From: Thomas Zajic <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Xcdroast, hp7200i IDE not mounting problem
Date: 19 Mar 1999 20:11:05 GMT

Mr Cheuk Kong Lo wrote:
> [ ... ]
> Now, recompile the kernel, install new kernel and modules.
> Case 1:  You don't need CDR, just normal Linux
> You are already done. No extra step need to use /dev/hdb, /dev/hdc as IDE-CDROM.
> Case 2: You need CDR[W],
> Just copy the lilo.conf entries from original one to another one, have
> it named linux-cdr, e.g.,
> image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.3
>         label=linux-normal
>         root=/dev/hda6
>         read-only
> image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.3
>         label=linux-cdr
>         root=/dev/hda6
>         append="hdb=ide-scsi hdc=ide-scsi"
>         read-only
> Re-run lilo and now choose linux-cdr in bootup. Now both IDE CD will be
> emulated as SCSI CDROM/CDR.

Huh? This sure strikes me as extremely, unnecessarily overcomplicated.
Are you saying you have to reboot each time you want to burn a CD?!
If I understood this correctly, /dev/hdb is a normal IDE CD-ROM, and
/dev/hdc is the IDE CD-RW.

Well, why not just do the following:

1. Disable ATAPI CD-ROM support, enable ATAPI-SCSI host emulation,
   SCSI CD-ROM support and SCSI generic support in the kernel.
2. Remove all "hdX=ide-scsi" from lilo.conf. This way, /dev/hdb (the
   CD-ROM) becomes /dev/sr0, /dev/hdc (the CD-RW) becomes /dev/sr1.
   Both drives are now treated as SCSI devices.
3. Update your /etc/fstab and eventual /dev/cdrom and /dev/cdwriter
   links accordingly, then you´ll be able to mount both drives as
   usual.
4. X-CD-Roast/cdrecord automatically figure out the correct generic
   SCSI device (/dev/sg*) anyway, no need to worry about this part.

Alternatively, do the following (only works with kernels >= 2.0.35):

1. Enable ATAPI CD-ROM support, ATAPI-SCSI host emulation, SCSI
   CD-ROM support and SCSI generic support in the kernel.
2. Add "hdc=ide-scsi" to lilo.conf. This way, /dev/hdb (the CD-ROM)
   remains the same, /dev/hdc (the CD-RW) becomes /dev/sr0. The
   CD-ROM is now treated as an IDE device, the CD-RW as an SCSI
   device.
3. as above.
4. as above.

Either way, you always have access to both CD drives, no matter
what you´re going to do (burn a CD, or mount a CD for reading),
absolutlely no need to reboot. See my lengthy reply to J-L Boers
for more details.

Thomas
--
=---------------------------------------------------------------------=
-        Thomas Zajic aka ZlatkO ThE GoDFatheR, Vienna/Austria        -

------------------------------

From: "Mario Schrijver" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
apana.lists.os.linux.kernel,apana.lists.os.linux.ppp,apana.lists.os.linux.redhat,at.fido.linux,comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.portable,comp.os.linux.setup,de.comp.os.unix.linux.hardw
Subject: pcmcia freezes me to death
Date: 19 Mar 1999 20:11:22 GMT

Hi,

I,ve got a Micropoint Iliission with the pcmcia-cs-3.0.8 module combined
with 2.2.3 Linux Kernel. Starting PCMCIA freezes the machine.

probe -m shows an i82365 like pcmcia chipset in my machine. Still, loading
the modules by hand shows that all other related modules don't cause a
crash, but the i82365 does

When i relay the output to logfiles it only shows the module going in  for a
restart... and then it stops.

 How to debug this?

Anyone has a clue how to handle this.?

Regards,

Mario Schrijver

------------------------------

From: John Hasler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: For all you Nicrosoft lovers
Date: 19 Mar 1999 20:11:26 GMT

doole writes:
> From Authorities? Why??

"Authorities" with a capital "A", eh?  Who do you think these "Authorities"
are, God?  Why should the fact that someone is employed by one of those
organizations that you label an "Authority" give him the right to read my
private files?
[EMAIL PROTECTED]            Do with it what you will.

From: "Gary" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.networking,linux.redhat.install
Subject: Re: Advise please re RedHat 5.2 and my install....
Date: 19 Mar 1999 20:11:28 GMT

Hi Martin and Greg,
Thanks for both your replies... I will break the seal and see what
happens... I'd like to add a 4th question if you don't mind... namely I
already have Windows NT installed on my dual processor system, and have a
free partition on my HD... would Linux be able to coexist on the same HD
with NT, could I stick it in partition 4 and have it leave NT relatively
untouched? Anyway, while waiting for your reply, I'll be opening the seal
and trying to figure out which of the 4 enclosed Linux books to try
reading/printing (thank god for fast autoduplexing laser printers).

