From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chris Walton)
Subject: SCSI DAT-drive Problem
Date: 19 Mar 1999 13:53:47 GMT

I recently obtained a DAT Drive (Seagate Peregrine) and installed it on
my Adaptec 7880 SCSI controller.    The drive seems to work OK with the
Linux SCSI tape driver (kernel 2.2.1) i.e. it is detected OK and backups
seem to work.

However, one thing that bothers me is that the other devices on the
SCSI chain seem to be locked-out when the DAT drive is in operation.
For example, erasing a DAT tape freezes the SCSI hard-disks until the
erase is complete, ditto for rewinding a tape.   The syslog then shows
'SCSI timeout' messages for the hard-disks.   Is this normal behaviour
for DAT drives under Linux?    Can I do anything to preven this happening?

Chris

= Chris Walton - LFCS Postgraduate - email: [EMAIL PROTECTED] =

From: Claudio Morgia <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.portable,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Cardbus ethernet ActionTec FastNet PRO 10/100
Date: 19 Mar 1999 13:51:57 GMT

I have an ActionTec FastNet PRO 10/100 CardBus on a Mitac 5033T: with
some imagination, I guessed that it features a DEC 21143 chipset, so it
can be drived with the 'tulip_cb' driver under Linux.
 I'm using linux-2.2.3 on AMD K6-2/333.
 This card is recognized and powered on but in a couple of seconds
starts emitting messages like that:
 eth0: 21140 transmit timed out, status f0120000, SIA 000000c6 ffff0001
fffbff7f 8ff50000, resetting...

 eth0: transmit timed out, switching to 10baseT media.

 It continues with these messages until I stop the pcmcia service at
all.
 I had compiled the latest tulip driver 0.9 as a module for CardBus but
it does not work.

 Does anybody knows how to fix the problem of media recognition? It is
some other problem behind that?

 Claudiuccio

------------------------------

From: "Andrew Roberts" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ATI Xpert under Linux only does 640 x 480 ?!?!
Date: 19 Mar 1999 13:53:51 GMT

Thanks for your reply Rod!

Rod Roark wrote in message <7clftu$7gb$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>Andrew Roberts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>I have installed Redhat Linux 5.2 And everything is (appears :-)  ) to be
>>working fine exvcept my graphics card under X-Windows
>>
>>It is an ATI Xpert@Play PCI 4MB and even when I select Xpert@Play from the
>>list of cards on installation (and select my Samsung SyncMaster 3Ne from
the
>>list) I have to manually choose screen modes and do select all relevent
>>ones.  However the system will only boot into 640x480 no matter what.  It
>>tells me there is no setting info for 1024x768 and 800x600 or something.
>
>What tells you that?  Be specific.

It's ok, I just got that bit sorted now.  It is running in 1024x768x8, I now
need to find a way to get it to do true colour...  :-)
How do I specify which colour depth to use?  In the file I have made
subsections for 1024x768 at each colour depth but it always uses the 8bpp
one.  I can't find a reference in the file telling it which one to use by
default.
Next step is to install that gorgeous looking WindowManager!  Yes I like
making life difficult!

>>Does anyone know how to install this card under said version of Linux.  As
>>it is a popular card I would have thought this was a common problem.  Any
>>help would be appreciated.  I don't mind reinstalling the whole of Linux
as
>>it only take s afew minutes.
>
>Run xf86config, you don't have to reinstall.

That's what I did, I still had to manually muck about with the file
afterwards as my Intellimouse went bokers!

>>An email reply would be appreciated if possible,
>
>It's possible, but that's not what newsgroups are about.  :-)

Yeah, I know.  It just means I have to go round to a mates house to check
the newsgroup, still I need the exercise!  :-)

>>and in case you need to
>>know the full machine spec is:
>>K6 300 on a Tekram board with 512K cache
>>64Mb SDRAM
>>3.5Gb IDE UDMA Drive (450Mb partition for Linux and 50Mb partition for
swap)
>>Internal 24x CD-Rom
>>Internal IDE Zip drive
>>ISA Soundblaster AWE 64 (Haven't a clue where to start on that but not
>>bothered about sound anyway :-)  )
>
>Here's a clue: run "sndconfig".  :-)

I will have a go, the days of installing the thing under NT Server still
haunt me though!

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,alt.os.linux,linux.redhat.install
Subject: Linux RH 5.2 boot : monitor off and freeze
Date: 19 Mar 1999 13:53:53 GMT

Excuse me for reposting I am desparate,

I have two Dell poweredge XE 590 who are not able to boot from the RH 5.2
boot diskettes. I have made several RH 5.2 boot floppies from both the web
and cd's but no luck. I used several floppies, made on several platforms and
several diskdrives.

