier to show
 | them it at 640x480 so they can see it from further away. With 9x/nt
 | it's a few clicks away.

It's something like ctrl-alt-minus and plus (on the number pad) cycle
through your screen resolutions in your standard free X server.

Jam (address rot13 encoded)

------------------------------

From: "not" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Canon BJC 5000
Date: 19 Mar 1999 14:03:55 GMT

Does anyone know if this is supported?  Where could I find a driver?
Thanks,
Peter

------------------------------

From: "Lee Sharp" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Asus Riva TNT on Red Hat 5.0 (Hurricane)
Date: 19 Mar 1999 14:03:59 GMT

qwerty wrote in message <7cr9gb$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

|Hi there!

|Does anyone know how to make a Riva TNT with 16MBs (Asus, Creative or
|Diamond) graphics card work on Red Hat 5.0.
|(I want to see more than 16 colours).

   I believe you need the Metro-X drivers.  They are $39 now, so it isn't as
bad as it used to be.  http://www.metrolink.com/metrox/ess.html

            Lee

--
SCSI is *NOT* magic. There are *fundamental technical reasons* why it is
necessary to sacrifice a young goat to your SCSI chain now and then. *

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware
Subject: Re: Anyone have any experience with Intel DK440LX motherboard and CELERON?
Date: 19 Mar 1999 14:04:01 GMT

In several previous messages, I wrote:

> >> I recently stumbled across the Intel DK440LX motherboard which
> >> provides dual pII capability, onboard SCSI, sound and ethernet.  Best
> >> of all they can be had as cheap as $130!  This almost seems to good to
> >> be true -- somebody pinch me please!

I wrote that Intel does not approve use of the Celeron (as a SINGLE
CPU setup) in the DK board, but I have found some references on net
that it does work.

> >If the Celeron does work, this would be a great bonus for me as I
> >could shave $100 off the price of my system.  My application is *far*
> >from mission- critical, but I would like to know what I'm getting
> >myself into.

So far, I have only heard from one person regarding use of a single
Celeron in the DK, and that was without success.

Another person said that I'd probably need to use a cacheless Celeron
since the DK motherboard can only accept CPUs with 0K or 512K cache.

According to Tmack <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> If you do get a celeron, it will not be capable of SMP unless it is
> physically modified.

I am aware of this.  I am not interested in setting up a SMP system.
I want the DK motherboard because because it has a fairly decent SCSI
controller on-board, and given the price of the MB, you almost get the
SCSI for free.  It is enough of a deal to fork out for a PII, but I'd
really *prefer* to just slap a single Celeron in.

-p.

------------------------------

From: Kyle Dansie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Pin outs for parallel port zip drive cable?
Date: 19 Mar 1999 13:56:00 GMT

Daniel wrote:

> I suppose I could buy a ready made cable but I
> interested in building one of my own.  Does
> anyone know where I can find the pin outs of
> the parallel port cable for the iomega zip drive?
>
> -Daniel

Not sure if I have seen one of these online, but check out this link for
a mail list address and lots of other web pages on parallel port
information.

http://www.torque.net/linux-pp.html

Cheers,
Kyle Dansie
Linux Rules     Iomega Zip Drive Mini - HOWTO
-
http://njtcom.com/dansie/zip-drive.html
                    or
http://metalab.unc.edu/mdw/HOWTO/mini/ZIP-Drive.html

From: Grant Taylor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: HP Laserjet 1100 Problems
Date: 19 Mar 1999 14:04:07 GMT

Rainer Kiehne <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I've got two problems with my Laserjet 1100, Linux Mandrake 5.3,
> ghostscript-4.03-1 using th Laserjet 4/5/6 driver

I would suggest an upgrade to Ghostscript verion 5.10 or 5.50 just as
a matter of course.  I doubt that the ljet4 driver has been changed in
any big way, but it never hurts to have the improved Postscript
support offered by the latest Ghostscript version.