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Daryl Lee)
Subject: Re: Running CD-Rom of Soundcard
Date: 19 Mar 1999 20:10:57 GMT

Paul Mc Kenna <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I am trying to install Linux on an old 486. ...

I finally succeeded installing on my old 486.  I finally abandoned the
CDROM altogether and installed from the hard drive.

Also, I had to disable CPU caching, to avoid a bunch of "Signal 11"
crashes.

Good luck.  I can attest that it's not as easy as all the literature
makes it out to be.

Daryl O. Lee
Atlanta, Georgia
"Life is where you get your answers questioned." -- Moyers

------------------------------

From: Don <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: X munges the graphics card? (Re: Windows 2000 Rah! Rah! Session
Date: 19 Mar 1999 20:11:33 GMT

Henning Strandin wrote:

> [...]
> > :Win95 box at home [my secondary computer of course] thinks that my modem
> > :is a PS2-mouse, and will not be told otherwise), so I simply decided to
> > :take MS out of the loop. And I'm a much happier puppy for it. These
> > :days, when something goes wrong (as it is bound to do from time to time)
> > :I know that I have all the possibilities to research and fix, from
> > :reading howtos to scanning the source to contact the person who wrote
> > :the program, i.e. it is all up to me. Sometimes I'm too lazy and just
> > :gives up, but then it's still my choice. Not so with moronic MS bugs
> > :like the ones described above. _That's_ the point with an open source
> > :system, and it's usually hard to grasp until you've tried it yourself.
> >
> > I'd probably use linux myself if it weren't for a few things that
> > still make it impossible to switch. Maybe once corel gets their distro
> > out I'll think about it. Here's a perfect example of why I can't/won't
> > use linux:
> >
> > Problem: I want to change my resolution.
> >
> > Win9x/NT:
> > Right click on desktop - properties - settlings - done
> >
> > Linux:
> > Edit config files and god know's what else
> >
> > Why does everything have to be so inconvenient? I don't even care if
> > you can get a program to let you do this, it HAS to come built in,
> > ready to go, I don't want someone telling me I can download
> > whateverdalskjflsa;djfla;sjdfl;.rpm or download the source and compile
> > it. I just want it as simple as win9x/nt, end of story.
>
> Then don't use Linux. Simple. Of course, you'll have to live with the
> instabilities inherent in Windows, but you can't get everything. It's a
> matter of priorities. I'm not being sarcastic here, I consider it to be
> a valid choice if that's what suits you the best. I surely wouldn't
> recomend Linux to my mother for example.
>
> > KDE is neat but it doesn't hide away the unix roots of linux, you
> > still can not escape it.
>
> It still hides away far too much, that's why I don't like it. Using *nix
> isn't like using Windows. They're two different worlds with different
> paradigms and different methods for getting work done. In *nix you
> expect a higher degree of fiddling to get a higher degree of control.
> It's basicly a control vs ready-made game. Few *nix users consider
> command lines like 'tar zxvwf filename' to be a problem. To the
> contrary, they give you complete control over what happens inside your
> computer and this can be very psychologically rewarding as well as
> efficient. This about user interfaces, the stability of the kernel
> architecture is a different story but may be an equaly important reason
> why people chose Linux, even for the desktop. Personaly I handled
> reboot-frustration-syndrome quite badly and thus feel a lot better using
> a more robust and versatile OS.
>
> --
> "The world will little note nor long remember what we say here"

I probably dont know enough to be sure, but at this point, I cant help
but wonder if the biggest problem with linux isnt the documentation. Ive
RTFMed a lot, and so far all of it has been a bunch of disconnected
rubbish. Most of the authors of this documentation cant stay on one
subject long enough to give any cohesive information about it. I truly
feel if I had decent documentation that I could have solved most if not
all my problems long ago. I cant help but wonder if it might improve if
it were not a free system. If it was paid for and people depended upon
it to stay in bussiness, maybe we would have better docs!