Here's what happens :
I can see the Welcome to Redhat Linux bootmessage, I can switch between
screen(F1,F2,F3,F5,F6). After I hit enter, I see :
Then the sreen starts scrolling and after a few seconds the monitor switches
off.

My system :
Dell PowerEdge XE 590 (EISA/PCI)
Intel Pentium 90
64M memory
On-board NCR 53C810 SCSI hostadapter (PCI)
Adaptec AHA-1740 Eisa SCSI hostadapter (EISA)
ATI68800AX videocard

The bootdiskettes work perfectly well on a Dell optiplex, so I assume there's
nothing wrong with the diskettes. Also RH 4.2 installed like a charm, even on
the same diskettes!

I have seen only a few postings on dejanews, but there was no reply, so is
there anybody out there who can help me out?

From: o r c @ p e l l . p o r t l a n d . o r . u s  (david parsons)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Can Linux use 36-bit Xeon addressing?
Date: 19 Mar 1999 13:53:54 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Johan Kullstam  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Robert Krawitz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
>> 2 GB RAM is a satisfactory virtual address space for a single process
>> for most purposes, but 1 or 2 GB RAM is not a satisfactory upper limit
>> on RAM today.
>
>but these are not `most purposes'.  the big ram user will almost
>certainly need a shitload of ram for *one* process.

    Not likely, in my experience.

    But do continue with your misconceptions.

                  ____
    david parsons \bi/ Sheesh.
                   \/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Richard Steiner)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: For all you Nicrosoft lovers
Date: 19 Mar 1999 13:45:40 GMT

Here in comp.os.linux.setup, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (doole) spake unto us, saying:

>"Rufus V. Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> apparently said this:
>
>>The point is that sometimes innocent people need their privacy.
>
>From Authorities? Why??

What happens if that Authority decides to use your information in a
manner which harms you?  Or if someone else steals that information
from that Authority?

Blind trust can be foolish.

--
   -Rich Steiner  >>>--->  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  >>>---> Bloomington, MN
    OS/2 + Linux (Slackware+RedHat+SuSE) + FreeBSD + Solaris + BeOS +

------------------------------

From: Yuri Karaban <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux on a Celeron?
Date: 19 Mar 1999 13:53:57 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> by making another copy of the files on the disk and comparing the two
> disk copies.  Finally I reduced the clock speed from 450 MHz to 300 MHz
My Celeron 300A works perfectly at 338 MHz (75MHz bus clock).
I tryed 85 MHz bus clock but my all data was lost :(

------------------------------

From: Rod Roark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: how much do I really need?
Date: 19 Mar 1999 13:54:01 GMT

Lika Meinberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Hi, I read some articles about linux, more specificly about it not
>requiring a very powerful machine to function with, and I began to geet
>interested. I own a 386 laptop (that was put asside) with 6Mb RAM, and
>85Mb HD that I would like to know if there is any possibility of
>instaling linux with x-windows system on it.
>If there is anyone who has done something like this or can give me a
>solution I would apreciate it.

With X it will be a tight squeeze, but might work.  See
http://www.sunsetsystems.com/tip-lowmem.html for a description of
what I did with a similar machine.

From: ken brakey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.networking
Date: 19 Mar 1999 13:45:42 GMT

SEE!  I'm NOT paranoid!  THEY ARE out to get me! :)
ken

------------------------------

From: Leonardo Lanzi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: AMD k6 2 350
Date: 19 Mar 1999 13:54:03 GMT

Hilaire Fernandes wrote:

> Alistair P Furnell wrote:
> >
> > Hi I have read what you are doing with the boards sounds like a good ider
> > but would this work on a GA-5sg100 mother board with k6 2 350 on it as i
> > updated it weeks before finding out that AMD dose not work to well with
> > redhat 5.2.
>
> Yes some AMD don't work at all with Radhat 4.2 5.1 5.2.
> If you have the 'good' AMD chips it may work ;)
>
> Don't use AMDK6 if you don't want to have problems. There is many.
>
> --
> Hilaire Fernandes
> Dr Geo project http://members.xoom.com/FeYiLai/dr_geo/doctor_geo.html

Hi,
I have AMD K6 - 2 350 too, in an AOpen AX59PRO motherboard, and RedHat 5.2.
It sometimes crash with general protection error ....
Do you think I should trash everything and buy a f..d Intel ? or there is some
trick to try ?