> Printing more then one page via ghostscript takes a lot of
> time. Every single page is treated as a singel printjob. This
> problem does not happen using dvilj, but there are lots of .ps
> documents out there...

This printer is indeed listed as being slow in the compatibiliy list*;
the comment says "seems to be limited by parallel port speeds/speed of
host computer".

Ghostscript will always render a page then dump it to the printer as a
bitmap; this is how Postscript programs are structured and this is how
all Postscript implementations work (those inside printers do not face
a bottleneck, however, between themselves at the printer mechanism).
Dvilj is not limited to dumping one page at a time in bitmap form;
although I don't know much about it, it would be reasonable for dvilj
to be defining fonts as downloadable PCL fonts and then printing each
page by just telling the printer to put each character in the proper
place.  This would typically result in less data...

> Postscript graphics are only printed with 300x300 dpi. Using 600x600
> results in pictures where the lines are displaced against each
> other.

Now this I'm not aware of.  I'm not quite clear on what you are
describing, though - what do you mean by displaced lines, and what
sort of graphics - vector graphics or embedded bitmapped pictures?

* The Linux Printing HOWTO's compatibility listing lives at
  http://www.picante.com/~gtaylor/pht/printer_list.cgi

--
Grant Taylor - gtaylor@picante<dot>com - http://www.picante.com/~gtaylor/
 Cellphone information: http://www.picante.com/~gtaylor/cell/

------------------------------

From: Elmo Recio <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.dev.sound,linux.dev.laptop,linux.dev.kernel
Subject: Re: problems with sound on Acer Extensa 386T notebook
Date: 19 Mar 1999 13:47:10 GMT

Axel Morgner wrote:
> > - several kernel versions (2.0.3x -> 2.2.2)
>
> Not exactly correct, it works with kernel versions up to 2.0.35. IMHO it
> is a kernel problem, probably something in the OSS structure. I didn't
> try ALSA sound driver yet, maybe it works, too.
>
> For me I solved the problem by falling back to a kernel prior to 2.0.36
> (e.g. 2.0.32 did fine). Anybody an idea about getting rid of it using
> latest kernel?

I tried the alsa drivers and it worked wonderfully!!
cheers,
elmo

--
"She wants it Now
 and she will not wait

------------------------------

From: Jon Slater <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Recommend Fast Ethernet Card
Date: 19 Mar 1999 14:04:08 GMT

Can anyone recommend a fast PCI Ethernet card for Linux?

Thanks!
--
Jon D. Slater                   QualComm Inc.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]     6150 Lookout Road

------------------------------

From: Bill Anderson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: 19 Mar 1999 14:04:10 GMT

Jeff Szarka wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Mar 1999 23:58:37 +0000, Bill Anderson
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> :
> :hat compiling?
> :one word:
> :RPM
> :
> :Thank you, good night.
>
> On a fresh redhat 5.2 install doing rpm installs resulted in many
> broken dependencies. It's just as annoying as the windows DLL mess.

The you had a bad install, or were trying to install things that
required stuff you simply don't have.

I install on average, 4 Linux boxes a week (m-f), all with redhat. Never
have I encountered problem you describe.

<rant_on>
If you install something woth a tarball, and it requires something you
_simply_don't_have_ it will not function.
A dependency means somehting needs or is needed by a particular thing.
if you are trying to remove a package, and somehting else requires it,
when would you like to know, before or after you remove the required
item?

IN MSland, when you delete a dll, and somehting requires it, what is to
stop you? if it is in use, MS won't let you remove it. if not, goodbye,
it's gone. Your app that required that dll is now dead. For example, if
you have LyX, you have xforms. LyX requires Xforms, whether you use a
tarball/rpm/dpkg/whatever. If you try to remove the xforms rpm, it will
tell you no, you need it for LyX. then, if you *wan't* to, you can break
LyX and remove it with --nodeps or --force. In Mickeysoft land, you are
on your own, and probably would have broken LyX, then tried to run it
later and it would fail. Then you would sitting there scratching your
head wonder what broke it.