Don

------------------------------

From: M.K. Christopher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: SiS 5597/5598 video
Date: 19 Mar 1999 20:11:35 GMT

Hello,
  I also had the same problem and was very frustrated.  However, since I
installed XFree86 3.3.3.1-25 I have been very pleased with the performance
of my graphics.
  I am now am searching for a fix to get 5.2 to recognize my SoundPro driver
on my on motherboard.
   Best of Luck,
M.K. Christopher

On Sun, 14 Mar 1999, Barry Kauler wrote: >Hans,

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jeff Szarka)
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: X munges the graphics card? (Re: Windows 2000 Rah! Rah! Session falls
flat)
Date: 19 Mar 1999 20:11:37 GMT

On Sun, 14 Mar 1999 13:03:33 -0800, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (jedi)
wrote:

:On 14 Mar 1999 12:21:03 -0600, Jeff Szarka <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
:>On Sun, 14 Mar 1999 16:43:45 +0000, Michael McConnell
:><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
:>
:>:On Sun, 14 Mar 1999, Don wrote:
:>:
:>:> Gerhard Traeger wrote:
:>:> >
:>:> > On 14 Mar 1999 01:49:07 -0600, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jeff Szarka) wrote:
:>:> >
:>:> > > Problem: I want to change my resolution.
:>:> >
:>:> > > Linux:
:>:> > > Edit config files and god know's what else
:>:> >
:>:> > He?
:>:> > Where´ve you got this one?
:>:> > Changing spatial resolution for X-servers is done by pressing
:>:> > <Ctrl>+<Alt>+<Num "+"> or <Ctrl>+<Alt>+<Num "-">
:>:>
:>:> I saw this and just thought I would add that it doesnt work for me. And
:>:> I still got a lot of stuff that doesnt work in the linux windows. After
:>:> 4 installs, I did get it to basically work, but it wont do anything once
:>:> you start it. I probably need to edit about 40 files to fix each
:>:> problem.
:>:
:>:If your XF86Config file is set up only for one resolution it won't work. If,
:>:like mine and Gerhard's setups where multiple resolutions have been
:>:configured, it works really well. Though, I have to admit I only use it to
:>:simulate full-screen on my TV card.
:>
:>
:>So.........I still have to edit files?
:
:       No, you'll just have to rerun the configuration applet,
:       much like you would have to do under Windows. The one
:       in Windows is just prettier.
:

Funny thing about that, when I set more then one resolution it makes a
virtual desktop, which I hate..so..........Looks like more editing
huh?

:>
:>Oh yea but...
:>
:>"Perhaps, before complaining about missing capabilities of linux,
:>you should first try to ask how to do things properly."
:
:       Or mebbe you should have set the options you actually
:       wanted when they were being spoonfed to you the first
:       time.

I change resolutions quite a bit, why should it be such a
inconvenience to change a stupid setting?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Allen)
Subject: Re: lost "RPM"
Date: 19 Mar 1999 20:11:54 GMT

It is somewhat rude to post to the USENET in HTML...  Many people will
completely overlook your posts unless you switch to plain text.  Just thought
you'd like to know.

On Sun, 14 Mar 1999 21:49:49 GMT, David McKinney <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

><!doctype html public "-//w3c//dtd html 4.0 transitional//en">
>HELP, PLEASE:
>a conflict RPM command disappeared.&nbsp; Can't find it? Tried using a
>previous kernel, still no RPM.If anyone knows where it is supposed to reside,
>and how I can get it back off a RedHat 5.2 cd I'd sure appreciate it.

Allen

(email addy; user ID portion has a numeral one in place of word
onespoiler, and of course, delete the bogus secondary domain of nospam.)
PC/hardware Guru, and Linux Newbie

------------------------------

From: Frank Cusack <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.sun.hardware
Subject: 24-bit graphics on S/Linux?
Date: 19 Mar 1999 20:11:51 GMT

Anyone know what framebuffers S/Linux supports in 24-bit mode?

>From the FAQ, this would appear to be cg14 (SX), tcx and zx, but
a post I saw somewhere said cg14 was only supported in 8-bit mode.

This would suck since zx is no longer supported for Solaris, and
tcx seems quite hard to find.

~frank

--
* I am Pentium of Borg. Division is futile. You will be approximated. *
*        PGP ID: C001AA75         -|-       [EMAIL PROTECTED]       *

------------------------------

From: Antioch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: CL Riva TNT and RH 5.2 problem
Date: 19 Mar 1999 20:12:06 GMT

I'm a newbie.

I'm just insatlled RedHat 5.2. I got the new XFree86 (3.3.3.1) and
installed it, at least it seemed to be installed. It still won't work
properly when I choose the SVGA server. I have only been able to run it
successfully with the VGA 16 server at 640x480 and 16 colors. If anyone
has the patience some detailed or even explicit :) instructions on how
to get it working in SVGA mode would greatly appreciated.

Regards,
-DS

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ed Falis)
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Is Windows for idiots? (Re: X munges the graphics card?)
Date: 19 Mar 1999 20:12:13 GMT

<7chjmb$f6o$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Sorry about the empty prior reply.