Thanks to everyone,    -Leo-

------------------------------

From: "omega" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: 3com US Robotics: I can't make a decision!
Date: 19 Mar 1999 13:52:36 GMT

Hi,

I am a new linux user!

Please can you tell me which`` 3com us robotics modem`` do I have to buy:

1-Model 5685-00, Voice Faxmodem (56K, x2, V.90)Pnp:Yes.Jumpers:Yes
Interface:8-bit ISA.

2-Model 5685, Voice Faxmodem (56K, x2, V.90)
PnP: Yes.Jumpers:No.Interface:16-bit ISA.

I need a modem for windows too.

And what do you recommand internal or external?

Many thanks.
omega.t

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Hardware RAID-controllers supported under Linux.
Date: 19 Mar 1999 13:54:12 GMT

I'm trying to find out which hardware PCI-controllers are supported under
Linux. Can anyone tell me some options for hardware RAID-systems that will
work under Linux?

Thanks!

Arjan

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: TNT video card and Linux 5.2 redhat
Date: 19 Mar 1999 13:54:14 GMT

I had the same problem with starting XFree86 with my Diamond Viper 550 until
yesterday.  I downloaded and upgraded the XFree86 to version 3.3.3.1.

Try donwloading the rpm version of Xfree86.  I also had trouble with
installing XFree86 from the files downloaded from www.XFree86.org.  The rpm
files are available at any of the redhat mirror site under the
updates.redhat.com/current/i386/ directories or something like that.  Here
are the files that your are going to need:

XFree86-100dpi-fonts-3.3.3.1-1.i386.rpm
XFree86-3.3.3.1-1.i386.rpm
XFree86-75dpi-fonts-3.3.3.1-1.i386.rpm
XFree86-SVGA-3.3.3.1-1.i386.rpm
XFree86-VGA16-3.3.3.1-1.i386.rpm
XFree86-XF86Setup-3.3.3.1-1.i386.rpm
XFree86-cyrillic-fonts-3.3.3.1-1.i386.rpm
XFree86-devel-3.3.3.1-1.i386.rpm
XFree86-libs-3.3.3.1-1.i386.rpm
Xconfigurator-3.89-1.i386.rpm

Once the files are downloaded run from the directory where the rpms where
downloaded:
         rpm -Uvh --force XFree86*
         rpm -Uvh --force Xconfi*

You can know run Xconfigurator to configure XFree86 with the Diamond V550
card.

This will make the installation much easier and you should be able to finally
get XFree86 to work properly.

Christian Dodier

From: westprog <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: "Select the application, and then the platform"
Date: 19 Mar 1999 13:54:11 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "Todd Bandrowsky" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Very true.
>
> >This presupposes that writing a GUI application with a lot of
> >user-interaction is as easy for *nix as it is for Windows. I doubt whether
> >that is the case. The circumstantial evidence - the look and feel of *nix
> >applications - argues that producing user-oriented software is more
> >difficult on *nix.

> I would say that this is true but for non-obvious reasons.  People tend to
> tout the advantages of Windows IDE's, and, although I do fall in that camp,
> I have found that Unix programmers tend to make up for what we as Windows
> developers percieve as shortcomings by the judicious use of scripts.   In
> terms of raw features, Windows debuggers don't have too much over Unix
> debuggers.  You can actually make something work with GDB, as sick as that
> sounds.

Sun Workshop, Xemacs and Clearcase gives a respectable simulation of a visual
development environment. It is far from seamless though.

> I will say though, that Windows leads for a few reasons:
>
> a.    Lack of Unix documentation on X programming.  Just about every book at
> the store detailing Unix development emphasises the Web or other text based
> programming.  X, is, afterall, something of a Unix afterthought, and not
> really what Unix is all about.  On the other hand, Windows GUI documentation
> and sample code is everywhere, and, much of what everyone needs to know can
> be found in Charles Petzold's quintessential book.
>
> b.    Lack of a standardized widget library.  Like, every X application has
> its own open file dialog.  Yikes.  Windows programmers quit that crap with
> Windows 3.1!   Windows has a set of core widgets that ship with, and it
> seems like X has ten different widget sets, none of which really stacks up
> completely against Windows.  This leads to c.

This is a huge advantage for Windows in several ways. Your 1990 3.1
application can be recompiled in 1999 for Win-32 (with some effort), and it
will automatically get the latest file open dialog. Even without recompiling,
it will look like a Windows 95 application on Windows 95. The user knows to
go to File...Open, and he knows what to do when the dialog appears.