On installs, when you try to install LyX, if you don't have XForms, it
will say no, install XForms first. Why is this bad?? If you (could)
install lyx w/o xforms, it won't work. Then you would be bitching about
how something should have told you that you needed something else. To
make a mess of your dependencies requires deliberate, conscious action
through the use of --force and --nodeps.
<rant_off>

Bill

------------------------------

From: **Nick Brown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Midi on CS423x w/2.0.36
Date: 19 Mar 1999 14:03:15 GMT

Does anyone have Midi working on a CS4232 family chip with kernel 2.0.36
(driver version 3.5.4) ?  The notes in Readme.cards are a little
confusing.  I take them to mean that Midi should work, but not to use
MPU401 mode.

When I enabled MPU401 in xconfig, I got an unbootable kernel, so that
seems right.  Now, I have MPU401 off, and Midi on.  One problem is that
the xconfig dialog expects me to supply an IRQ for the Midi interface,
but according to the Plug'n'Play utilities diskette for my PC (Dell
OptiPlex GXa), the Midi chip doesn't consume an IRQ, just an I/O
address.  I put IRQ 9 which I know is free.  (When I put IRQ 5, the same
as the sound driver, I got a conflict message at boot time.)

The sound system claims to be CS4236, but I suppose this is compatible
with CS4232.

The various Midi players are happy to start, it's just that nothing
comes out.

Nick Brown, Strasbourg, France (Nick(dot)Brown(at)coe(dot)fr)

Protect yourself against Word 95/97 viruses, free - check out
 http://www.geocities.com/NapaValley/Vineyard/1446/atlas-t.html

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Vincent Lai)
Subject: How to Make a bootable MO disk.
Date: 19 Mar 1999 14:04:12 GMT

       Can anyone tell me how to make a bootable MO disk in Linux?
        Thx.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: CD RW - Awful simple question
Date: 19 Mar 1999 14:04:13 GMT

In article <7c0bms$dl$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Volker Widor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> :     All I want to use the CD RW for is backing up Linux.
> i also use my cdrw for backup.
> yust create an tar-archive (zipped or not) and write it as image
> to the cd.
> to restore you have to make a "dd /dev/scd? | tar ..."
> works realy fine ;-) you have the permissions,owners,... saved too
> (not so under iso) and it is there is no easy way under win,dos,...
> to sniff the cd for passwds,...

Ok, you can use dd to write the tar image to the CD under Linux, sort of
treating the CD as a tape drive.  Hm, I wonder if you can do a tar -f
/dev/scd?.

Do you have to "pre-format" the CD using something like cd-roast before doing
this?

Thanks a bunch,
Jonathan French

From: "Lee Sharp" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Red Hat vs. Calder nic
Date: 19 Mar 1999 14:04:16 GMT

John Heppner wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

|I am installing red hat linux on a compaq 6000.  Most of the drivers I
|need come with red hat.  However the nic (netflex 10/100 by compaq) is
|not supported. Calder does have a driver for it.  Can I get the driver
|and incorporate it into red hat?  If so, how can I do it, else tell me
|what I can do.

   You didn't say it, but from what I have just gone through, you have one
of those nasty TLAN chips.  I went through hell getting it working, but it
works now, damnit. :-)  FYI- The Caldera driver on the boot disks does not
work for an FTP install.  It is just there to tease us poor Compaq owners.