On 14 Mar 1999 19:20:41 -0500, Guess Who <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I would never be so cruel as to throw a rank beginner to the mercies
> of the unix command line.  But anyone who tries to do serious work
> with Windows or Mac is kidding himself.

You must have a pretty strange idea of what serious work is.  We field IDE's on
Windows as well as various Unices for various kinds of applications including hard
real-time, multi-million line applications, and safety-critical applications.  And I
daresay our Windows hosted versions are more pleasant to use than the UNIX ones.
Personally, I've always found the UNIX "user" level environment to be a distraction
from getting serious work done - and I've done some serious work on it since the
early 80's.  I've also seen an awful lot of people who are UNIX-philes waste a lot of
time dicking around with their GUI and other configuration settings instead of getting
their purported work done.

I guess my definition of serious is concentrating on the job at hand.  So, if I have
to spend more time thinking about the environment in which I'm doing it because it
_intrusively_ offers a lot of configurable bells and whistles I'm not interested in, I
resent it.  It's not serious, just seriously distracting.

Can't argue taste, right?  But your last statement is just BS, raising your own
preference to the level of absolute truth.

- Ed

------------------------------

From: "Pacman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Gateway Solo 2500 and XWindows
Date: 19 Mar 1999 20:11:40 GMT

I have a Solo 2500 and installed RH 5.2 on it.  The RedHat 5.2 recognized
the NeoMagic Video chipset and everything was configured without a
hitch..well almost.  The docking station with NIC card was seen but the MAC
address was not recognized until I switch the autosense to 10 MB.  Then you
need to cold boot to have it work right.  After that, no problems. Other
than that, it is the perfect Linux Laptop.  Good Luck

Pacman

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Clemens Beckstein)
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.setup.hardware,comp.os.ms-windows.video
Subject: Re: shakey ATI Xpert 98
Date: 19 Mar 1999 20:11:14 GMT

    ROGIE25> On 18 Mar 1999 09:55:09 +0100,
    ROGIE25> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
    ROGIE25> (Clemens Beckstein) wrote:

    >>  maybe someone can help me with the following problem:
    >>
    >> - MSI-6151 Pentium II (400MHz), 100Hz FSB ATX board with Intel
    >> BX chipset - Monitor Iiyama Vision Master Pro 400 (A701GT) -
    >> ATI Xpert98 8MB AGP 2x graphiocs card on onboard - instable
    >> picture whenever there is a lot of hard disk activity (Maxtor
    >> 8GB UDMA IDE hard disc) or if the TEAC 32x-CD-ROM (also IDE) is
    >> starting up or very busy
    >>
    >> the degree of the disturbance depends on the vertical frequency
    >> (at the moment it is set to 90Hz at a resolution of 1024x768)
    >>
    >> it happens bot under Windows NT 4.0 SP4 and Linux
    >>
    >> what could be the reason?
    >>
    >> I have already changed monitor cables (tried both BNC and VGA
    >> cables) and exchanged the power supply of the machine but the
    >> problem persists
    >>
    >> could this be a problem of the motherboard or will I have to
    >> send back the monitor (the monitor works fine as long as there
    >> is no busy activity of the hard disk or the CD-ROM)
    >>
    >> Any help appreciated (preferrably by e-mail since I do not
    >> routinely read all the hardware newsgroups)...
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >>
    >> - Clemens

    ROGIE25> This problem is usually in the cable: this board has dual
    ROGIE25> IDE controllers, but you will often find that the devices
    ROGIE25> are set as master / slave on the primary controller with
    ROGIE25> the secondary set up without any devices on it.  Move the
    ROGIE25> CD-ROM to master on the secondary controller and as often
    ROGIE25> as not your problem will go away.  If this doesn't help
    ROGIE25> re-post here and I will attempt some other
    ROGIE25> troubleshooting.

hmmm...

I have the hard disk as master on IDE1,
a CD-writer as master on IDE2 and the 32xTEAC CDROM as slave on IDE2

(the flicker was also there before I added the CD-writer to the
machine --- at that time the TEAC was master on IDE 2)

could it still be a problem of the IDE-cables?

Cheers,

- Clemens

--
Prof. Dr. Clemens Beckstein   http://www.minet.uni-jena.de/fakultaet/beckstein/
Friedrich-Schiller-Universitaet Jena     Phone: Intl.+49/3641/9-46350 + 9-46301

From: Bob Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Macromate ethernet card works
Date: 19 Mar 1999 20:11:47 GMT

If anyone is interested I have succesfully installed a macromate MN-220P
ethernet card with kernel 2.0.36 as a NE2000 clone. The card is
inexpensive, ~15$ US but it does work.