I'm still grappling with the File...Open dialog from Xemacs. It is totally
different from the File...Open dialog for Sun Workshop.

> c.    Lack of a viable component software architecture.  This is a biggy.
>
> Unix does not have a language neutral binary component standard ala Windows
> Active X.  This is partly because CORBA is not nearly as prevalent on Unix
> as COM is on Windows, and is complicated because key pieces of CORBA
> technology are something one has to pay for.  A developer can deploy Active
> X stuff for free.

> For all of its faults, Active X is mature, being many iterations down the
> road from the bad old days of custom control DLL's, and their evil cousin -
> VBX's.  At some point, CORBA may or may not address this, I do not know.
> Java Beans are the only thing that comes close to this, but they are, in my
> humble opion, nothing more than an virtual machinized VBX.

Javabeans are also language specific, even if they are platform independent.
The CORBA I am working with is quite unsuited for small, lightweight, highly
interactive components - it is an excellent solution for communication between
substantial processes running on different platforms.

> d.    Really shitty printer support.  X does not seem to have the same
> concept of device independent drawing surfaces characterized by the infamous
> Windows (and OS/2), DC.  In my limited experience with X, I see nothing like
> the concept of a Windows printer DC or metafiles.  It seems like with X, the
> way to print is still based on generating postscript files.  That could be a
> pretty big hurdle for a developer to cross.

> e.    Font support.  X does not have anything like true type fonts.  I've
> yet to see an X application on my Linux box that does anything that I take
> for granted on Windows.

This is probably for the same reason that CORBA is not equivalent to ActiveX
- X was designed as a cross-platform networked graphics system, not a GUI.

> f.    A cultural bias in the unix community against event driven programming
> in general.  Unix tends to be more of a fire and forget kind of a culture.

This advantage of Windows has been lessened by the use of C/C++ as the main
Windows programming language. That original Petzold C event loop code is very
indigestible stuff, and that is still going on behind a mass of MFC uppercase
macros, with comments like

// #### On pain of death, do not edit this wizard-maintained code

Borland made some minor changes to C++ several years ago which made it
genuinely event driven, but they were forced to take them out. AFAIK, the new
C++ standard continues to avoid the event paradigm, which makes programming
for Windows much harder than it needs to be. Using Delphi (or even the much
messier Visual Basic) is much simpler.

> Well, I would hardly characterize a character mode interface as going back
> to the 70's.  And, certainly, the state of the art for high resolution high
> end graphics happens to be on Unix, not on Windows.  So we should keep our
> mouths shut on that point before Unix advocates mention little computing
> boxes like Cray.

There are two kinds of graphics - graphics that are produced by a program as
output - Unix is the OS of choice here - and graphical interfaces, which we
have discussed above.

> >One of the advantages of *nix is that a Unix programmer put in cryogenic
> >suspension in 1978 could still earn a living in 1999. It is also a
> >disadvantage, depending on how you look at it.
>
> >My old Windows programming
> >books are not much use now - my old Unix books are still valid.
>
> Well, that can be true and not true.  You could probably take Petzold's
> programming Windows 3.1 and get most of the stuff to work with some
> tweaking.  A lot of it is still the same, actually.

Petzold is still very useful in his descriptions of the Windows concepts. I'm
glad I don't have to go to those lengths any more to write a "Hello World"
though.

> On the other hand, my old K&R book has C code that looks like this:
>
> int my_function(a,b)
> char *a;
> int b;
> {
>
>     ;
> }
>
> which, to be honest with you, is a bit easier to document.

And even in 1999 everybody still uses char * for their strings...

J.

From: "Christian Bjerre" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ISDN: Internal isa/pci card
Date: 19 Mar 1999 13:54:15 GMT

>> Anyone had any luck installing Aceex or other brand name
>> internal ISDN adaptor under linux (RedHat 5.2)

> Joshua D. Drake -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Don't use a PCI. If you use a ISA you won't have to worry about it.

So I would be able to use a ISA Aceex card or whatever I choose?

I thought that with pnp you we're able to find the irq with pci based
cards and that the problem was that the're weren't any drivers for
chipsets other than the Fritz card, but correct me if I'm wrong and
I'll go and buy a ISA card right away

But, thank you very much!