   First, skip networking and get Red Hat up and running.  Then from a
command line, do an "insmod tlan duplex=2" and run netconfig.  You may have
to remove, and insert it again to get it to work right, and you may not...
If you are feeling alone and persecuted, do a dejanews search on the keyword
"tlan" in the c.o.l.networking group. :-)

            Lee

From: philipp <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.news.groups,linux.help
Subject: ghostscript driver for minolta PagePro 8
Date: 19 Mar 1999 14:04:18 GMT

Hi

i want to use my minolta pagepro 8 laser printer under linux.
does anyone know which ghostscript driver i shall use?

please give me a tip

philipp

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RedHat 5.2 on a IBM ThinkPad 770E
Date: 19 Mar 1999 14:03:24 GMT

I am trying to install Red Hat 5.2(Cheapbytes cd version) onto my ThinkPad
770E and have ran into nothing but problems doing so.  The first wrinkle I
have ran into is the fact that I have a floppy drive and a dvd drive that can
only be used one at a time...an either/or type thing.  My machine has 2 1.95
gig partitions and a 800 meg partition.  First of all...I decided I would do
a floppyless install using the ezstart.bat on the root of the cd-rom.  This
plan was foiled when I would boot to DOS and I was not allowed to access my
DVD drive.  I would type f: at the c prompt and would get invalid drive
letter...or something similar.  I decided then to boot back into windows and
copy the cd-rom to my c drive.  I created a directory on C called Redhat and
copied the contents of the entire cd to it. I had made the supplemental and
boot disks earlier so I already had them.  I powered down the ThinkPad..and
changed out the DVD and floppy drive.  I put the boot disk in and powered up
the machine.  The machine booted off the disk and I went into expert mode and
proceeded just like normal. I decided to install to that 800 meg partition so
I went about using linux fdisk to blow away the dos partition on it and set
up a linux native and linux swap partition on it.  I then established my
mount points for my other 2 dos drives and for my root partition.  The next
screen wanted to know where to find the files for the install.  I knew they
were on c:\ in the Redhat directory so i chose /dev/hda1 and then tabbed down
and entered Redhat on the line and then tabbed to OK.  I then got a message
that the install files could not be found at the location specified.  It
wouldn't find them no matter what I did.  Any ideas?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (jedi)
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: 19 Mar 1999 14:04:23 GMT

On Thu, 18 Mar 1999 12:45:06 GMT, Jeff McWilliams <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Jeff Szarka wrote:
>>On a fresh redhat 5.2 install doing rpm installs resulted in many
>>broken dependencies. It's just as annoying as the windows DLL mess.
>
>Keep in mind that this is distribution specific.  I don't know anything about
>REDHAT as I don't use that distribution.  But I do know Debian.  Debian's
>equivalent of RPM is dpkg, and there is a higher level installation utility
>called dselect that lets you select lists of packages to install and it'll
>help you figure out the dependency issues.  The Debian people have been
>very good about embedding dependency information inside their .DEB files.
>(The equivalent of .RPM packages in RedHat)  If I try to install,
>for example, xbase-3.3.2.deb it'll make sure I have xlib6g-3.3.2.deb installed
>first.  If I don't, it'll tell me I have a problem before proceeding with
>configuring the package I tried to install.  It's a great feature.

        I believe this is the process he is comparing with *dll hell.

>Debian CD's, as well as Debian's web page, gives you the dependency
>information for every package available.  Since I find dselect clumsy to use
>(they're supposed to be improving this with a new utility called apt) I just
>use dpkg to pick and choose which .deb's i wish to install by hand.  With the
>dependency information in there it's pretty close to fool proof.
>

>You're right though, that Microsoft DLL's aren't much different than .so
>shared libs under Linux.  The problem with Microsoft software is that
>Microsoft encourages developers to include system DLL's in their software
>installations if they're required by the application.  No version
>interdependency checking is done when this occurs.  At best, the newest
>version of a DLL almost always gets installed, whether it's compatible with
>the rest of the system or not.  I've seen people right in my own company
>seriously hose a computer's TCP/IP capabilities because Installshield Express
>thought a Visual Basic project needed WININET.DLL.  Installing a new copy of
>that, however, breaks SHLWAPI.DLL (er something like that) in a way that
>breaks a lot of TCP/IP functionality without warning the user.
>
>This practice is unheard of using the Debian system.  An installation of the
>mail reader elm, for instance, won't include the mime-support libs just
>because it supports mime.  You go back to Debian for the mime-support libs,
>and dpkg makes sure the mime-support libs and the elm package are compatible
>with the rest of the libs on your system before installing.

[deletia]

--

  "I was not elected to watch my people suffer and die     |||
   while you discuss this a invasion in committe."        / | \

        In search of sane PPP docs? Try http://penguin.lvcm.com

------------------------------

From: Somf <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: SuSE 6.0 - PCMCIA Xircom CEM33
Date: 19 Mar 1999 14:00:36 GMT

Can anyone help. I know there are others with the same problem:

The System see's the card just fine. Got Link, Got traffic light
blinking, but can't get system to talk to the network. I can ping the
localhost, but nothing on the network, not even the default router. Network
configs look okay to me!

Using: SuSE 6.0
System: Toshiba Tecra 8000
Ethernet Card: PCMCIA - Xircom CEM33

Per SuSE Documentation, I have:
  Disabled the Network configs for the Ethernet in YAST,
  Created a Scheme and used lilo to setup the network (it appears to be fine).
  in rc.config set: PCMCIA_PCIC_OPTS="do_scan=0 irq_mask=0xefff"

ALL HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED IN ADVANCED!

Here are my current configurations. Maybe someone see's something I don't:

# cardctl ident
cardctl.txt
Socket 0:
  product info: "Xircom", "CreditCard Ethernet+Modem 33.6", "CEM33", "1.00"
  manfid: 0x0105, 0x110d
  function: 2 (serial)
Socket 1:
  no product info available

# ifconfig eth0
eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:80:C7:57:F8:4C
          inet addr:139.103.100.188  Bcast:139.103.100.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          collisions:0
          Interrupt:3 Base address:0x2d0

# netstat -rn
Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags   MSS Window  irtt Iface
139.103.100.0   0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U      1500 0          0 eth0
127.0.0.0       0.0.0.0         255.0.0.0       U      3584 0          0 lo
0.0.0.0         139.103.100.254 0.0.0.0         UG     1500 0          0 eth0

FROM dmesg:
  xirc2ps_cs.c 1.31 1998/12/09 19:32:55 (dd9jn+kvh)
  eth0: Xircom: port 0x2d0, irq 3, hwaddr 00:80:C7:57:F8:4C
  ttyS03 at 0x02e8 (irq = 3) is a 16450
  eth0: media 10BaseT, silicon revision 1

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (jedi)
Crossposted-To:
Date: 19 Mar 1999 14:04:34 GMT

On 18 Mar 1999 17:38:00 GMT, Jon A. Maxwell (JAM) <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Jeff Szarka <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: (comp.lang.java.advocacy)
> |
> | I thought linux was about being "free" I would like to be "free" to
> | change resolutions easily.
> |
> | It's not about the color, it's about the fact that If I'm trying to
> | show a group of people a web page or something it's easier to show
> | them it at 640x480 so they can see it from further away. With 9x/nt
> | it's a few clicks away.
>
>It's something like ctrl-alt-minus and plus (on the number pad) cycle
>through your screen resolutions in your standard free X server.

        This is too 'difficult' and the 3rd party applets aren't
        'bundled in'.

From: Tomasz Lukasiak <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Sony Monitor Setup
Date: 19 Mar 1999 14:04:37 GMT

Hi,
    I just got a new 17in Sony MultiScan 200ES along with a Creative
Labs Graphics Blaster Riva TNT video card.  I'd like to run at 1280x1024
resolution, but I want to use all the available refresh capability of
the monitor.  The specs give it 30-70k kHz horizontal and 50-120 kHz
vertical.  XFree86 gives three ready-to-go 1280x1024 modes, but the only
one that is below 70 kHz horizontal is also only 60 kHz vertical (thus
causing a slight flicker).  Can anyone tell me the mode parameters
I should use in order to run at 1280x1024 with a good vertical refresh
rate?

Thanks
Tom