Chris

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: old proprietary cd-rom recognised as scsi? (REPOST)
Date: 19 Mar 1999 13:54:18 GMT

In comp.os.linux.hardware [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Hi, i just compiled the 2.2.1 kernel and noticed that it seemed to recognize
> my old proprietary cd rom (which i previously had to use via dos cause i
> couldn't get linux to recognize it).  but "seemed" is the key word here, this
> is what it told me upon bootup:

> Kernel detected SCSI CDROM drive /dev/, checking for a disc:
> mount: /dev/ is not a block device

What kind of cd-rom is that? some creative labs thing? an old Sony
maybe?

> now in NT the driver for this drive is a scsi driver so i guess it makes
> sense for linux to see it as a scsi device but as you can see it detects a
> cdrom at /dev/ not /dev/cdrom (or /dev/anything for htat matter)
NT sees everything as a SCSI device, even IDE hard disks...

Could you be more precise about the cd-rom model? Linux supports several old
proprietary drives, maybe yours is one of them.

--
Alain Borel
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Allen)
Subject: Re: Linux & PCI Modems
Date: 18 Mar 1999 22:43:18 GMT

On Wed, 17 Mar 1999 20:17:45 -0600, "Richard Miller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>FWIW--I may be wrong (and PLEASE let me know if I am) but I understand that
>as of now there is only one major chip set for PCI modems and they are ALL?
>"winmodems".
        Not really true, but if you bank on that, you probably won't be
dissapointed; there are also ISA "Win" or software controlled modems too.  So
far, there has been a total of 2 PCI card modems that claim to have on-board,
real, non-emulated UARTs that I've seen any mention of in this group in the last
5 months.  I have yet to see a success story posted about the Multitech model,
though their tech dept claims Linux capability, or at least possibility, and the
other one was mentioned by a company official that was being tested, and he was
asking for help to get it to work under Linux -- it had already been proven to
work under OS/2, so it probably was a real modem.  Stay tuned to this chanel for
updates though, and If I remember correctly, that one had a Lucent Technologies
chipset.  It isnt so much which chipset they use, as it is whether they try to
use a windows .dll instead of a real UART?
...snip...
>>I'd like some info about the current situation with PCI modems
see above:
>>a) WinModems DON't work
>>        - Obvious, and would never expect them to work
>>
>>b) Modems needing an enumerator can be made to work by loading them in DOS
>to write this bit of software to the
>>modem, and then booting into linux will work
>>        - Pain in the backside to do this if you don't keep your computer
>permanently on
Not worth the trouble' if I can get a better modem for $50?

>>c) Modems using shared memory, detected by linux as using shared memory in
>/proc/pci (configured by BIOS or
>>whatever, normally) could be made to work with linux (relatively) easily if
>there are any specs for using shared memory
>>for modems
In terms of manufacturer support or even register info, might as well consider
these to functionaly be "winmodems too"
>>        - I don't know if there are any such specs (also is this similar to
>b) ? )
>>
>>d) modems with a UART on-board
>>        - these work with linux
>>
>>Could someone tell me, or point me to modems/chipsets which fall into
>category d), ie those which work with linux?
>>Also, is there anything for type c) to work in linux?

        There are real UART modems, even external ones available for much less
than $100.  Browse this group on DejaNews, or just check
http://www.pricwatch.com/  There is a compatibillity list being compiled and
kept at :http://www.o2.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html

see also http://www.math.sunysb.edu/~comech/tools/CheapBox.html#modem

Allen

(email addy; user ID portion has a numeral one in place of word
onespoiler, and of course, delete the bogus secondary domain of nospam.)
PC/hardware Guru, and Linux Newbie

------------------------------

From: "Kike" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.questions,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: Migrating RH Linux 5.2 to new hard drive
Date: 19 Mar 1999 13:54:20 GMT

Greg Waugh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:%FdH2.60$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>Hey fellow Linux users!  I'm going to be moving my current RedHat 5.2 Linux
>server to a new hard drive.  Everything in the system is going to be the
>same, just a new /sda drive.  I'm just curious if anyone has a procedure to
>do this of if it is documented anywhere.  I thought I would do a cp -a *
(or
>a few with correct tmp mount points), then boot from a floppy with the new
>HD as root and run LILO, but I'm fuzzy on how to set up the /proc and /dev
>filesystem....  and if there are going to be any issues with the swap
>space...  Thanks everyone!  Any help would be very appreciated!

>Greg Waugh ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
>Manager of Systems Operations
>Productivity OnLine

I would use Ghost for this kind of job. This program will clone the old HD
into the new one in about 5 minutes. It even resizes automatically the
partitions in the case the new HD is bigger than the old one. A real jewel!

--
Henry Ficher